View Full Version : F3 + Ki Pro Mini: Record Occasionally Not Working

Scott Lovejoy
June 2nd, 2011, 08:39 AM
I worked a weekend with the Sony F3 and the Ki Pro Mini. I thought it worked pretty well, and my complaints were mostly personal and based on preference.

One thing that did happen, though, was that occasionally the record on the camera would not trigger the record on the Ki Pro, but when recording was stopped, the Ki Pro would increment its Take Number. I don't have my config file, but we shot for hours, and even dumped footage before this was a problem.

The takes weren't back to back so it wasn't some sort of write error. Also, we were using SanDisk 32GB 60s.

Kevin Wolff
June 2nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
Unless AJA has very recently updated their site, I don't believe those cards are on the list of approved media for the Ki Pro Mini.

Scott Lovejoy
June 2nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Unless AJA has very recently updated their site, I don't believe those cards are on the list of approved media for the Ki Pro Mini.

Hm, now I wonder if it is the 90. Regardless, this seemed like a more communication error, considering we had no problems with the actual footage (or the Ki Pro keeping up).

If more people say that this is probably our problem, I will concede the the point.

Jon Thorn
June 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Scott L. - I don't think it's prudent to speculate what might have happened with the little information supplied...

Having said that... the only thing that comes to mind is that video cameras sometimes go into idle "sleep-like" states and if a recording did not arm as expected, perhaps the camera didn't "wake-up" for a sufficient amount of time before a recording was started. I've seen that type of behavior sometimes on tape based cameras. Haven't seen it on a file based camera yet, but I would suppose it's possible. What you can see in such cases is incrementing timecode falsely arms the Ki Pro or Ki Pro Mini when the media cues up for a split second during the "wake-up" whereby the timecode out of the SDI "burps" out a few short values, then goes back to a stopped state. That's the only thing I can think of and it's pretty speculative.

I would suggest contacting AJA Technical Support to review your configuration if you have a concern about it.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.