View Full Version : GPS Meta Data Reader

Victor Wilcox
May 6th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I've been frustrated for some time with the lack of support for the GPS meta data from the Sony HXR-NX5. It's nice to get the coordinates from the Content Manager shown in Google Maps, but viewing one at a time, is madding.

Being a software engineer, I finally decided if you code it, they will come. Since .cmuprops files are just XML content, I wrote a small .NET application to extract the GPS coordinates an export them to a Google Earth KML file.

If you'd like to give it a try, the initial build is available (free) from the link below (NOTE: This is a Microsoft .NET application which requires the .NET Framework 4.0. It will be installed during the process in you don't already have it installed.):

Wilcox Video Productions - GPS Data Reader (http://www.wilcoxvideoproductions.com/WVPGPSDataReader.aspx)

I plan to add code to read more of the meta data in the future, so If you have any suggestions, let me know.

John Cline
May 10th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Tried to install the app, it successfully installed NET 4.0 and then said it "Cannot Download the Application" and the log file said "The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found."

Victor Wilcox
May 10th, 2011, 08:08 AM
The connection may have timed out while .NET 4 was installing. If you try again it should finish. I just checked connection from work and it connected OK.

Thanks,
Vic

Conrad Kramer
May 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Victor I received the same error as John:
"The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found."

Tried a couple of things but without success.

Victor Wilcox
May 10th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I finally found the missing file which caused the problem.

If you don't see version 1.0.0.13 or higher, do a page refresh.

John Cline
May 10th, 2011, 11:03 PM
OK, got it to install. Thanks!

I noticed when I go to select a folder, it seems to default to the "My Videos" folder and I can't select another folder or another drive. (For example, I keep all my NX5 files on "I:\NX5 Media") The "File" function works fine and I can select all the files in the folder that way, but it would be ever-so-slightly easier to just be able to select a folder. Certainly not a show-stopper.

Also, when I go to save a new KML file using SAVE AS, I give it a file name but it always says something like "File I:\NX5 Media\Red Mesa GPS.kml does not exist. Verify the the correct filename was given." I can, however, create a dummy file like "Red Mesa.kml" and then when I go to save and select the dummy file, it will ask if I want to overwrite the file, I say yes and then it writes the file correctly. I just can't create a new file using the SAVE AS command from within the app.

Other than these two issues, it is a TERRIFIC and useful application.

Victor Wilcox
May 11th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the comments.

I'd fire my QA department if I had one. Both issues have been fixed in version 1.0.0.14. I don't think the Update option in the menu is working, but you can update from the web site or wait as the application checks for updates once a week.

Work around: If you use the "Open" options, you can still select multiple files and you aren't limited to the "My Video" folder.

Marc M. Myers
June 27th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks for this but I don't need it on this computer at the moment and I don't see an uninstall. This is a ClickOnce app, is it not?

Victor Wilcox
June 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Yes, It's a click once app. "GPS Meta Data Reader" should be listed in Programs and Features for uninstall.

Marc M. Myers
June 30th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Found it, thanks.