View Full Version : HVX-200, PAL V's NTSC

Mike Maher
June 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hi, this is my first posting :-)

I currently film weddings with a Sony PD170, but its getting old now and i've fell in love with the picture quality of the panasonic hvx-200, im in the UK but found a NTSC one for a good price

my issue is this, does it really matter that much if i get an ntsc version, as im go to edit it in premiere and export out in avi format before buring to dvd,

i understand the fundamental differences between pal and ntsc but in reality if i film in ntsc full hdi and then render out in premier and burn to dvd, surely that footage will still look really good? and a lot better then the pd170,

all advice greatly appreciated

Robin Probyn
June 29th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Watch for flicker from gas/florri lights UK 50 Htz.. NTSC 60 Htz.. can get rid of it easy with shutter but will need to open iris to compensate for less light.Still for weddings shouldnt be too much of a problem.. unless your shooting in Vegas :)

Daniel Epstein
June 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Your PD-170 is probably a lot more sensitive in low light than an HVX-200 which is kind of slow. Given that you would want to set the shutter to the frequency of the electricity in the country you are in it will be even slower. I think this could cause you some angst based on the weddings I have dealt with over the years. Don't usually do them but it has come up. The HD aspect and the P2 Cards are a big step up with the 200 but I would look for a Pal version or an HPX-170 which can be switchable with a software upgrade if it doesn't have the standard you use most often.