View Full Version : X-Files Flashlight

Paul Whittington
April 21st, 2011, 10:09 PM
Hello,
I require a flashlight for a scene that can project a narrow beam exactly like in the X-files when Scully and Mulder would sneak around in the dark - they always used flashlights with a narrow, concentrated beam of light. Does anyone know what these types of flashlights are called or of any place online I can purchase one?

Thanks very much :)

Jason Bodnar
April 21st, 2011, 11:00 PM
Streamlight, they have Stingers and Tactical lights with many different specs and some do exactly what you desire. A Stinger would probably be perfect.

Learning Center | Streamlight (http://www.streamlight.com/education/default.aspx?guid=32e5e73f-fb9d-468f-a9ca-531c7d6d6ca9)

Paul Whittington
April 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Great, that's just what I'm looking for... thanks Jason!

Gary Nattrass
April 23rd, 2011, 05:59 AM
I have used one of the large maglights in the past, seemed to do the job OK.

Brent Lucas
April 23rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
Putting particulate in the air (smoke machine) will greatly enhance that effect.

Damon Lim
April 23rd, 2011, 08:28 AM
in TV shows or movies they use Maxa Beam Handheld Xenon Searchlight for the effect

Peak Beam Systems, Inc., Home of the Maxa Beam Searchlight (http://www.peakbeam.com/motionpicture.html)

Dean Sensui
April 23rd, 2011, 11:57 PM
They were using an Underwater Kinetics SL4. It's a popular backup dive light. Back then it was a halogen bulb. Now there's an LED version.

Paul Whittington
April 26th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Brent: Great idea... I have a smoke machine somewhere; I'll be sure to try it!

Thanks for the all the responses. Great info guys!

Neill Phillips
April 27th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Also, try using a haze machine, it's a lot more subtle than a smoke machine.

Wayne Reimer
April 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I'm a bit of a flashlight junkie, and there are some really impressive lights out there now. The new LED stuff with thr Cree emitters are outrageous in the amount of light they will put out from a small flashlight. I carry a small Fenix light in my pocket all the time; a bit larger than a chapstick, one CR123 battery and 200 lumens output.
Candlepower forums will give you a great starting point to get exactly the beam pattern and throw that you're looking for...there are a lot of choices

Paul Whittington
May 15th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Well, I ended up purchasing the 'Stinger DS LED' flashlight mainly because it's look and size suit the needs of the film perfectly. Overall, I am impressed with the quality and the beam looks great; should be perfect for the film. I posted a few images below for anyone interested in knowing what the beam looks like.

Neill: Great tip... I filmed these test shots using a smoke machine but I think you're right; a haze machine might be better. If anyone knows of a good quality haze machine they are happy with, please let me know.

Thanks again everyone for all you're help :)