View Full Version : Shall I go for the t2i?

George Logothetis
February 21st, 2011, 07:07 PM
Or wait and buy the t3i?
What are the advantages and what the differences? Aiming for video shooting.

Cheers!

Greg Fiske
February 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM
One big advantage is no overheating. That and the flip screen. But no magic lantern at this point.

Chris Barcellos
February 21st, 2011, 08:19 PM
From what I can tell, you have to decide whether the flip out screen and the ability to shoot HD from digital zoom is important to you.

Flip out will help with low and very high shots. HD Digital cropping for zoom may be grade for nature shooting. It will be interesting to see. Initially, you will probably pay $300 or more for the T3i.

Aaron Fowler
February 21st, 2011, 08:21 PM
The biggest advantage that the T3i has over the T2i is the Vari-Angle screen, which apparently on the 60D has helped resolved the overheating issues. If the same is true for the T3i then that's a big plus. The T3i has a new Video Snapshot mode that lets you take multiple short video clips (2, 4 or 8 seconds) and automatically stitches them together into one file, not sure how useful it would be, but it's there. I don't think there are any other video related advantages but the T3i is also slightly bigger and heavier than the T2i (although not by much), and will cost you more.

I have a 60D and a 550D, I love the Vari-Angle screen on the 60D although I probably only use it 10% of the time. For the most of the time the 550D is fine for my video needs although it does start to overheat in some conditions.

As for which camera you should get, I think:

If you need the new features and can afford to wait you should get the T3i
If you can't wait or don't need the new features then get the T2i
If you can't wait but still need the Vari-Angle screen, get the 60D (if you can afford it)

Although in the end the decision is up to you! :-) Happy Buying George!

EDIT: Oh, High Def digital crop could be a good feature too (I must have missed that one, good spotting Chris)

Rusty Rogers
February 21st, 2011, 10:35 PM
As the T3i becomes more available, are retailers lowering T2i prices? Is Canon offering any rebates?

Alexandru Cristescu
February 21st, 2011, 11:02 PM
I recently added a 60D and completely fell in love with DSLRS. At this point I will be selling my canon a1 and adding another DSLR for a B cam. At first I was thinking of adding another 60d but with the prices Im seeing for a T2i its a no brainer. The extra hundred $ could be well spent on extra gear or maybe even toward a lens. the swivel screen is a nice touch, If i didnt have the 60d as my main it would be something to really think about.

Chris Barcellos
February 22nd, 2011, 12:15 AM
Sacramento Valley well represented here... Alex what kind of stuff you doing ?

Alexandru Cristescu
February 22nd, 2011, 12:31 AM
Sure looks that way huh Chris. I do mostly wedding and some ENG as a freelancer for KTXL. What about yourself?

Chris Barcellos
February 22nd, 2011, 01:01 AM
Narrative and nature mainly...I'll send PM

Joel Peregrine
February 22nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hi George,

I'm in a similar situation but am waiting to find out a few things - mainly have they fixed the overheating issue, will Magic Lantern work on the T3i and will it use the same batteries and battery grip. Canon has refurbished T2i bodies in its store for $640:

Canon Direct Store- EOS Rebel T2i Body Refurbished (http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_267071_-1)

...though that really isn't that much different than what they are going for new...

Or wait and buy the t3i?
What are the advantages and what the differences? Aiming for video shooting.

Cheers!

Bruce Foreman
February 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
The T3i will have manual option for audio levels, looks like that made it over from the 60D (haven't had a chance to test that on my new 60D yet but that is one of the reasons I ordered mine).

If I were in the market for one right now, I would go for the T3i.

I would be wary of expecting Magic Lantern to be ported over to the T3i. Canon so far has done nothing I know of to stop it in the T2i (they did stop it in the 7D) but I would imagine there may be some code preventing unauthorized alterations to firmware in newer cameras.

I buy for the features the manufacturer put in place. I do understand many folks are really pleased with ML in the T2i but I see occasional reports of a problem cropping up on location (where there is no time to "mess with it"). To get his camera to function at all again, one individual had to format the SDHC card in an audio recorder then the camera would function to reformat it and he was able to press on.

Joel Peregrine
February 22nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Update - looked at theT3i specs: Same battery and grip as the T2i. Nice.

Joel Peregrine
February 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hi Bruce,

I buy for the features the manufacturer put in place. I do understand many folks are really pleased with ML in the T2i...

I've gotten so used to the kelvin wb adjustment that I'd find it really hard to not have it-saves a lot of time in post.

Aaron Fowler
February 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joel you can get the Kelvin BW feature in the 60D without the need for Magic Lantern... That's one of the reasons I bought the 60D and perhaps a reason why Bruce did too.

It's all about buying the right camera for the job, Magic Lantern is just another tool in the kit if you choose to use it.

Joel Peregrine
February 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Hi Aaron,

Joel you can get the Kelvin BW feature in the 60D without the need for Magic Lantern...

The OP is talking T2i vs T3i which as I said is my concern now too.

Jordan Hooper
February 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Let me add my vote for the 60D.

It's one of those times when I made a purchase with no buyers regret. I absolutely love it, and the more I use it and hear other users feedback I know I made the right choice.

There are some good prices on the 60D to be found. Look for them, it's worth the effort.

The next post you'll make will be, "Which kit lens should I get with the 60D?"
I have the 18-135 and it's a good starting point. I then bought a Tokina 11-16 wide zoom and I feel I have my bases covered for a long time.

Good luck!

Colin Rowe
February 23rd, 2011, 07:10 AM
I do understand many folks are really pleased with ML in the T2i but I see occasional reports of a problem cropping up on location (where there is no time to "mess with it"). To get his camera to function at all again, one individual had to format the SDHC card in an audio recorder then the camera would function to reformat it and he was able to press on.
I know of nobody who has damaged a camera using ML. The guy who had to reformat in an audio recorder tried to put a bootable card into the camera, without the ML files. It was human error, a definate no no. Its well documented,as a definate "dont do" in the user guide. ML is a godsend, the features become a must have.
Amazing audio input options, audio monitoring, live histogram and waveform, zebra's, focus peaking, iso and kelvin adjustment and a ,whole lot more.
Regarding cameras, I would go for the cheapest option at the moment. These cameras are changing way to quickly. But in the APS-C sensor market the changes are mainly cosmetic. If I had known the 550D was coming out, I would not have got the 7D. The cost of a 550D can be recouped on 1 job, I know mine has payed for itself dozens of times over. As for overheating, maybe I am lucky, but I have never had a problem with it. The whole industry depends on folk wanting the latest and greatest, IMO the 550D does as good a job as any of the others, at a fraction of the cost. Look at what the other cameras are giving you in terms of useability, because there is no difference in video quality between any of them. I will happily use my 550D as B cam to my EX1 for the forseeable future, the only thing that would make me change it, would be if Canon sorted out the awful moire and aliasing issues that all these cameras are plagued with.

George Logothetis
February 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
The viewfinder could be a plus as Im usually filming from ground low or high angles, but its not a necessity and I will be able to short things out without it. In case I need an external lcd, which shall I buy (cheap)

James Donnelly
February 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
The viewfinder could be a plus as Im usually filming from ground low or high angles, but its not a necessity and I will be able to short things out without it. In case I need an external lcd, which shall I buy (cheap)

If you are happy with 480p native resolution and you want cheap, I have found two options; Liliput (check on ebay and search dvinfo about these) or you can find a really cheap 480p panel from China here:

7 Inch HD LCD monitor - In-Car Headrest or Stand (http://www.chinavasion.com/headrest-armrest-monitors/7-inch-headreststand-incar-tft-lcd-monitor/)

I think it is a reasonably recent emergence that cheap 480p panels are available. I haven't seen one of these, so it's possible it suffers from a poor viewing angle and colour bandwidth like other cheap panels, but hey, it's 30 quid plus shipping.

Chris Barcellos
February 23rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
I was using this one before I won a Marshall in a contest.

LCD4Video | LCD4Video 7" LCD Monitor - LCD4Video (http://www.lcd4video.com/products/LCD4Video-7%22-LCD-Monitor.html)

Ryan Farnes
March 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM
If you are happy with 480p native resolution and you want cheap, I have found two options; Liliput (check on ebay and search dvinfo about these) or you can find a really cheap 480p panel from China here:

7 Inch HD LCD monitor - In-Car Headrest or Stand (http://www.chinavasion.com/headrest-armrest-monitors/7-inch-headreststand-incar-tft-lcd-monitor/)

I think it is a reasonably recent emergence that cheap 480p panels are available. I haven't seen one of these, so it's possible it suffers from a poor viewing angle and colour bandwidth like other cheap panels, but hey, it's 30 quid plus shipping.

Just know that these cheap monitors that have irregular resolutions will probably not display the DSLR's HDMI feed in a correct aspect ratio. I have a 7" Lilliput and it is slightly squished. There is no fixing it.

fyi

Chris Barcellos
March 1st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Try setting the monitor to native 4:3, if it has that setting. I notice that gives me correct aspect ration in both modes. Problem, of course, is you still have pillars and a smaller image on screen. But at least you have it in proper aspect.

Interestingly, in the days of 4:3 video, we used to ad a Century cinema lens to the camera, and we would get a scruched up image in the monitor. It was the price we paid for a wide screen image to work with in post.

George Logothetis
March 1st, 2011, 12:41 PM
OK people, back to the topic, My question was if its worth buying the t2i or wait for the t3i. The only difference is the swivel screen for video right?

Also I am considering buying a good tripod. What do you recommend in the range of 150-300 euros?

and as for sound the t3i with the new levels will need an external mic (like the zoom n1h etc) or just a shoe mic?

Cheers!

James Donnelly
March 2nd, 2011, 04:14 AM
Just know that these cheap monitors that have irregular resolutions will probably not display the DSLR's HDMI feed in a correct aspect ratio. I have a 7" Lilliput and it is slightly squished. There is no fixing it.

fyi

BTW, I don't recommend a cheap monitor if you can afford the Lilliput, or better still a Marshal. The Lilliput is so cheap, anyone doing professional work ought to treat this as a minimum.

The interesting situation now is that the new features available in Magic Lantern (especially focus peaking, false colours and zebras) mean that a lower quality monitor can be considered for students and amateurs using the 550d.

The cheap monitor I mentioned does not have HDMI in. You use the composite from the camera's USB. 800x480 is a standard resolution though. In terms of framing, this gets closer to a 16:9 aspect ratio than the 3:2 display on the camera, meaning less letterboxing.

Unlike the HDMI output, I don't think there is a general problem with letterboxing on monitors using the composite signal, obviously depending on the monitor. You do lose sharpness on a composite signal, so it's not great for critical focus, unless you have focus peaking :)

By the way, I'm sure this is of no help to you but just in case, I presume you have tried switching overscan and underscan modes on your Lilliput? Just in case you have not, press the menu key for 4 seconds to toggle between the two.

Ryan Farnes
March 2nd, 2011, 08:56 AM
I seem to remember trying everything, different modes, different display options on the camera, HDMI, DVI, etc.... I have yet to meet someone online that has successfully gotten the DSLR's live feed to display in an accurate aspect ratio on my lilliput model.

Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C 7 inch HDMI DVI TFT- LCD VGA

And for what I paid for it, I think I've seen better options since.

John Wiley
March 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
OK people, back to the topic, My question was if its worth buying the t2i or wait for the t3i. The only difference is the swivel screen for video right?

Also I am considering buying a good tripod. What do you recommend in the range of 150-300 euros?

and as for sound the t3i with the new levels will need an external mic (like the zoom n1h etc) or just a shoe mic?

Cheers!

The 3 main differences are the swivel screen, the audio meters & level control, and the digital zoom. Although audio has been better implemented by Magic Lantern in the T2i so it actually has the advantage there.

The t3i, if it is the same as the 60D, will only display audio meters while in standby mode - Not very helpful in many situations. You could use an external mike with either but the t3i you would probably be better off with an external recorder so you can monitor the levels while recording. (The t2i with ML allows heaphones through the AV jack.)

As for a tripod, check out the Libec TH-650. Great value and better than any of the Manfrotto offerings at a similar price point.

Stelios Christofides
March 4th, 2011, 06:21 AM
.....If I were in the market for one right now, I would go for the T3i....

You mean that you would get the T3i instead of the 60D? Why so?

Stelios