View Full Version : The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Andy Wilkinson
December 30th, 2011, 04:57 AM
And to you too Mark - and everyone else who has helped make this area of the forum so useful!

500 posts (501 now...) and 65,500 views in just shy of a year. Not bad for a tiny little cam.

I guess it's yet more evidence that these little Panny's punch well above their weight - as many shots in Mark R's latest video will easily confirm.

Glen Vandermolen
January 1st, 2012, 09:43 AM
I just got a TM900. They're really selling cheap now, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a new model coming out soon. I noticed Panny has discontinued the TM90.

I'm thinking about adding an external mike, as the on-board mikes pick up a lot of handling noise. Anyone recommend a relatively cheap mike, perhaps a Rode model?

Andy Wilkinson
January 1st, 2012, 09:54 AM
Rode Videomic Pro is definitely the one I'd recommend - search back in this thread and on the Audio section and you'll see a number of posts and pics by me (the first lot on Page 6). Note that the original Rode Videomic is way too big for general use on the TM900!

Someone had good success with the new small, stereo Nikon mic (ME-1 was the code I think) so that's a possible option [Note, I did not initially think the TM900 would power it but this was later shown to be perfectly possible by another poster - Ian, on page 24 - but he did comment that it was "good at picking up wind noise"].

I (generally) read about variable results with the Sennheisser MKE400 mic so look at that one very carefully before you consider buying it.

Those would be my suggestions.

Glen Vandermolen
January 1st, 2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks, Andy.
That Rode looks positively huge on the TM900! And I see you had problems getting yours to fit on the mount.

Steve Loeffler
January 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
I currently own an HMC-80 and use it as a primary cam. It's an awesome cam until it gets into low light. My back-up cam is still my old Sony VX-2100. It's great in low light but only shoots SD and lousy 16:9. Like me, it's getting old too. When I film a wedding, I'll use the Sony as a stationary at the rear of the church. As many would attest, it's a pain to edit SD footage into a HD production.
What are your opinions or experiences with using this TM900 as a secondary cam to one of Pani's other AVCHD cams such as the HMC-150, HMC-40/80. I'm in the market but like to do my research first.
A search did not turn up anything with this subject matter so please except my apologies if I missed a thread in the 500+ on this cam.

Thanks!

Jay Bloomfield
January 2nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
I just got a TM900. They're really selling cheap now, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a new model coming out soon. I noticed Panny has discontinued the TM900.

Is it really discontinued? The two comparable models in this price range in Japan are the TM750 and the Z10000:

panasonic.jp via Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpanasonic.jp%2F)

(click on the Products link and then Digital Video Camera link.)

The former looks like the TM900 and the latter doesn't resemble anything else in the Panasonic US consumer video line. I'd be thinking that Panasonic would replace the TM900 with something that would compete with the Sony NEX-VG20, but what do I know?

Mark Evans
January 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
I have just been looking through the thread for advice on monopods and fluid heads etc. the Manfrotto 561BHDV1 comes recommended with the fluid head included but I would like to know if for the TM900 it is really necessary to have such a large sized monopod for such a small camera? Would one of the smaller offerings from Manfrotto or another manufacturer be sufficient? Also can one get away without a fluid head using only a monopod at a pinch? I am keen on saving weight and space at the expense of some loss of functionality. I do though want smooth pan shots!

What would you recommend?

Glen Vandermolen
January 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
Is it really discontinued? The two comparable models in this price range in Japan are the TM750 and the Z10000:

panasonic.jp via Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpanasonic.jp%2F)

(click on the Products link and then Digital Video Camera link.)

The former looks like the TM900 and the latter doesn't resemble anything else in the Panasonic US consumer video line. I'd be thinking that Panasonic would replace the TM900 with something that would compete with the Sony NEX-VG20, but what do I know?

My original post says the TM90 - not the TM900 - is discontinued. How did my text change when you quoted me??

Roger Shealy
January 3rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
I have just been looking through the thread for advice on monopods and fluid heads etc. the Manfrotto 561BHDV1 comes recommended with the fluid head included but I would like to know if for the TM900 it is really necessary to have such a large sized monopod for such a small camera? Would one of the smaller offerings from Manfrotto or another manufacturer be sufficient? Also can one get away without a fluid head using only a monopod at a pinch? I am keen on saving weight and space at the expense of some loss of functionality. I do though want smooth pan shots!

Mark,

I use the Monfrotto 561B, which is a fine monopod. I also have its smaller brother, the 560B-1 with the same 3 short feet and fluid coupler at the base. The 560B-1 is shorter (66" vs 79") , lighter, and comes with the 234RC head which is not suited for smooth video tilting.

560b-1 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=560b-1&N=0&InitialSearch=yes)

I removed the 234RC head and replaced it with the Velbon PH-368 for $29 from B&H.

Velbon PH-368 2-Way Panhead PH-368 B&H Photo Video

This head will not impress your friends, but works very well in this application, especially for tilt only. I lock the pan on the head and use the Monfrotto's fluid foot and use the tilt on the Velbon head. The Velbon is a slightly bulkier than I'd like, but is very smooth and the overall package is light, and inexpensive. You could certainly mount a different head, should you choose to do so. The larger 561B has the sliding mounting plate for balancing the camera, which really isn't much of an issue for the TM900. The larger 561B has a non adjustable tilt counterbalance, requiring you to hold the handle on the light TM900 in many situations to keep the head from springing back towards level. The 561B is the more professional rig, but is really suited better for heavier cameras.

All in all, I tend to use the shorter, less expensive 560B-1 with the TM900 unless I need the extra height. Both pods benefit from an occasional drop of WD-40 or other light oil on the lower fluid coupling's ball-joint to keep it moving buttery smooth. Great gear.

Dan Carter
January 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM

Mark,

You'll be fine with the smaller 560B-1. Also, if you tighten the bottom ball joint slightly, it will function correctly and also allow the monopod to stand on its own with supervision. The unit is very versatile in that you can use no head or any smaller fluid head for tilts.

This entire project was shot with the 560B-1 and GH2:

Living on the Edge (Grand Canyon Historic Structures) on Vimeo

Carol Berman
January 5th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Hello - I'm just back from my trip to Africa and I want to thank everyone here for all of the great advice I got before I left.

I may not have professional quality video, but I am sure that I have the best amateur footage ever! It didn't hurt that the lead guide on my trip was the guide for Alan Root when he shot his Serengeti documentaries for the BBC.

The main components that I ended up using were:
Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 Fluid Video Monopod with Head
Giottos AA1501 Tripod Strap for Giottos and Manfrotto Tripods
Petrol Deca Mini Hood for Camcorders with 3.5" LCD Monitor Screens, Rigid Panels
Nikon ME-1 Stereo Microphone for Digital SLR Cameras
Micover Slipover Windscreen for Nikon ME-1

The monopod worked out really well. I did most of my shooting out of the roof of the car while standing on the back of the car seats. The mini legs at the bottom helped with stability, and the extra length enabled me to place the base on the floor of the car and stabilize the monopod with a beanbag at the edge of the roof opening. Panning and tilting and stabilizing were not perfect, but half the instability was caused by my sister and friend moving around in the car.

The hood was very helpful for shooting in the bright sun. I used a capacitive stylus to reach the touchscreen when the hood was in place.

The Nikon ME-1 with the windscreen worked very well, although there is so much talking going while I was shooting I doubt I have much sound I can use!

I ended up shooting mostly in automatic mode. Things moved so quickly that just getting into place and getting the animals framed correctly was about all I could manage. In a few cases, I used the backlight compensation feature and I used the manual focus mode for shots where I had to zoom in above 20 or 30x. I tried using the prerecord feature, but in reality I ended up with a lot of footage in the beginning of shots or even in the middle of shots that just needs to be cut.

The main limitations that I had were the ability to zoom in further while maintaining quality shots and the lack of better stabilization with more fine-tuned zooming, panning, and tilting. But that is the difference between filming Big Cat Diaries and going on vacation.

I've just started uploading some of my unedited video:
Male lions - YouTube (http://youtu.be/vQ3d-Vk1B6c)

My next step is to figure out how serious I want to get about editing this video. I've definitely been bit by the bug. My guide, an assistant guide who has a serious interest in recording Masai culture before it is lost, a Masai tracker who does a wonderful job bridging the gap between his culture and ours, and I all have a dream to make a documentary on the stages of life for a Masai warrior, centered around the tracker's graduation to Masai elder in the next two years. I'm serious enough that I left behind all of my video equipment so that they can start filming without me. (Glad to hear how the price of the TM900 has come down!)

I will be posting some more of my video over the next few days as I get it uploaded.

Tom Hardwick
January 6th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Great to get the real-world feedback Carol and the detail in your lion shots is staggering. This is unprocessed footage straight from the 900? You talk of 30x zoom - you're happy with that digital zoom look? And I hear what you say about the voices near your mic.

You left behind all your equipment? What? Just came back with the SD cards?

tom.

Carol Berman
January 6th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I know its a little crazy sounding, but yes, I came home only with my SD cards. Sometimes the right thing to do is a little crazy. My guide was so generous to me to help me bring home "National Geographic" video. It was obvious to me that as helpful as he was to photographers, his heart was in video. Without ever saying so, I knew he'd had a dream when working for BBC that he could one day shoot his own video. Also, once I had the idea about the documentary, it was obvious that it was also the dream of the other guide and the Masai tracker to document Masai culture. These three men had a profound impact on me on my trip. It was so transforming that I am not sure who I am anymore now that I am home.

I had had experiences like this traveling when I was younger, but it was a long time ago. I had recently lost my parents and some friends and battled some health issues which left me feeling stronger ties to the dead than to the living. I signed up for this trip in an act of optimism about the rest of my life and it definitely delivered! Leaving my equipment was another act of optimism.

It also does not hurt that I can work a couple of days and replace my equipment. The question is, what to replace it with. I love the TM900, but I also think I might want something where I can add a bigger zoom lens. I will probably wait until I see what I will use the camera for and concentrate on editing for now.

As for my video, the lion video was unprocessed video straight from the camera. I am trying to upload unprocessed clips for the others on my trip, since it will take time for me to edit the video. (I returned with 5 full 32GB SD cards.)

I haven't been able to evaluate the zoom yet. In a choice between using the zoom or not getting the shot, I used the zoom. In the beginning of the trip when I didn't know how close I would be later in the trip, I used the zoom more. I got more discerning as the trip went on. Without my camera, the only way I can play my video on my big screen tv's is across my network and that is tied up with uploading the video to YouTube.

Here are a couple more links that have uploaded:
Giraffes - YouTube (http://youtu.be/1zpzNncrmEw)
Leopard - YouTube (http://youtu.be/eqb8ttlh4T0)
Lioness with Cubs - YouTube (http://youtu.be/XBpeOvzkQrQ)

Carol

David Cordero
January 6th, 2012, 05:32 PM
It's my first post here but I have been a reading tons of helpful information on this forum ever since I registered. I purchased my TM900 and I just started to use this camcorder to take sports. I've recently started to edit my 1080 60p footage on Premiere Pro CS5 and have tried to output this to DVD via Encore CS5.
I did a 5 minute game preview video, and it completed with no problems. However, the full 28 minute game video is giving me problems. When I start to "build project" in Encore, it will start the process but after less than a minute, it will show an error saying "Encode Failed". I've checked my settings for both the 5 minute video, and the 28 minute video, but I have not seen any differences. The preview and the full video have the same source material (from the TM900 1080 60p) together with simple video and audio transitions, and some music. I have searched both this site and google, but I have not seen any specific information that can help me resolve this. I was unsure if I should post it in this thread or there is a more appropriate place to post.
I have made another video project using my canon dslr footage, and output to DVD using Encore. And I have not experienced this same problem. Which is making me start to think that it may have something to do with the TM900 file format working with Encore?
I'd appreciate any guidance.

David Cordero
January 6th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Just an update - I tried another method and I was able to get it to work.
I exported the project from Premiere as media into a MPEG2-DVD format. And then, I imported the file into Encore as a timeline. It seems that Encore does not transcode it anymore, and the quality seems good for a DVD.

Corey Graham
January 7th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Which is making me start to think that it may have something to do with the TM900 file format working with Encore?
I'd appreciate any guidance.

My first thought is that maybe it has something to to with the 60fps. Was your sequence in Premiere 60p or 30p? Perhaps if you're bringing a 1080/60p sequence into Encore to encode, it doesn't like it.

Alastair Traill
January 8th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Re Mercalli ver 2

I have been using a trial version of this program and everything seems fine except for the fact that I cannot remove the the red diagonal lines on the final clip. I suspect that they are only in the trial version but there is no mention of them in the Prodad site. So far no one has replied to my eMails. Can anyone confirm that these lines are only in the trial copy?

Alastair Traill
January 8th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Re Mercalli Ver. 2's red diagonal lines.

I have just had an eMail from Prodad. The red lines are in the trial version only - to remove just pay money.
It seems to be easy to use.

How does it compare with Adobe's Warp Stabiliser?

Mike Hinkel
January 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Is there any way to use a wireless mic along with a shotgun mic on the TM900?

Roger Shealy
January 8th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Should be able use a Y-cable breakout from 1/8" stereo male plug to two mono female plugs.

Mike Hinkel
January 8th, 2012, 09:18 PM
That is what I was thinking, Roger. I have a y-adapter type plug with a 1/8 " male with two RCA females. There is a similar adapter with 1/8 " sockets. My concern would be if the stereo is affected.

David Cordero
January 8th, 2012, 09:46 PM
My first thought is that maybe it has something to to with the 60fps. Was your sequence in Premiere 60p or 30p? Perhaps if you're bringing a 1080/60p sequence into Encore to encode, it doesn't like it.

I'm not near my workstation so I cant be sure what setting I have. I do remember not being able to determine the best format to set the sequence in Premier to match the Panasonic 1080 60p format. I did want to "export it to media" in mp4 format in 30 fps but this has no consequence when I tried to do the same project to linked over to Encore. I used the Link function in Premier so I don't believe Premiere had done any file transcoding yet. What really bugged me is that it worked for the 5 minute video while it would not even begin encoding for the 27 minute video. However, I found an acceptable workaround.

Roger Shealy
January 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM
That is what I was thinking, Roger. I have a y-adapter type plug with a 1/8 " male with two RCA females. There is a similar adapter with 1/8 " sockets. My concern would be if the stereo is affected.

Mike,

I've used this with the TM900 already (Y1/8" Male stereo to 2, 1/8" female mono's). I don't think there is a way to individually control the separate channels on the TM900. If you can't figure a way to level the channels individually you'll need to base your levels on the hotter of the two channels and adjust levels up on the weaker channel in post. I was using two identical Sennheiser wireless mic's, so they were fairly balanced.

Adam Folickman
January 9th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Carol,

Where in Africa did you go ?

Mike Hinkel
January 9th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks Roger. I thought that I'd have to balance the audio in post. My plan was for a voice behind the camera with a wireless set up and a shotgun mic on the camera. I have the best in audio abilities with Vegas Pro so I guess I can experiment to see what I can accomplish. Thanks for your reply..

Roger Shealy
January 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Great Mike. I use Vegas as well, upgraded to 11 a couple months ago. Let me know if you need help finding the cable or have any other questions.

David Pritchard
January 10th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hello guys, I'm new here and i've just purchased this cam along with a steadytracker ultralite and this thread really helped me make the decision to dump my old sony hc1 and go with this cam!

I'm a semi pro videographer who lives in Phuket, Thailand but I'm English. Most the stuff I shoot is action as I make the videos for Sinbi Muay Thai camp and do training montages for the students on request.

Heres a couple of examples, the first is the usual kinda fast paced shooting I do and the second was me trying to be a bit more arty! Both shot on my sony hc1. I know this part is a little unrelated but I thought it may be interesting to others see someone shooting this kind of content on the tm900. Even if I am well below the skill level of most of you guys but hoping to change that!

Gaston "Tonga" Reyno Training at Sinbi Muay Thai and Fight Highlights - YouTube

Sinbi Thai Fighters Training for War - YouTube

Soo! I edit using adobe premier pro 5.5 and noticed that the raw footage shot in 1080/60p isnt as sharp as I'd expected during motion. I mean I thought progressive meant there would be no image bleeding which I believed was when someone moves, you get a slight shadow of their last movement. Its a lot better than on my old Sony Cam but still I just wanted to check if this is normal. I had the cam on auto in sports mode for the test. I'll be shooting my first video on the steadycam with this, sometime this week.

David Pritchard
January 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Just wondering as well. Has anyone seen any short movies produced on this camera? I dont mean clips of nature etc I mean a planned scene in some kind of film. I'm planning on making a documentary pretty soon and would love to see what others have achieved with the same camera.

Carol Berman
January 10th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Adam-
I went to Tanzania on Wilderness Travel's Serengeti Wildlife Safari which I cannot recommend enough. They change their locations through the year so that they follow the migration. Their guides and staff are fabulous, the lodges and tent camps extremely comfortable, the food is good, we always felt well taken care of. Definitely a trip of a lifetime.

WT Serengeti Wildlife Safari (http://www.wildernesstravel.com/trip/tanzania/serengeti-wildlife-safari)

I knew I would love the wildlife, but I had no idea how much I would fall in love with Africa. I cannot wait to go back.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you want any more info.

Carol

Bill Bruner
January 11th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Just wondering as well. Has anyone seen any short movies produced on this camera? I dont mean clips of nature etc I mean a planned scene in some kind of film. I'm planning on making a documentary pretty soon and would love to see what others have achieved with the same camera.

David,

There are a few out there.

Here is the best I could find. Well lit, acted and edited: The Remote - YouTube

Others:

Disturbed - Short Film - YouTube

Getaway - Intense Short Film Downtown Portland - YouTube

The Working Man, 2011 - YouTube

Remember to Forget - YouTube

I know there are more, but I didn't have time for a more thorough search.

I just ordered the camera, and intend to do some narrative work with it, so this was a useful exercise for me too :-)

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution (http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com)

David Pritchard
January 11th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks, some good finds :)

So I filmed last night with it and have uploaded the file to our youtube channel. I'm not happy with the first attempt... Doesnt look as sharp as I'd like and the colours aren't very bright. I shot in manual mode, setting my own iris, I think 60 shutter speed shooting at 29.7 fps. I left auto focus on because I feel I maybe need more practice with the ring before I try focusing myself on something so fast.

Another problem I seem to be getting with all the 29.fps stuff is a lot of rolling shutter on fast movements. As in lines going down the image. Is this something I can correct with the manual settings or do I just have to stick with 60fps for fast action?

Teresa (Sinbi Muay Thai) Wins by TKO - YouTube

Also I'm a little confused about shutter speeds. I was using a shutter speed of 60 when I was getting the shutter roll so maybe this was the cause? In 29. fps. Im going to go shoot in 60p now and I would assume that means I'd have to double the shutter speed to 120 - 180(fast motion) if I was to keep the rule of doubling up but some places say jfor 60i its still 100 max. Can anyone please clarify and sorry for all these questions!

Rob Easler
January 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Here are some deeper pics of the X900m replacing the TM900 in February. Notice the dreaded fan is still there.

David Cordero
January 11th, 2012, 06:59 PM

So I filmed last night with it and have uploaded the file to our youtube channel. I'm not happy with the first attempt... Doesnt look as sharp as I'd like and the colours aren't very bright. I shot in manual mode, setting my own iris, I think 60 shutter speed shooting at 29.7 fps. I left auto focus on because I feel I maybe need more practice with the ring before I try focusing myself on something so fast.

Another problem I seem to be getting with all the 29.fps stuff is a lot of rolling shutter on fast movements. As in lines going down the image. Is this something I can correct with the manual settings or do I just have to stick with 60fps for fast action?

Teresa (Sinbi Muay Thai) Wins by TKO - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL6wmuHkUkA)

Also I'm a little confused about shutter speeds. I was using a shutter speed of 60 when I was getting the shutter roll so maybe this was the cause? In 29. fps. Im going to go shoot in 60p now and I would assume that means I'd have to double the shutter speed to 120 - 180(fast motion) if I was to keep the rule of doubling up but some places say jfor 60i its still 100 max. Can anyone please clarify and sorry for all these questions!

I am also trying to get the optimal shutter speed for taking soccer action. I have a preview video on my website of a recent game. I had most settings on manual except autofocus. I was using 1080 60p so I can do slow motion without too much degradation. My shutter speed was set at 60.

In the same gallery, there is another game I shot using my canon 60D. I dont recall the shutter speeds but it may be within 1/60 to 1/125. I was changing the shutter speeds during the game which accounts for the different exposures in some scenes.. my learning is to choose a middle range shutter speed and stick with it throughout the game as I do not want to fix this in post. With the Canon, I think I should be increasing the shutter speed to 1/250 or higher to get more fluid motion of a fast pace sport, and of course balancing with the amount of light possible so I get a wider dof.

Here is the TM900 shot:
RHR 96 Fall - Winter 2011 - David Cordero's Photos | SmugMug (http://www.davidcordero.ca/Soccer/Richmond-Hill-Raiders-96/RHR-96-Fall-Winter-2011/20410370_2dmTmD#!i=1658176021&k=pPPdFRB)

Here is the Canon 60D:
RHR 96 Fall - Winter 2011 - David Cordero's Photos | SmugMug (http://www.davidcordero.ca/Soccer/Richmond-Hill-Raiders-96/RHR-96-Fall-Winter-2011/20410370_2dmTmD#!i=1641645276&k=TfNbX26)

My next project is to sort out color correction in post. I recently did an indoor shot with different light sources (natural light, and halogen light), and both cameras were too different in rendering color that I have to rethink my strategy of mixing footage between these two cameras. I just started to try may hand in Premiere's tools but it is quite cumbersome especially since I had some footage on auto white balance because the TM900 couldn't handle the mix of colors very well! Either the halogen was too yellow or the natural light was too blue. I personally liked the Canon's rendering of the color, and I had more control by just choosing the Kelvin setting.

David Cordero
January 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I just realized my 2 links go to the same gallery.
The TM900 video is the Snow Globe Tournament, while the RHR96 vs Dixie 97 A is the Canon 60D video.

David Pritchard
January 11th, 2012, 09:38 PM
test - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itTTxbR2Paw&feature=youtu.be)

Well I uploaded that so you can see about my shutter problem... only wierd thing is, when i played the same file through on another computer the problem isnt there... could my graphics card be doing something?

Well wow, Ive just realized it changes place each time... so its not rolling shutter on the camera its being created by my graphics card and even after rendering and compiling then uploading to youtube it stays in the file, errors created by my graphics card I guess. When I'm importing I'm just dragging straight from folder to folder.

Anyone got any idea??? :(

Mark Evans
January 12th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Mark,

I use the Monfrotto 561B, which is a fine monopod. I also have its smaller brother, the 560B-1 with the same 3 short feet and fluid coupler at the base. The 560B-1 is shorter (66" vs 79") , lighter, and comes with the 234RC head which is not suited for smooth video tilting.

560b-1 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=560b-1&N=0&InitialSearch=yes)

I removed the 234RC head and replaced it with the Velbon PH-368 for $29 from B&H.

Velbon PH-368 2-Way Panhead PH-368 B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/152289-REG/Velbon_PH_368_PH_368_2_Way_Panhead.html)

This head will not impress your friends, but works very well in this application, especially for tilt only. I lock the pan on the head and use the Monfrotto's fluid foot and use the tilt on the Velbon head. The Velbon is a slightly bulkier than I'd like, but is very smooth and the overall package is light, and inexpensive. You could certainly mount a different head, should you choose to do so. The larger 561B has the sliding mounting plate for balancing the camera, which really isn't much of an issue for the TM900. The larger 561B has a non adjustable tilt counterbalance, requiring you to hold the handle on the light TM900 in many situations to keep the head from springing back towards level. The 561B is the more professional rig, but is really suited better for heavier cameras.

All in all, I tend to use the shorter, less expensive 560B-1 with the TM900 unless I need the extra height. Both pods benefit from an occasional drop of WD-40 or other light oil on the lower fluid coupling's ball-joint to keep it moving buttery smooth. Great gear.

Thanks Roger and Dan

I wil call in to a local camera shop when I get the chance and have a look at the Mafrotto 560B-1. It is light and looks to be what I am looking for. Thanks for the help!

Mark

Phil Lee
January 12th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Hi

Here are some deeper pics of the X900m replacing the TM900 in February. Notice the dreaded fan is still there.

Yep noticed the fan was still there in some other images I saw. So same heat producing LSI and hardware.

Also notice the cost reduction of having no covers protecting the connections!

It is basically the TM900 with a rejigged lens to favour a wider angle at the cost of zoom, and a claimed better OIS. The 3D aspect of the LCD display is just expense spent I don't need.

The only honesty from Panasonic PR is that the model number remains the same. Good I don't feel the need to replace my current camera, but not good for Panasonic.

Regards

Phil

Mark Ahrens
January 12th, 2012, 07:04 AM
I am also trying to get the optimal shutter speed for taking soccer action My shutter speed was set at 60.

In the same gallery, there is another game I shot using my canon 60D. With the Canon, I think I should be increasing the shutter speed to 1/250 or higher to get more fluid motion of a fast pace sport, and of course balancing with the amount of light possible so I get a wider dof.

My next project is to sort out color correction in post.

I wouldn't call a higher shutter speed more fluid, but it will remove the motion blur, obviously. I try to shoot at the highest possible shutter speed for sports - minimum 125 max 500. Some disagree, due to the stuttering effect during pans, especially with progressive shooting; but, in my opinion it's a trade-off i'm willing to make to get a clear image of the players performance. My wife hates the 'strobing effect' and has to look away- she'd prefer motion blur to the stop action effect of a high shutter.

I never use auto white balance - it can cycle between between the 2 points the camera selects as optimal.

What lens are you using with your 60D? A fixed aperture 2.8 would be optimal. It's on my list to get.
I've not tried using my 60D for sports events yet . . . i'd be giving up too much in focal range. I may try it for a special shoot focused on a single player, but to cover the whole game my tele lens doesn't go wide enough.

Colin Rowe
January 12th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Teresa (Sinbi Muay Thai) Wins by TKO - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL6wmuHkUkA)

Looks about right for interior shots. The TM900 is not renowned for low light work. Regarding shutter speed, if you increase it to 120 the image, in low light/interior shots, is going to darken considerably.
Hope this helps.

David Cordero
January 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't call a higher shutter speed more fluid, but it will remove the motion blur, obviously. I try to shoot at the highest possible shutter speed for sports - minimum 125 max 500. Some disagree, due to the stuttering effect during pans, especially with progressive shooting; but, in my opinion it's a trade-off i'm willing to make to get a clear image of the players performance. My wife hates the 'strobing effect' and has to look away- she'd prefer motion blur to the stop action effect of a high shutter.

I never use auto white balance - it can cycle between between the 2 points the camera selects as optimal.

What lens are you using with your 60D? A fixed aperture 2.8 would be optimal. It's on my list to get.
I've not tried using my 60D for sports events yet . . . i'd be giving up too much in focal range. I may try it for a special shoot focused on a single player, but to cover the whole game my tele lens doesn't go wide enough.

Yes it's a balance between motion blur and strobing for the 60D which I still have to find the sweet spot for. And I agree with auto white balance.. unfortunately, the TM900 is not very versatile in this respect compared to the Canon 60D.

I use a 24-105 F4 for soccer video. I try to get it at 5.6 aperture as a bigger aperture is a real pain to try to keep in focus due to depth of field. Zooming and focusing and trying to keep track of the soccer ball in a fast game is not for the faint of heart. I've done previous games at night in F4, and it is a nightmare to keep in focus. That is why I will be shooting at 5.6 in good light where possible. I use the Zacuto viewfinder. Right now I am leaning towards the Tm900 for soccer as it is much easier to use, and the fluid motion is quite good. My plan was to do multicam for soccer which is why I got the TM900..but as gain more experience I will reserve a multicam shoot for special games.

David Pritchard
January 14th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Training Montage "Street Fighter" @ Sinbi Muay Thai on Vimeo

So my first fully edited video, 3 mins long training montage of one of our students. A beginner. Uses a fair bit colour editing to get that movie look (at least I attempted to)

Dennis Freeman
January 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Hi All,
I am new to this forum. I got my TM900 just a few days ago. I have some questions I would like to pose to the members to see what their experience is.
1. Is anyone using the new Laxar Class 10 128 gig chip, and if so what has your reaction to it been?
2. What auxillary microphone is best used with this camcorder?
3. What wide angle accessory are people using?
Thanks in advance,
Dennis Freeman

Al Bergstein
January 16th, 2012, 01:35 AM
I have the Panasonic wide angle lens. Works great. Wouldn't be without it.

I use the Rode Videopro mic. Works great also.

Ian Cope
January 16th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I tried Panasonics HD writer edit function last night just to put all my recent NZ trip clips into 1 file for viewing on my WD Live. Works extremely well for this as no rendering is required. Only problem is, it splits the final file into 4GB sizes. Is there any way to stop this happening??

Dennis Freeman
January 17th, 2012, 03:17 PM
The reason for the separate files is the fact that many of the editing systems will not support spanned clips i.e those occupying more than 4 gig.

Dennis Freeman
January 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Does anyone have any experience using the 128 gig Lexar chip with the TM900?
Dennis Freeman

Ian Cope
January 18th, 2012, 04:53 PM
The reason for the separate files is the fact that many of the editing systems will not support spanned clips i.e those occupying more than 4 gig.
Yes thanks, I know what it is for, I was asking if there is a way to stop it.

Dennis Freeman
January 18th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Take a look at the trial version of the Aunsoft program. I believe that it will transcode spanned clips.
Hope this helps,
Denny

George Taylor
February 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Well, as with Carol, I'm happy to report I'm back from my eight weeks in Africa (Chad). In due course, I'll write about my experiences in the Home Away From Home thread. But i want to report that I had tremendous success with the TM900 (at least I think so; I hope the more professional amongst you might critique after I can post some visual results).

Here's a rundown of the equipment I used and some of my first impressions:
- TM900 w/one each extra 130 and 260 batteries and sundry 120V/240V and 12V chargers
- Raynox .66 wide angle adapter (I am sooooooo glad I invested in this!)
- 72mm B&W polarizer from my D200 that fit the Raynox
- Azden SGM2X mic w/Stormblack windsocks, 2ft and 30ft. Audiotek cables, and CAVision fiberglass collapsible boom pole
- JuicedLink CX211 2 XLR audio adapter
- CamCaddie with accessories (priceless for kids and other low-level shots)
- 12 32GB class 6 and class 10 SDHC cards (Patriot, Lexar, and Transcend)
- 126 LED light
- HP DM1z Netbook loaded w/Panny software and USB DVD writer w/25 blank DVDs
- Manfrotto /Bogen 394 tripod w/Integrated Video/Photo head
- Kata 3N1-22 Sling Backpack w/tripod holder accessory

My friends who have seen the raw footage played from the camcorder directly to my 60” Samsung HDTV are awestruck by the clarity, brightness, and crispness of the images. I shot everything in 1080/60P, almost all of it using IA with AIS on, except when using the tripod. Like Carol, I found it too cumbersome and error-prone to try making manual adjustments on the fly.

And I’m not sure if they would have improved my images. Most of my shooting was in a village during the daytime, and the IA worked fine. I don’t see over-exposure in those shots, although, I will definitely welcome some more expert opinion in due course. I also found the exposure adjusted very quickly when I moved into different light situations.

Aside from the indelible memories of the beauty and kindness of the people of the village, the things that stick most in my mind are the shots I missed – either because my camcorder was not at hand or because of mistakes made in the heat of the moment. Examples – boy driving two oxen pulling a sled at a gallop across a setting sun (I was peeing when I realized what I was missing), twelve kids of varying heights passing by with a long, woven rattan fence hoisted over their heads looking for all the world like a human caterpillar (camcorder was in my room 100 yards away), and many more. For a while, I agonized over those missed shots; now that I’ve seen what I did get, I’m more philosophical about losing them. You can’t win ‘em all!

I used the tripod only twice, but it was worth the effort. We interviewed the three village teachers about the trials and tribulations of teaching six grades in an open air environment. Also, I took a five-minute shot of the setting sun – at or near the equator, it goes down very fast and actually disappears in the haze before it hits the horizon. I read the discussions on this thread about focusing directly into the sun, but at that low level, the intensity did not harm the image nor, I hope, the sensors.

The professionals among you will cringe when I report that I didn’t back up my cards to my netb0ook, as was my plan. It wasn’t for want of trying. The first upload did not work, and I got “recovering data” and other scary messages during the attempt. So I decided to wait and not tempt fate in the field where I had no good advice to follow. I came back with 10 full 32 GB cards and no backup. However, my netbook was a great source of entertainment for the villagers because I had loaded a bunch of African jazz and pop music as well as videos, and someone produced a couple of DVDs taken at the village a few years previously.

I will report more later on my success (or lack thereof) with the external mic and other gear. Also, I’ll upload some images –even if they are only still shots – as soon as I figure out how to do it.

My profound thanks to everyone on this thread who directly or indirectly provided invaluable advice in the months before my trip.

Finally, to Carol – I certainly understand what you must have felt and probably are still feeling emotionally about Africa and especially the people. This was my return to Africa after a 40 year absence, and it confirmed to me that I hadn’t just suffered some sort of immature emotional reaction when I left the first time those many years ago. I always knew I had to go back, and I’m confident you will return also. I don’t know who wrote it – I read it a long time ago, and I like to think it was Hemingway – but someone said no one can leave Africa without having been profoundly affected by it.

Aside from all that, Africa is a photographer’s dreamscape.

Adrian Lepki
February 6th, 2012, 11:15 AM
In due course, I'll write about my experiences in the Home Away From Home thread. But i want to report that I had tremendous success with the TM900

Congrats on the successful trip.
I am looking forward to your accounts from behind the scenes - especially the use of Raynox wide angle adapter and the JuicedLink CX211.
Adrian