View Full Version : Pimping the NEXVG10

Terrance Odette
May 24th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Anybody out there pimping the VG10 and wanna chat?
I have the VG10E (50i) out to a nanoflash (can set at 24p). sold the lens it came with and have Canon FD adapters with Canon 24mm 1.2, Tokina 28mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.2.
I have a Zacuto EVF on order. A redrock baseplate and rods and a mattebox from Proaim.

Terry

Wayne Reimer
May 27th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Terry,
I'm almost there with you. I have an Indisystems Areeba rail/shoulder brace system, their follow-focus configured for zoom control, Matte box, Lee ND's and a Lilliput field monitor. Also using a small LED light panel as situations dictate.

I have quite a few Nikon lenses that I'm using regularly as well. Seriously considering a Ninja since I have pre-ordered an FS-100, I'm hesitating on adding more.

As much negative publicity as this camera has gotten, I'm really liking it. with a little pimping, it's very capable rig. In the first six months I had it, it paid for itself several times over as well as paying for all of the "add-ons". I have worked it pretty steadily since last November, and have work lined up into mid July.

I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with it's ideosyncracies, and pretty confident that I can get what I'm after almost all the time.

Are you working with the camera, or is it more recreational?

Piotr Wozniacki
June 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Hi Terrance,

Being an EX1 owner, in controlled situations I set it up with Letus Elite adapter and Canon FD glass similar to yours. I also am a nanoFlash user. I don't hide that if I could afford it, I'd buy the FS100 as the second camera - but in my present situation I would have to sell the EX1, which I'm reluctant to do...

But for those ad-hoc "beauty shots", I'd like to have some large sensor camera... I'm looking at many options, and the NEX VG10 and NEX-5 are among them. My questions:

- what is the crop factor of Canon FD on those APS-C sensors (i.e. what focal length would my Canon FD 50mm be)?

- I know for a fact that people do use nanoFlash to record HDMI from their VG10s, but is it also possible with the NEX-5?

Thanks,

Piotr

Henry Williams
June 23rd, 2011, 05:38 PM
If memory serves the crop factor is 1.8

Not sure about an hdmi out on the nex 5. Steve Mullen would be the man to ask.