View Full Version : Switching to a different brand of mini DV tape

Blayde Stone
June 9th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Good morning forum, been a while since my last post, but I know I am in good hands here.
I've been using Maxell mini DV tape in my GL-2's for many years, I now want to use Sony tapes.
What would the procedure be to change over to this Sony brand?
Would I first use a Maxell cleaning cassette, then use the Sony cleaning cassette before using the Sony tapes? I'm at a loss here would appreciate your input thanks....

Jacques Mersereau
June 10th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Honestly, I would recommend panasonic AY-DVMM63PQ. I have tried ALL tapes and found these to be the best despite their low price point.

Sony has given me trouble even with their most expensive stock.

BUT, in either case, you need to clean your tape heads buy purchasing a DV cleaning tape.

Taperesources.com is where I usually buy.

Blayde Stone
June 10th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks Jacques for your reply, as I mentioned in my post I was thinking about using a Maxell cleaning cassette first, then followed by a Sony cleaning cassette, then finally using the Sony Mini DV tape to record. On.
I guess it's all preference on what brand of tape to use. I've visited some of the DVI archives about what tape brand to use, and there was quite a bit of differing opinions on this. Thanks again

Don Bloom
June 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I agree with Jacques about the PQs. I've been using them for many years, hundreds and hundreds of tapes and have found perhaps 1 bad tape in the bunch. IMO they are the best tapes out there.
I also give my money to Taperesouces dot com. Plus you get the M&Ms. mmmmmmmmm!

Blayde Stone
June 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks Don for your reply, seems like you guys are sold on that Panasonic tape... And tapesources is a top notch supplier, notto mention the M&Ms!! Thanks again