View Full Version : First crane SDE shoot!

Susanto Widjaja
February 23rd, 2011, 02:58 AM
hey guys,

We literally just got our cobra crane backpacker a day before this SDE shoot.

Despite of having the hottest day in Sydney since the last 85 years. This thing rocks! I was spending too much time deciding whether to buy the famous kessler crane or this baby here. But the 400 dollars delivery cost from kessler trumps the 25 dollars delivery cost I paid from a local distributor here.

We are still learning how to use it as well as mayad studio, jason magbanua and the other wedding superheroes from philipines and it is surely quiet a hassle to move this thing here and there, setting it up and down and such. But its just so exciting to be able to get these new type of shots with this bad boy.

We look forward to play around a lot more with it. Especially during this friday's SDE shoot! will post it here as well :)

Santo

Vinh + Mary Cinematic Same Day Edit | SUPER HOT DAY...! on Vimeo

Gianni Paolella
February 23rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Very nice shooting and movement.
Can I ask you wich steady did u use and wich glide system and what did you use for shooting and editing?
Thanks
Gianni

Susanto Widjaja
February 23rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Hey giani

We use glidecam, glidetrack and dpslider for our moving shots as well monopods for fake slider movement.

Cameras are 2 x 5Ds and 1 x 7D with various lenses.

To see more of what we use, please go here:

PAPER CRANES PRODUCTIONS | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/papercranesproductions#!/note.php?note_id=169986939691989)

Thanks for watching.

Santo

Johannes Soetandi
February 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Finally, a crane for paper cranes. It's as if the bird has just regained its wings back :P

I love your ring shot in this one mate, completely out of the ordinary and very creative!

Michael Simons
February 24th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Love the jump off the picnic table for the First Look!

Greg Fiske
February 26th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I love the crane shot with the bridal party dancing especially. Also loved the timelapse with the ice melting, looked great.

Susanto Widjaja
February 27th, 2011, 05:29 AM
@johannes: yea man. like the black swan! :P
@michael: yea, it was pretty funny actually hahaha
@greg: Thanks buddy. we tried using 35mm for a more shallow depth of field look and it worked wonders with that scene. The timelapse just fit in perfectly with the weather we had. super HOT!

Ken Diewert
February 28th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Beautiful stuff Santo,

There is a great energy to the wedding that the camera movement really brings out. It will be good to see what you can do with it when you've had some time to practice...

Art Varga
March 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Awesome Santo! - you've inspired me to pull my crane out of mothballs. I only used mine once and was so stressed out thinking about shots I might be missing cause I was messing with the crane. And you did an SDE too... I'm shamed. Great work!

Art

Susanto Widjaja
March 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Beautiful stuff Santo,

There is a great energy to the wedding that the camera movement really brings out. It will be good to see what you can do with it when you've had some time to practice...

Thanks ken. I'm not good in operating the crane. Ferry (Our other shooter) is a lot better with it. Its great cause he got back pain so he cannot operate the glidecam. Now we can share an even load :P

Awesome Santo! - you've inspired me to pull my crane out of mothballs. I only used mine once and was so stressed out thinking about shots I might be missing cause I was messing with the crane. And you did an SDE too... I'm shamed. Great work!

Art

hey Art,

Such a waste to not using your crane buddy! hahaha we usually just put it in the back seat of the car when we shoot non-sde weddings with two people. Only when there is a spot that is DYING for a crane shot then we will use it. So I guess it'll be good if you also do the same thing just in case you find a great occasion to use it during the wedding day.

Oleg Kalyan
March 8th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Great crane shots! (I also just had a wedding with use of a crane!)

Jeremy White
March 8th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Unbelievable. Beautiful!!!!

Jeremy White
March 9th, 2011, 10:54 PM
How did you like the cobra crane? Is it pretty easy to set up?

Oren Arieli
March 10th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Great energy, movements and creative touches. JMag better watch his back :--)

John De Rienzo
March 27th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Nice detailed shots. I always get excited when I see creative work with such attention to detail...so important. Just got to love the crane shots. We have just purchased a crane and are having the same dilemma...love the end results, but a bit of a pain to move around.

Thx for sharing

Susanto Widjaja
March 29th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Great crane shots! (I also just had a wedding with use of a crane!) Thanks Oleg, I'm sure yours will turn out magic!

Unbelievable. Beautiful!!!!
Thanks so much !

How did you like the cobra crane? Is it pretty easy to set up?

I like it. I dont have any comparison with others because I have never used the other ones. But it works well so far for us. We just bought the extension bar, but have yet to use it.

Great energy, movements and creative touches. JMag better watch his back :--)

I think crane is very old school for Jmag.... he's too far ahead... hhahaha

Nice detailed shots. I always get excited when I see creative work with such attention to detail...so important. Just got to love the crane shots. We have just purchased a crane and are having the same dilemma...love the end results, but a bit of a pain to move around.

Thx for sharing

Thanks John, it is definitely a pain in the butt to move it around. especially when you only want one shot and its so far from the car... but hey! it adds another level of dynamic to your clips. Just have to use it wisely i guess.