View Full Version : Need advice on a small console for FCP/Matrox MXO2Rack edit bay

Shaun Roemich
March 8th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hi folks. "Gearing up" for the anticipated new Final Cut Studio release by getting all my support gear in place for the new hardware purchase.

First of all, most of what I do PERSONALLY is corporate promo & training or broadcast documentary style stuff, NO cinematic releases.

The yet-to-be-purchased Mac Pro will be outfitted with a Matrox MXO2 Rack i/o. I'm looking for a console to put in the edit bay with the primary goals being:
- 4 mic pre's in front of the MXO2's inputs (feeding MXO2 from Direct Out TRS feeds on the desk)
- 8 channels of analog audio playback coming into the mixer for playback volume control of demuxed HD-SDI embedded audio signals in addition to other NORMAL monitoring from the MXO2
- AUX sends for voice over (possibly multiple performers at the same time) headphone distribution amp (including ability to do MoreMe)
- Separate Control Room Feed for Solo'ing channels and for checking sound on non-reference "monitors" for confirmation of "quality" on SMALL drivers
- consumer "line level" stereo audio (ie. tape out) for down converted SD burns to a DVD Recorder

So I NEED Direct Outs, the ability to NOT assign all my inputs to the Main L/R bus and minimum 4 decent mic pre's (again, almost exclusively for voice BUT I am a musician so I'll PROBABLY track with this setup when and if the system isn't making me money)

Use will be FCP and Soundtrack Pro and potentially Logic (which I have never seen...)

Options as I see them are:
- Mackie 1602VLZ3
- Allen & Heath ZED420
- Soundcraft ?????

For the console alone, I'd LIKE to stay under $1600USD.

The PRIMARY goal of the console again is for MONITORING flexibility of an NLE, NOT for fancy audio post or large recording sessions - I have friends with EXEMPLARY project audio studios that "owe me" favours...

Thoughts?

PS. Surround is NOT a concern for me.