View Full Version : sony PMW-EX1R/2

Robert Bobson
April 13th, 2011, 06:06 AM
on B&H website, the SONY EX1R is shown as the "SONY EX1R /2" - any idea what the "/2" indicates? couldn't find anything on the SONY site...

Vincent Oliver
April 13th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Two in stock?

David B. Monier-Williams
April 13th, 2011, 06:20 PM
As my uncle would say, "There's no use being ignorant unless you show it."

Adam Palomer
April 13th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I thought snide remarks, sarcasm, and name-calling were frowned upon.

Glen Vandermolen
April 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM
??
I went to the B&H website. It say EX1R, like always.

Vincent Oliver
April 13th, 2011, 11:08 PM
As my uncle would say, "There's no use being ignorant unless you show it."

Thanks David,

Welcome to the DVinfo forum, hopefully you will make some good contacts and get some good technical advice.

Here's a starter,
Treat other members with respect.

Russell Heaton
April 13th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Hi Vincent,

At first I was a bit shocked at David's response but then I found myself wondering whether he was actually making a comment about your signature line? If you read his response in that light, what he said becomes quite innocuous and is somewhat relevant to your sig.

Just a thought.

Russ

Vincent Oliver
April 13th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks Russell,

I haven't taken offence to David's remarks, I am sure he is a very nice guy deep down.

Maybe I was being just a bit too flippant with my first post.

Steve Game
April 14th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Interesting here. I looked the EX1R up on the B&H website and it has 2 listings:

1) PMW-EX1R XDCAM EX Full HD Camcorder (without SxS Card) mfr# EX1R/2 price $6299 in stock

and

2) PMW-EX1R XDCAM EX Full HD Camcorder mfr# EX1R price $6299 discontinued

mmmm. Does that mean that Sony have slipped a price increase in by losing the SxS card. That crept in when we weren't watching.

Steve

p.s. Vincent, I think it's a first world thing called irony.

Junior Chan
April 14th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,

Sony included a 16GB SxS card with the PMW-EX1R/1 until they ran out of them, which happened recently.

Same goes with the PMW-EX3, now it has a /3, No SxS card included, since they ran out of them.

I also think SBP-16 are discontinued. My reps can't get them anymore.

Robert Bobson
April 14th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Sony "ran out" of 16g SXS cards???? or have they stopped making them???

Steve Game
April 14th, 2011, 02:27 PM
So in effect, Sony have increased the price of the EX1R by keeping the price the same and giving a bit less.

Not what I would have expected so late in the life of the product with no obvious successor to take on the competition.

Steve

Junior Chan
April 14th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I just got back from NAB. My sony reps and media/ Tape / Distributors are all still in Vegas, can't reach them to confirm again. We couldn't order them since 3 weeks ago.

I think* they are discontinued. You might still find them from retailers and EBAY.

Jim Stamos
April 14th, 2011, 04:18 PM
with regards to the sxs cards, prices have gone up because of demand. the 32gb cards were 560.00 , now 750.00. talked to 3 sony reps, one in media. all said they havent raised their prices.
BH and a few others i talked to said they raised their prices because sony did. /whatever. theyre taking full advantage of this mess in japan and trying to blame sony, which didnt raise theirs.
call it what it is, gouging at our expense.
i went with 2 hoodman adaptors and 32 gb sd cards for less than 1 sony sxs 32gb and have had zero problems.

Steve Game
April 14th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Its possible that Sony USA or their distributors have either increased the prices they charge retailers, or more likely they have withdrawn any current discount promotions. It means the same to the end buyer, i.e. price rise.

There may be no actual shortage in terms of supply yet, but rumours and panic buying don't help anybody, and can cause local shortages that feed price inflation.

Steve

Dean Sensui
April 15th, 2011, 02:34 AM
The Sony SxS 32-gig Pro cards are now $1147.50.

I posted elsewhere on this site about what I just started using, the newer MxM adapter and UHS-1 SDHC cards. Cost is a lot less. I believe the reliability should be just as high.

Dave Stewart
November 9th, 2011, 01:53 PM
stands for 2 year warranty.

Dave Stewart
November 11th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Just got my EX1R from B&H. I heard that the cameras weren't coming with any SxS cards to cut costs, but mine did - 16 GB. I didn't think it would so I bought 2 sdxc 128 GB class 10 (20MB/s) cards and two adapters. They seem to work well. About $235 for each pair. That's about half the price of the 16 GB cards. The camera says 464 mins.

Doug Jensen
November 11th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Dave,

128GB SD cards ? That's a lot of eggs in one basket. I'd never risk it.
Just search the archives if you want to read the tragedies of lost footage even from much smaller SD cards.
I'll admit that shooting on SD cards is much safer than it was a couple of years ago, but in my opinion they aren't THAT safe.
I only use SD cards if I can answer yes to the following question: "Can I afford to lose everything I'm going to record on the card?"
If the answer is yes, then I can take the risk. Otherwise, it is my job, my career, my reputation, and my financial liability for the entire shoot on the hook.

Good luck. Let us know how they work out.

Dave Stewart
November 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM
You can usually recover most corrupted files. I've done it for other people. Anyway, I don't use the whole card, but it's nice to have around just in case.

Doug Jensen
November 13th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Dave, you have experience recovering corrupted cards or files from XDCAM EX camcorders? What software and/or techniques to do you use to recover damaged footage from XDCAM EX camcorders? And you say you've already done it for other people with XDCAM EX camcorders --- and yet you are still willing to take that risk yourself? I think a lot of people around here would love to learn how you do it. Please share.

Dave Stewart
November 14th, 2011, 11:24 AM
It's on my computer at home. Can't recall the name. It takes a while, but it'll recover just about any file

Doug Jensen
November 15th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Dave,

Can you please look up the software name and provide any tips you have? I'd love to be able to suggest a solution to all the people that come crying to me after their SD card has failed them.

And you are certain this works with recovering XDCAM files? It is generally agreed that BPAV folders are not anywhere near as easy to recover as some other types of digital files like JPEGs or something like that where the folder structure and supportiing files are totally different. You've had success with XDCAM, right?

Buba Kastorski
November 15th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Dave,

Can you please look up the software name and provide any tips you have?
+1,
please do, it happened to me just once, but I'd love to have proven solution if it will ever happen again,
thanks
!

Christopher Young
November 15th, 2011, 09:17 AM
From what a couple of EX users have told me the best sofware and recovery for EX material is from Spain from an outfit called Aero Quartet

Fix corrupt video files. Recover footage from damaged disks and cards (http://www.aeroquartet.com/movierepair/repair.html)

Haven't had to use them myself as am XDCam disc based and so far lost nothing, fingers crossed! Thought it might be worth passing the info down the line though.

Doug Jensen
November 15th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Dave says he's already done if for other people, so I want to get his advice. It must be pretty easy or else he wouldn't risk shooting on SD cards himself, right? I can't wait to hear how it is done . . . from someone who has already done it.

Robert Bobson
November 15th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I've been shooting on the SD cards for 6 months now, and no problems. even slo-mo works fine.

Vincent Oliver
November 15th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I can't wait to hear how it is done . . . from someone who has already done it.

You might be waiting a long time Doug :-(

I have tried a few recovery software packages and none of them worked with EX files on SDHC cards. Although in fairness, I have never lost anything on SDHC cards either, I just tried to recover deleted files.

Robert,
Slo-Mo may work for a few seconds on SDHC cards, but not for very long clips. You can record Slo-Mo on a SXS card in one slot and then transfer the clip to an SDHC card in the other slot, that works OK.

Robert Bobson
November 15th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I've never tried to make a long recording of slo-mo, but a few minutes in length was fine (?) That's all I've ever needed.

Gints Klimanis
November 16th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Dave,

128GB SD cards ? That's a lot of eggs in one basket. I'd never risk it.
If the answer is yes, then I can take the risk. Otherwise, it is my job, my career, my reputation, and my financial liability for the entire shoot on the hook.

The risk of loss of an entire shoot may be decreased with more cards, but the risk of error of a single card is increased because many flash errors, particularly write delays, occur as the card fills up. I wish Sony would provide an option to show the warnings when the card is 80-90% full. Larger cards are treated better with wear-leveling write algorithms.

Many of the SDHC errors for EX1 are reported to occur when a Start Record operation begins while the previous Stop Record has not finished flushing to the card. I compared the write flush illumination with two different speed grades of SDHC card but did not notice a difference in the time required to complete the flush.

If flash recording is a risk, parallel recording using HDMI or HD-SDI is the way to go. An easy but somewhat costly option is a Nanoflash compression unit that provides similar or better compression as it uses the Sony video compression codec or one of the newer units such as the Sound Devices Pix 240.

Doug Jensen
November 16th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I have a simpler and cheaper option. Shoot on SxS cards like the camera was designed to use.

Jack Zhang
November 18th, 2011, 05:48 AM
It all depends on workflows. My plan is to make the Nanoflash my primary recording device and SDHC (assuming I don't get a SxS bundled with my purchase of a EX1R) my secondary. The Nanoflash isn't for everyone. It's for those that want to go above 50Mbps for unique applications that sometimes go beyond broadcast.

I realize Doug that risk is something that just cannot be relied on for the basis of a recommendation, so I understand why you mention SDHC, but cannot endorse it. (You make this point clear in the EX1R update video) Sony probably won't support percentage based readout on anything but the MEAD adaptors. There is an official MEAD adaptor for SDHC, so that may have the ability to do percentage based readout if Sony does a firmware update to do so.

Buba Kastorski
November 18th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I've been shooting on the SD cards for 6 months now, and no problems. even slo-mo works fine.
over three years and 1200 Hrs using SDHC cards and i had just one failure, and it was my fault btw, so i would say it's pretty safe; and i also shoot a lot of slow motion.

Dean Sensui
November 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
There used to be a time when people questioned the use of "big" 16-gig cards.

I've also been lucky. I've been using it for the past 4 years and haven't had a single SxS card lose data yet.

I have had a couple of experiences where an SDHC card had problems but I now only use Sandisk and Lexar cards in MxM adapters with zero failure rates. And sometimes that's recording 4 to 5 hours continuously on 38-GB cards.

The rest of it is shot in the field, in a marine environment. The camera is left on all day and shoots hundreds of short clips.

My fear about losing data is from misplacing the recording media. So rather than handle a lot of SDHC cards, each SDHC card has its own MxM adapter. This is still a lot more economical than SxS cards and just as reliable.

Another plus: I no longer have to worry about having an Express 34 reader. I can just use any SDHC USB reader to transfer my files.

I have 6 32-GB cards which provide about 11 hours of recording time. Enough to last me a couple of days. It helps since some of the jobs are overnight and I'd rather not have to drag along a laptop to transfer files out in the field.

Dave Stewart
November 21st, 2011, 03:53 PM
Oh. My bad. Seems the mpg4 files recovered are unusable. Apparently, FCP has a plug-in that can allow the files to be read, but no other NLE. There are some costly outside houses that can recover the files. Oh well, time to get some smaller SDHC cards. They're cheap and fast though.