View Full Version : Who among us offers this?

Noel Lising
February 1st, 2011, 08:43 AM
I came upon a very interesting concept and would like to know who among our peers offers this? If so how much are you charging? I think I can get someone to this for me for $ 200, offer it for $ 500. You think $ 500 too much? Hosting free for a year. It is a nice come on for clients.

Tasha and Brett - Our Wedding Video (http://tashabrett.co.nr/)

Bart Wierzbicki
February 1st, 2011, 08:54 AM
what do you mean ?
Just a website with several videos for the couple ?

Noel Lising
February 1st, 2011, 09:04 AM
Yes the website with several videos, broken down into prep, ceremony, etc.

Nigel Barker
February 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM
If you pay someone $200 to create a site like that then you have more money than sense & as for re-selling at $500? Well, that is verging on a rip-off. That website would take all of half an hour to create. It's just a single page with a bunch of images linking to videos on YouTube.

I am not knocking the concept as I know that some offer this sort of service as part of their wedding video package but the implementation has to be nicer than that sample page. There are already free or very low cost (<$50) websites for pre & post wedding use by the couple that are 100x better than the one that you linked to.

GettingMarried.co.uk - Create Your Free Wedding Website (http://www.gettingmarried.co.uk/)
Free wedding websites - personal wedding website templates, wedding planning, wedding coordinator (http://www.worldwidewedding.com/)

Noel Lising
February 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM
I did not know that it takes less than 30 minutes to make, and if $ 500 is a rip-off then it makes no sense for me to offer the services as it would be a waste of time and effort for me. It used to be a $ 400 charge for a personalized wedding site but I guess times are changing.

thanks

Claire Buckley
February 1st, 2011, 01:09 PM
Not really thirty minutes, after all you've got to upload those video sections to YouTube - sigh!

I would say it's about 2 hours work with the html. But here in "Europe" this syrupy smooze hasn't reached us yet. But there will be some trying no doubt.

:)

Rainer Listing
February 1st, 2011, 03:10 PM
There are already free or very low cost (<$50) websites for pre & post wedding use by the couple that are 100x better than the one that you linked to.

Like he said.

Chris Harding
February 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hi Noel

I have always given the couple a "free" web page. I upload their shortened ceremony to YouTube anyway (for use as my own samples) so to change a few names on an html page and embed the YT code takes a very short time indeed. People that couldn't make it to the wedding at least can watch the ceremony online and it's a nice selling feature.

If it's going to mean a bit of extra work for you then you could always incorporate it into your "package price" to cover the extra cost. My brides do think it's a good idea but I must admit I have never got as fancy as your sample...I just have the couple's name and date on the page and a clip up to 15 mins maximum!!!

Chris

Lance Watts
February 2nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
The website might take 30 minutes for the initial build (or you could just find a template online). Thereafter, it only take seconds to customize for each couple.

Noel Lising
February 3rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the inputs guys/gal. I will do some research and check if the on-line templates available is very user friendly, otherwise I might just drop the idea.

Chris Davis
February 3rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
I tried selling that as an upgrade about five years ago. No bites. The problem I ran into is that anyone who was interested in a wedding website knew they could do it themselves at any of a number of wedding portals.

Josh Swan
February 3rd, 2011, 11:51 AM
I would probably charge in the range of $400-$500 for this. You still have to edit each segment and export them separately, then upload each clip. I bet you would have 3-4 hr invested from start to finish easily.

Sophie Bucks
February 9th, 2011, 06:11 PM
The thing is what can you offer the couple thats new. Why would they want to have a wedding website. If for example you used Vimeo pro to show them HD (thats if you filmed in HD) then that might be of interest to them. Or if you ripped still from the footage that might be of use. However I would think it may be part of a wedding package rather than a paid for extra.

Buba Kastorski
February 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I give it 'free' to all my clients, highlights reel right after the wedding, and when it's done full wedding video online, nothing is free, but I mean i don't charge extra for this, and I am not doing it because i am a nice guy, well i am, but,
there is a big clickable logo of mine on the page and hidden hit counter, full wedding video is for the family members and very close friends and it's a nice touch , but the highlights page sometimes has over 300-400 unique hits within a few days, once I got 1100 hits in two days, not all, but many, click on my logo on that page and go to my website. I know that 'free' feature brings me new clients.

Michael Clark
February 10th, 2011, 10:19 AM
For those of you that add this as a free standard with your packages, when you initially added it to your package, did you increase the price as a result? In other words, is it really built into the overall cost?

Sophie Bucks
February 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Well, i suppose ultimately it come from the marketing budget. We have just started to offer it again as we got the business model a bit skewed before. As part of the marketing budget it makes sense, as Buba says it does really drive traffic to your site and more plays on your Vimeo videos.

Noel Lising
February 10th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks Buba and Sophie for your input. To be honest for me doing something like that is Rocket Science, so unless I find a free website where in I just embed the video, I would have to pay someone to do it for me.

Sophie Bucks
February 11th, 2011, 06:57 AM
If HTML is a nightmare then you could try a free blog site, that is pretty simple to use once you get the hang of it. Or a free forum site like forum motion (something like that) then clients can leave messages which keeps google interested. Which is always a good thing.
But anyway good luck Noel

Roger Van Duyn
February 12th, 2011, 07:57 AM
The last few weddings I've done, the bride or groom just put the short I made for them on their Facebook page. None of them have had any trouble doing it. Of course, they are educated people. The same short I use for Vimeo and YouTube also works for them on Facebook. I didn't have to tell them how to do it. They already knew how. I haven't done a wedding for a couple lately who weren't at least somewhat tech-savvy, or who lacked tech-savvy friends.

Once they've paid for my time to produce the short, it's theirs.

Michael Clark
February 12th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Roger, I actually about a year ago created a facebook page for my video stuff. After the B&G have reviewed the short, I'll post a link to my website from facebook, and tag the B&G in the post. This way it appears on both of their pages, and is a great networking tool to direct prospects to my website. I do provide them with a disc of the HD mp4 files, but they are in 1080p, which doesn't work as well with facebook (choppy playback at least right now...maybe not in a year). I've actually not had a couple re-post their 1080p version after I post the link to the 720p version on my website (vimeo embedded). That's just one way to slice it, I guess...

Roger Van Duyn
February 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Michael,

I've thought a little about using Facebook for my videos too. But my Facebook account is a big mess. Friends of mine with legions of friends, and tons of posts just flooding in. And 99.9% of it just meaningless fluff. It's like spam only worse. I don't see how I could really accomplish anything with Facebook.

Of course, I don't text with my phone either.

I really think I should learn to play golf. Other business people I know tell me about the deals they've made playing golf. And some guys I know have made deals fishing and hunting too.

Chris Harding
February 15th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hi Roger

You can actually create a unique page on Facebook that's away from your social account page and all your friends and meaningless spam doesn't go anywhere near it!! People can become "fans" of your page but not "friends" ...it more like a business thing rather than the social side!!!

I have had one for a year but don't get that many people visiting..then again just one bride who clicks on my website link on the page and books her wedding with me makes it worthwhile keeping the page up.

Chris

Sophie Bucks
March 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM
This this an example of what we do Wedding Lanesborough Hotel (http://www.wedding-video-saramatthew.com) for each wedding client. It is actually pretty simple and adds value to the overall product, because it is so convenient for the client to have all that content online.