View Full Version : General rule of thumb to match GoPro footage to other cams

Brian Mirsch
May 24th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new participant in the videography world, but I have some great toys that I'm learning on. My cameras are GoPro 960's, Canon XH-A1s, and Canon 60D.

I am using these cameras predominantly in live music/music video-esque shooting. Haven't delved into more delicate video, ie weddings and alike.

The obvious first (potential) difference between the footage from the above-mentioned cameras is the DOF. The GoPro's will always have the same focal length and DOF and this is honestly fine for my music videos because they are normally used in quick cuts and high-impact shots. However, my eye isn't trained enough tosay whether I should be sharpening/blurring/frame blending/desaturating, etc. when trying to match up the GoPro film to the other Canon's.

It's not the end of the world and of course I will be learning as I go along, but if anyone could give tips on the differences between the default settings, I would appreciate it! Thanks

Ian Newland
May 24th, 2011, 06:09 PM
R1. Good for long play medium quality surveillance around your home/car etc (with external power pack or battery)

R2. High quality Static or Low Motion shots in full 170 degree wide angle ( Cam not moving much)

R3. High Quality High Motion, half the "jello" wobble of all the other modes, full 170 degrees, smooth playback on TV, useful to retain smooth slow-motion in post processing.(.5 or .3 is best)

R4. Useful where a Tall Field of View is desirable (like mounted on a SUP board looking at you standing up)

R5. Full 1080p resolution, ideal if you want to crop and zoom sections of the frame, only 120 degree wide angle. Lot's of Jello wobble
Good High Quality low motion footage.

For me it's a no brainer, i want the best image the camera can produce with the least distortions when in motion. That mode is R3. I hardly ever use any other mode.

As for exposure settings, there are none, except a center and spot mode which makes very little difference.

Gordon Hoffman
May 25th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I believe the 960 doesn't do 720p60 or 1080p.

Gordon

Jack Zhang
May 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I recommend you shoot everything in 30p. Any mismatch would look odd in post. So set your A1s to 30F and anything else to 30p.

Ian Newland
May 25th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I believe the 960 doesn't do 720p60 or 1080p.

Gordon

That's true, i didn't notice 960 in the original post. In that case you are further limited with choices.

Ben Fullerton
May 26th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Sorry to slightly continue the hijacking of this thread...

But since the R3 setting gives the best results, if you want 1080p final output, is it better to shoot in R3, then upres to 1080p, or shoot in R5 and take the hit on quality and angle of view?

Ian Newland
May 26th, 2011, 07:23 PM
It depends on the footage, if there is lots of camera motion (mountain bike, etc) 720p 50/60 fps (R3) will have much less jello distortion and smoother motion, the upres obviously will take a hit but R5 recording IQ may appear worst due to the jello.