View Full Version : waterproof white balance cards ?

Gints Klimanis
August 15th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Hello,

Has anyone tried the WhiBal black/gray/white cards for color balance ?
I'm looking for a waterproof card that can be used in a fish tank in conjunction with a flash. Yes, this is a wedding forum, but most of the good white balance threads can be found in this home.

Thank you,

Gints Klimanis
August 15th, 2005, 02:11 AM
http://www.whibal.com/

Patrick King
August 15th, 2005, 05:14 AM
The PortaBrace card (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=300868&is=REG&addedTroughType=search) is one solid piece of plastic, but its only 5 bucks, so it may not be a sexy enough solution. If you want to spend more money, get the ExpoDisc and just turn the cam around and WB toward the light rather than the reflected light.

Gints Klimanis
August 15th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I like the price, but I can't tell how big it is. What are the dimensions of your card ? I searched the Portabrace web site, but there is no mention of their white balance card. I would like a white balance card that is durable and cheap, as my Kodak white cards are soiled too easily.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=300868&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I guess I could just take a picture of the
light reflected off my Kodak grey card. I just didn't want to mess with taking apart the hood.

Thanks,

Gints

Stephanie Wilson
August 15th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Hello,

Has anyone tried the WhiBal black/gray/white cards for color balance ?
I'm looking for a waterproof card that can be used in a fish tank in conjunction with a flash. Yes, this is a wedding forum, but most of the good white balance threads can be found in this home.

Thank you,

Hey Gints,

I was too lazy to view the links others provided..... But you might try shopping a dive store. They should have good waterproof cards that divers use to write messages on while underwater. Don't know the current cost, but I thought I'd throw this into the suggestion box.

Sinceres,

Steph

Patrick King
August 16th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Gints,

I just pulled mine out to measure it: 6 inches by 9 inches.

It has a brass grommet and tough nylon cord. It is also one solid sheet of plastic and not a piece of paper wedged between two sheets of acetate, so water can't leak onto the card while submerged and ruin it.

For five bucks I think you can't go wrong. Worst case is, you get a really durable WB card for your kit that didn't meet your needs for this shot. But I thinks its exactly what the doctor ordered.

Carl Walters
August 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Why not just laminate a piece of white card/paper. It will last as long as a purpose made white card, and can be made to fit any size that suits. Cost is pence/cents instead of pounds/dollars and very quick to do...asumi9ng you have a laminator of course.

Bruce Linden
August 18th, 2005, 11:20 AM
A piece of white plexi works fine for me. I have one that has slate information on one side and use the other for balancing. 2 for one.

Gints Klimanis
August 19th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Thanks, Patrick. Your plastic white balance card sounds perfect,
as its size is just about right.
The WhiBal sytem looks good, but the cards are very expensive.
I'm not even sure how well plastic works with its reflective properties.