View Full Version : UWOL Fun shoot in June

Trond Saetre
May 30th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hello uwol friends

Since there won't be an official uwol contest until mid/late July, how about we have an unofficial contest all about fun?

"Rules":

Finished entries should be posted on vimeo and/or youtube.
File size/ quality only limited by vimeo/youtube.
Production - Submissions should be maximum 3 minutes in length. Credits are excluded from the 3-minute limit.

Post a reply in this thread. No deadline for sign up. It's all about having FUN!

Theme:
1. Post theme suggestions here in this thread.
2. By Friday June 3, midnight anywhere in the world, Email me the top 3 themes you vote for.
3. By Saturday June 4, I will post a thread releasing the theme most have voted for.

Deadline:
Sunday, July 3, midnight anywhere in the world.

After the deadline we post our feedback threads as usual.

Rewards:
The glory of spending time doing what we love :)

Sounds good?

Trond Saetre
May 31st, 2011, 06:21 AM
A couple theme ideas:

1. Flowers (Non moving "wildlife")

2. History (historical events or places in your local area)

3. In the air

4. Bugs (Insects... or other bugs..)

Catherine Russell
May 31st, 2011, 07:27 AM
Hi Trond:

Nice to see your enthusiasm carrying the day :)

How about this idea:

Since this is an unofficial round, how about relaxing all the rules and theme, except for rule #11 of course.

Why don't we post whatever work we feel like doing for feedback? That way, the length, credits, file size, content and everything about these entries can just be whatever they end up being for anyone who enters? Everyone can just do what the want to do.

I know that I have a "Foreword" section in the feature film that I'm working on that is going to open up the story in my film, that I would love to see what you guys think.

So as you say, this is my input and can be up for a vote along with the theme ideas of everyone else.

Hope all is well friend, and thanks for stepping up and taking the reigns on this one!

Cat

Trond Saetre
May 31st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Catherine, I was trying to keep the uwolish style of it. (length and outdoors..)
But your idea sounds good to me, as long as Rule #11 is strictly followed at all times. :)
That is the main purpose of this unofficial round.

So, unless anyone objects (before Friday this week) the NEW RULES are:

#1: Have FUN!
#2: Upload to Vimeo and/or youtube
#3: Post your feedback thread as we use to.

Deadline to upload:
Sunday, July 3, midnight anywhere in the world.

Now, why are you still online? Get your gear and go out to film something!
Let the fun begin!

Meryem Ersoz
May 31st, 2011, 08:36 AM
To be honest, even if you all are planning to do a fun shoot, you need to run it as a contest.

I don't mind people posting their periodic desire for feedback, if it is for a long-form film, but the place for general feedback is the regular "Under Water, Over Land" forum, not the contest forum.

I think it is important to hew to general UWOL guidelines, even for a fun shoot.

meanwhile, check out the project that Mat and I are working on together in Colorado - Mat crossed the pond to shoot some humans! so strange! it's fun to have him on my set.

http://twitpic.com/520jby

Trond Saetre
May 31st, 2011, 11:00 AM
That's a valid point, Meryem.
I guess that means we are now back to the original idea.

Anyone else have comments, ideas or theme suggestions?

Jim Moore
June 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Count me in guys. I’d love to give it a shot.

Trond Saetre
June 3rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
A couple more theme ideas:

Colors

Manmade creations...

One note: The rules/deadline will be as specified in my original post!

Get ready, guys and girls. Since I'm the only one who has suggested themes so far, I will let the fun begin a day early so everyone can use all this weekend too.
The theme will be released within the next 9 hours, and will be randomly selected by one of the themes suggested here in this thread by the time the theme is released.

Remember, signup will remain open all the time, until deadline.

Jim Moore
June 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
A couple more theme ideas:

Colors

Manmade creations...

I like both of these suggestions.

Dale Guthormsen
June 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
I have been unplugged for a bit, took a peak today and found this post.

I think "colors" is truly a fine universal theme anyone could do wherever and whatever season they are living in.

I thin holding to the standard rules is alright too.

Guess I will sign up for this one even though both of my cameras need to go out for repairs.

Thanks for undertaking the challenge.

Actually, colors covers bugs flowers , almost anything you want to do!!!

Dale

Trond Saetre
June 4th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Dale, tell your cameras to behave well.
Jim, welcome onboard! Good to have you with us :)

Victor Wilcox
June 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM
All right! I'm in. I think I can find some colors somewhere.

Lorinda Norton
June 10th, 2011, 08:01 PM
What a great theme that I think I can do! I'm in. :)

Marj Atkins
June 11th, 2011, 03:34 AM
I'm in. Really nice theme, Trond!

Bill Thesken
June 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Signing up Trond. Been filming a lot of nature lately and will put something together to share.

David Rice
June 29th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Being new to this, I'll give colors a try.

Upload to personal Vimeo/Youtube site? or to a designated Vimeo/Youtube site?

A designated location may make it more fun, plus all of the video's would be located in the same place. Just a thought.

Dave

Trond Saetre
June 29th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Hello David, welcome to the uwol family :)

This "FUN SHOOT" is an unofficial round while we wait for the next official challenge, which should begin in a month or so. Therefore we will not upload to the uwol website, and only use vimeo and/or youtube, whichever the players prefer.
The only size limits for the fun shoot videos, is the limits of vimeo and youtube. (dimensions and file size).
But max 3 minutes.

For the regular uwol challenges, we upload to the designated uwol website. The UWOL Challenge - Wildlife & Outdoor based film competition (http://www.uwolchallenge.com) and the players are also encouraged to upload to their personal youtube/vimeo accounts or personal websites.
See the sticky thread about the rules: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge-our-newest-contest/113245-what-rules-how-can-i-play.html

After deadline, post a new thread here, with a short description of your video, and include a link to your video. This is like we always do with the regular challenges, and all the players (and others) are strongly encouraged to post feedback about each others videos.

David Rice
June 30th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks!

I presume that we will be providing our Vimeo video link to a designated posted thread.

Dave

Trond Saetre
June 30th, 2011, 06:53 AM
That is correct, David. Each player will post his/her own feedback thread.

Make sure the thread title is the title of your film. Most players also include their own name in the title. Example: "title of your film - by (your name)"

David Rice
June 30th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Sounds good. I'm not much of a video editor, but I have found some color other than the blue ocean and green forests of summer. Saved by a low tide.

Dave

Trond Saetre
June 30th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Looking forward to see what you come up with!
You can learn a lot from participating in these challenges and from the feedback you get.

Dale Guthormsen
June 30th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Good evening,

Well, three days left. I have shot all the video I am going to for a while. I have three minutes on the line.

Been doing some recording for background audio, can't seem to get a consistant mood for the time.

Will do the voice over tomarrow, god willing.

How the rest of U all Duin???

Bill Thesken
June 30th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I'm done with the fun shoot edit. Been doing a lot of nature filming for the past 3 weeks, all over the place, over land, under water, hiking, driving, diving, hauling gear here and there. Got some pretty amazing, (to me anyways), footage. I took a few clips and spliced them together with some natural sounds and slack key guitar background. Ran a couple of edits and a couple of renders, thought about re-doing some of the edit, but after watching, it seems to capture the essence. I'm gathering footage for 3 projects I'm putting out to DVD and have a few sessions in the wild left to complete them. All the best - BT

Trond Saetre
July 1st, 2011, 04:18 AM
Very good, Bill!
Sounds like a huge project you are working on. Good luck! Hope that goes well for you.
Can't wait to see what you put together for the fun shoot.

Lorinda Norton
July 2nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
I got a decent amount of footage with the [rather late] idea of making a video for little kids learning their colors, but it is so boring I can't make myself work at trying to turn it into something useful.

Looking forward to watching the entries. Good luck to any who aren't finished yet!

Trond Saetre
July 3rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Lorinda, that sounds like a great project.

Good luck to everyone!
Deadline is right around the corner. :)