View Full Version : Over my head but having fun anyway.

Frank Stearns
May 10th, 2011, 08:40 AM
What to do, what to do?
I'm currently acquiring stereo 3D content at a much much faster pace then my ability to view it much less edit it.
My backyard is populated with a large number of foxes and I am attempting to follow them around with my remote controlled 3D camera system that I built.
My hard drives are filling up rapidly and I'm getting further and further behind
I hope some bears show up soon and maybe that will slow the pace down because they are much easier to follow around.

Neil Richards
May 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Love it :)

Maybe try time lapse Frank easier on the hard drives :)

Frank Stearns
May 10th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Time lapse.....Not available but thanks for the suggestion.
No sign of bears, time to order more hard drives...

Frank Stearns
May 11th, 2011, 08:51 AM
The fun part of what I'm doing is watching the wildlife live in 3D and attempting to record it while trying to compose the shots, all done remotely.
The problem starts when reviewing the 3D recordings later and having to deal with all the problems such as major window violations, excessive divergence, etc.
The reviewing process itself is hard on my eyes but I don't know of any way to avoid it.
I'm not exactly able to carefully set up the shots as it's catch as catch can if you know what I mean.
For every usable clip I get I have to discard 50 or more because of these issues.

Neil Richards
May 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
If you'll pardon the pun, it may just be the nature of the beast, unless you can get someone else in to do part of the filming operation with you.

I've put my camera up on a jib with a remote motorised pan and tilt to use for doing interesting stuff and I set myself the challenge of trying it as a one man operation. I'm still experimenting with it but I can tell you trying to control zoom/iris/focus/convergence/pan/tilt/jib all at once can be really taxing :) It's maybe not realistic (although it is fun to try it) so either some compromises are needed or you get one or two more eyes/hands/brains to help out.

I guess this is why 3D feature films have massive budgets and armies of people on each camera rig :)

Frank Stearns
May 12th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Problem solved for the moment.
Bear showed up.

Neil Richards
May 12th, 2011, 11:14 AM
LOL :D

You're only postponing the inevitable :)

Frank Stearns
May 13th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I just tried creating a 3D Blu-Ray from a 10 minute clip that I shot remotely and it's available on my server in ISO form if anyone would like to check it out and give me some helpful criticism.
It's over 2 gigabytes however.......
Let me know if you would be willing to do it and I'll post a link.

Arnie Schlissel
May 13th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Problem solved for the moment.
Bear showed up.

In my experience, the bear showing up is never the end of the problem. Not, at least, in a good way!

Frank Stearns
May 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM
In this case, the local bears are well fed and can be quite entertaining.
This particular bear caused me to rethink my technique somewhat and that
wasn't a bad thing.

Arnie Schlissel
May 13th, 2011, 03:02 PM
This particular bear caused me to rethink my technique somewhat and that
wasn't a bad thing.

It's never a bad outcome when you can walk away from the bear! ;)

And it's never a bad thing for you to "rethink your technique somewhat" in favor of the bear.

I once saw a grisly in Yellowstone. I could have gotten as close as I wanted, I was smart enough not to want to get to close!

I've been camping in the Adirondaks on many occasions. One time, we had to cut our trip by a couple of days because a local bear dragged our food down from its hanging spot between 2 trees.

It's possible that I'm a pussy, but I fought the bear and the bear won!

Frank Stearns
May 13th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Grisly bears are a totally different thing compared to our gentle black bears.
Here's a YouTube video I shot back in September of 09 of my soon to be grandson in law showing
off for my grand daughter.
YouTube - Bear whisperer (http://youtu.be/2_e-DMrUbuo?hd=1)
There's a 500 plus pound bear camped just outside my bedroom door every morning now.
It seems to be his favorite place to sleep for the moment.
I'm hoping to get some 3D video of him soon but he always leaves just about dawn.

Neil Richards
May 13th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Frank, any chance you can post a short clip somewhere, somewhat less than 2GB, for those of us with wet-string rural broadband of 1Mbs on a good day?

Frank Stearns
May 13th, 2011, 05:47 PM
What's the format of choice around these parts that's actually watchable?

Neil Richards
May 14th, 2011, 04:37 AM
For me, 1080 HD side by side quicktime file is fine

Frank Stearns
May 14th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Attempting to render a cut down version in that format but can not include audio without crashing Vegas Pro 10d.
Doing a short test render now without audio.

Frank Stearns
May 14th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Is there a 2nd best option besides "SlowTime" er not so quicktime?

Neil Richards
May 14th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Perseverance shall be rewarded ;)