View Full Version : Is your slider on the tripod all the time?

Gerald Labrador
June 29th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Do you have a dedicated tripod for your slider? Or do you folks take your slider on and off all the time?

This weekend was the first time I had the slider on the entire time, even for non-sliding shots. By the end of the day my tripod head was loose and wobbly. So I'm checking if you all have a different strategy when it comes to sliders during the wedding day.

I have an Indislider mini for my T2i setup so its not that heavy.

David Schuurman
June 29th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I take my slider off, I have the same slider as you but I still want as little equipment as possible to be bulking up my area when Im trying to get the shot. I can certainly see leaving it on for the ceremony but usually I dont shoot slider shots at the ceremony. I have manfrotto QR plates on everything and so its easy to take on and off.

Kelly Langerak
June 30th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I have a small manfrotto tripod with a quick release on it that is dedicated to the my DP Slider. I want to say it's the 3650 legs and the 561 head. I like to have the option of putting on the tripod to get shots of guest eating, table setup, cake etc. It's a bit of extra equipment but I love having the option of raising it up or down.

Johannes Soetandi
July 5th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I hardly put my slider on the tripod. It's too much hardwork! I wouldn't use a slider that often anyway, unless I really have a specific shots in mind.

Philip Howells
July 5th, 2011, 03:00 AM
We use a short slider for the shots that need it. Since all sliders bend to some degree or other we only mount it for the shots that need it. Manfrotto QR mounts make it simple and quick, same for the Fig Rig.

Michael Clark
July 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Sorry...to make sure I understand, are you able to get a pretty balanced shot with a slider on one tripod? I have a glidetrack and have been putting two tripods next to each other to balance it. I have the shorter glidetrack, and would love to find a way to use one tripod (Manfrotto 501hdv). I shoot dslr, so the camera isn't that heavy, but it's still just always been a little wobbly.

Nigel Barker
July 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM
It's possible to use a slider with just one tripod but you do have to be careful about it tipping over at each end of the track by gripping the tripod &/or track in your other hand while moving the camera with the other. I have used a Glidetrack with two tripods & it's a hassle when moving rom one location to another but is more stable in use. The lighter tracks e.g. original Glidetrack do tend to droop at the end with the weight of the camera but heavier duty or stiffer tracks don't e.g. Glidetrack HD or Kessler Pocket Dolly.

An alternative to using two tripods that I have seen recommended is to use a tripod at one end with a lighting stand at the other.

Jim Greene
July 5th, 2011, 02:22 PM
You can use it on just one tripod. Once you get used to tightening the tripod it won't dip and you can also support one end with your hand. However an easier method instead of using a 2nd tripod or a lightstand is to use a monopod with a swivel head, like the Manfrotto 560B with the Manfrotto 234 Swivel Tilt head.

Kevin Hill
July 6th, 2011, 12:40 PM
We take it off and on throughout the day, too. It's on for preparations, pre-ceremony (e.g. chair / pew slider shots), photoshoot, and pre-reception shots (e.g. decorations and details). We take it off whenever we anticipate having to move quickly or being really crowded.

Gerald Labrador
July 6th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yeah, I think leaving it on the tripod was more of a hassle when moving around. I'll get some quick release plates.