View Full Version : Firmware 1.1 and S-log available June 1

Greg Penetrante
June 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM
Here from Sony...

INTRODUCTION OF THE NEW CBK-RGB01 4:4:4 RGB AND S-LOG OUTPUT OPTIONAL SOFTWARE FOR PMW-F3K/L
TYPE: INTRODUCTION
Sony is pleased to announce the introduction of the CBK-RGB01 Optional Firmware Upgrade for the
PMW-F3 XDCAM EX 35mm Camcorder. This new upgrade enables the following functions:
1. S-Log gamma
2. 3G-SDI output
3. Dual Link RGB444 video output
4. User LUTs
5. Pre-loaded LUTs
RGB 4:4:4 Output
RGB 4:4:4 1080 23.98/ 25/ 29.97PsF signal is available over an HD-SDI dual-link interface or 3G HD-SDI
output (menu defined), allowing the use of an external recorder such as the SR-R1 SRMemory Recorder
for the highest quality output for VFX works such as Chroma-key, compositing, and CGI. The Dual Link
HD-SDI option enables 10-bit RGB 23.98/25/29.97PsF or 10 bit 4:2:2 108050P/59.94P uncompressed
external recording – ideal for integration with high quality production workflows such as HDCAM SR.
S-Log Gamma
S-Log mode is available with a wide dynamic range (800%) in the RGB 4:4:4 10-bit signal.
Built in LUTs
Retain the maximum dynamic range from shadow details to highlight. Exactly the same S-Log workflow
as for high-end products such as the Sony F-35.
LUT (Look Up Table)
LUTs can be applied to HD-SDI output and SxS recording off-line. User-defined LUTs (created by CVP
file editor) can be stored by using an SxS card. LUTs can be used for off-line edit with the SxS
recorded content. Users can also transfer user-defined LUTs from one camera to another for ease of
set up.
This new software upgrade option requires the installation of v1.10 operational firmware for the PMWF3K/
L. The PMW-F3K/L v1.10 firmware is user installable via an SxS card, and downloadable, along with
instructions, from the Sony ServicesPlus website: https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sonysoftware.aspx
List Price Qty Available
CBK-RGB01 - 4:4:4 RGB and S-Log output option software for PMW-F3K/L $ 4,440 - 1 June, 2011
Features and specifications are preliminary and subject to change without notice.

-----
I've ordered it today. Let's see what happens ;)

Leonard Levy
June 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
Now its $4,400?

Nate Weaver
June 1st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Did this info come from a Sony USA source?

I'm a little irked at the rollout of the SLog upgrade. No dates, confusing pricing (I've heard $3300, $3600, now $4400 all from trusted sources, two of which were Sony). Hopefully it's $4400 Canadian? Australian?

I'll let the fact that back in November it was slated for April slide...nobody seems to remember that bullet point except me I think.

Jean-Philippe Archibald
June 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
For your info, the Canadian dollar is stronger than the the US one in the moment. I hope for you that's NOT 4400$ CDN ;-)

Nate Weaver
June 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM
For your info, the Canadian dollar is stronger than the the US one in the moment. I hope for you that's NOT 4400$ CDN ;-)

Haven't been paying attention. I knew somebody would take that one and run with it.

Colin Hubick
June 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM
This new software upgrade option requires the installation of v1.10 operational firmware for the PMWF3K/
L. The PMW-F3K/L v1.10 firmware is user installable via an SxS card, and downloadable, along with
instructions, from the Sony ServicesPlus website: https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sonysoftware.aspx
List Price Qty Available
CBK-RGB01 - 4:4:4 RGB and S-Log output option software for PMW-F3K/L $ 4,440 - 1 June, 2011
Features and specifications are preliminary and subject to change without notice.

-----
I've ordered it today. Let's see what happens ;)

I tried the link above, but it doesn't work, does anybody know where exactly the v1.10 of the F3 firmware is?

David C. Williams
June 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Anyone found the v1.10 firmware yet? Searched everywhere, no luck...

Andy Shipsides
June 2nd, 2011, 02:26 AM
It doesn't look to be posted yet. I did not receive any update from Sony on that yet. Hopefully in a couple of hours it will be up.

Andy

Andrew Stone
June 2nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
An updated version of the firmware information.

PMW-F3 New Firmware Information

author Peter Crithary posted 6/1/2011

The following features are free of charge:

Dual Link HD-SDI output
4:2:2 10bit 1080 23.98/ 25/ 29.97PsF*
*1080 59.94i and 50i are already available with V1.00.
SxS software key installation for CBK-RGB01 and CBK-3DL01.
Planning metadata functionality same as PMW-350 V1.30 except Wi-Fi.
Simultaneous HD-SDI and HDMI output (menu setting)
Ability to use the S & Q dial for menu setting (same as jog dial on the rear panel).
Display the signal format of the Dual Link output on the STATUS window.
In Thumbnail mode, vertical navigation of the cursor is now possible
TC output follows the internal Timecode Generator (TCG).
One-click adjustment of Peaking, Brightness and Contrast of the LCD/EVF.

The following features are activated with the CBK-RGB01 optional cost-based software key:

RGB4:4:4 10bit, 1080 23.98/ 25/ 29.97PsF output on the Dual Link HD-SDI or 3G-SDI.
S-LOG Gamma output on the Dual Link or 3G-SDI.
Switching HD-SDI Dual Link and 3G-SDI.
3G-SDI is only available on the Link-A connector and Link-B is OFF.
LUTs (including x4 preset and x5 user-defined) for on-set video monitoring.
LUT On/Off is applied to both HD-SDI output and SxS recording at the same time.
LUT name information will be recorded to SxS as NRT metadata of the Clips and it can be seen by the XDCAM browser.
User-defined LUTs can be created by CVP file editor for free.
Wi-Fi function for Planning metadata (same as V1.30 for PMW-350).

Andrew Stone
June 3rd, 2011, 12:42 AM
Direct link to the firmware download page:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-software-model-PMWF3.aspx

David C. Williams
June 3rd, 2011, 01:55 AM
Cheers Andrew!

David C. Williams
June 3rd, 2011, 03:07 AM
Good news and bad news. Upgrade went fine. All my MXM adapters now no longer work in my F3.

Aaron Newsome
June 3rd, 2011, 03:38 AM
What's an MXM adapter?

Chris Medico
June 3rd, 2011, 03:58 AM
Good news and bad news. Upgrade went fine. All my MXM adapters now no longer work in my F3.

Now that sucks.

What happens? Do you get an error or does the camera not recognize them?

David C. Williams
June 3rd, 2011, 04:39 AM
Nothing at all happens when I put them in with the SDHC cards in them. I've found if I put the adapter into the SxS slot without the SDHC card inside, then slide the card into the adapter, they are recognised. Not sure if reliability is affected yet. Rebooting dismounts them again.

Chris Medico
June 3rd, 2011, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully we can find out more about the issue soon.

Doug Jensen
June 3rd, 2011, 06:15 AM
I don't own any MxM adapters, but my Hoodman and Sony adapters (SD and Memory Stick versions) all function normally using any of my Hoodman, Sony, and SanDisk cards.

Steve Cahill
June 3rd, 2011, 06:15 AM
Have you tried a new "format" in camera once they are mounted?

Just downloaded the new firmware , I have older cards and new Hoodmans to test. Hate to loose the functionality of those cards. Sony has their version as well, which I do not have, wonder if those are having issues.

Peter Corbett
June 3rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
I don't have any SxS cards, just the Sony MEAD adaptor and Sandisk SD cards. The firmware WILL NOT upgrade with SD cards and the SxS adaptor. I just ordered a new 32gb SxS card but won't get it for a week. :(

Steve Cahill
June 3rd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Just did the update and I can confirm the following cards (pictured here) work with the upgrade.

I did do the upgrade with a Sony SxS 8GB card with sucess.

Did not get the S&Q knob working with the menus, I thought this was the case with the 1.1 upgrade. What am I missing? Hold down the cancel button then press the down the S&Q button to enable the S&Q button. Repeat the above action to disable so that it is a S&Q button, one or the other. Thank you Doug Jensen for that!

Nick Hiltgen
June 3rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
thats crazy sony lists a sdhc card reader as one of it's accessories for use with the camera. i wonder if those still work...

Ned Soltz
June 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Deleted...

Chris Medico
June 3rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
thats crazy sony lists a sdhc card reader as one of it's accessories for use with the camera. i wonder if those still work...

I have a sony card adapter at home but am somewhat concerned about discovering the answer to that question.

Andrew Stone
June 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Banged off a couple of clips on my now ancient SDHC/adapter combos using the Delkin and Kensington adapters with Sandisk UltraII Class 4 16GB cards. They worked as per usual

Andrew Stone
June 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
A point that is worth underscoring about the firmware upgrade process is the 3 stage process it goes through with the second stage giving little indication that the upgrade is actually working.

Here is what happens.... When you start the upgrade process with the "PMW-EX3_1.15_1151.f.bin" file on the root of your Sony SxS card and once you hit "execute" when in the "Version Up" setting menu, you will be led through what Sony defines as a 3 stage process. During stages one and three you will see an indication on the flip out LCD that everything is proceeding with a seconds elapsed display, however, during the 2nd phase which lasts 5 minutes the screen is black. However, if you look you will see the record tally light is on the rear of the camera giving you an indication that things are proceeding.

Just mentioning this in case someone panics when the LCD screen goes black during the 2nd phase of the firmware update process.

Ryan Hollings
June 3rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
fwiw,

I just called my local sony dealer and was told the CBKRGB01 upgrade is $4,024.00 cdn.

Jason Bodnar
June 3rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
3680.00 here in the US

David C. Williams
June 3rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Seems some adaptors work, other don't. This is the specific one I have that does not work properly any longer.

MXML SDXC Adapter for Sony XDCAM EX CAMERA with case - (MXML16) - MXM Express (http://mxmexpress.com/product.php?id_product=69)

Using with these SDHC cards.

http://mxmexpress.com/product.php?id_product=32

Andrew Stone
June 3rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Seems the issue is with MxM adapters and/or their memory. I suspect it is the adapter as the memory is not even seen by the camera.

I recall one of these card manufacturer/resellers having so bum lots or ones with a problem chipset and sending out replacements to people who bought the early revisions of their cards. Someone with the MxM cards should check with them to see what they say about it.

James Houk
June 3rd, 2011, 08:39 PM

Not really very crazy that a firmware update might inadvertently adversely affect a 3rd party adapter designed to work with an earlier camera (EX1/EX3) with older firmware.

I would assume the firmware was tested against the Sony MEAD-SD01, as that's Sony's official adapter.

Seeing as the Sony adapter only costs between $125 to $175, depend on the vendor, it's really not very outrageously priced for professional work. Granted, a Hoodman adapter only costs $50.

Doug Jensen
June 4th, 2011, 04:33 AM
As I said in an earlier post, the new firmware works fine with both my Sony adapters (SD and Memory Stick) so I'm sure it was tested with them.

Nick Hiltgen
June 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM
For anyone that is nervous about the upgrade. I was able to install the firmware on an e-films MxR card (with a PNY 32GB class 10 SDHC card inside) and afterwards was able to record and play back on the e-CLR and the MxR cards with the PNY 32GB cards inside.

So in my experience I have had no ill effects with the install using the MxR cards nor have I had any issues after the upgrade with the MxR cards.

That being said, I had a funny thing happen immediately after the camera was upgraded where on the reboot nothing happened. I pulled the power supply and battery and the powered it up again and had no issues. I'm going to attribute that to some weird firmware strangeness and the camera waking up dumb, no issues afterwards though, and like I said all sdhc sxs card adapters are currently working. I'll post an update if something changes.

Chuck Fishbein
June 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Just upgraded without any issues.
I did have some problems accessing the download site using Safari. No problem with Firefox.

Nate Weaver
June 4th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Updated yesterday with Hoodman adapter and Lexar SD cards.

No probs with update, and no problems rolling a little footage so far.

Leonard Levy
June 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Have any of you guys gotten the S&Q dial working? There was a thread that said you need to hold the cancel button down (or push S&Q and cancel at the same time?) to enable it for menus and again to return to S&Q mode.

Nick Hiltgen
June 4th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Just tried it. Yeah you have to hold the cancel button in then tap the s&q button. It then pops up and says "s&q dial: jog dial mode" Tap the s&q button again (while still holding the cancel button) and it changes to "s&q dial: s&q dial mode" a little convoluted but i prefer that dial to the menu dial in the back.

Peter Corbett
June 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Updated yesterday with Hoodman adapter and Lexar SD cards.

No probs with update, and no problems rolling a little footage so far.

Weird, it worked with the MXR adaptor and a Sandisc 32gb, but the Sony MEAD adaptor wouldn't run the upgrade. Anyway, the firmware is updating now...

Andy Shipsides
June 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Great to see people figured on the S&Q dial.. damn confusing.

Andy

Michael Carmine
June 5th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I put the card in and it does not see the firmware upgrade? Is there some secret?

Michael Carmine
June 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Never mind I got the firmware to the root directory. But my Hoodman Raw sxsxsdhc adapters do not work. The Hoodman 16 gb sdhc 10 raw steel cards do work but in my e-film MxR adapter cards and my Transcend sdhc class 10-16gb cards work fine.

I am returning my Hoodman card adapters to Hoodman for replacements.

Chris Medico
June 6th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Want to report that the firmware update went well and the MxM SDHC adapters with the ATP memory cards are working fine.

WHEW!

Leonard Levy
June 7th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Just upgraded and all is well. Jog wheel is great and no problem with Hoodman Raw adapter and 16G raw Steel SDHC card.

Sam Painter
June 11th, 2011, 02:51 PM
A flashing "Rec 2" comes up screen left of the HD SDI output while I am recording.
I can not get it to go away with display mode. It stays on flashing all the time while in record.
Distracting and annoying.
Anybody have any ideas on how to disable this?
Why does it flash Rec "2" ?
It does not change depending on what card I am recording onto or what record button I push.
Thanks Sam

Alister Chapman
June 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
You have SDI Rec Control enabled in the Video Set menu. The camera can send a "record" signal down the SDI to trigger external recorders.

Sam Painter
June 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thank you!