View Full Version : Review of Quyen Le's Letus35

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Obin Olson
September 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM
http:////dv3productions.com/HD_dvx/Q_adapter-1.wmv

anyone have comments?

dvx100a Reel Stream output 1280x720 downsize from teh raw HD frames in aftereffects, basic color work in after effects, shot on a 85mm Nikon Nikkor at f1.4 using 4 AA cells to power the Q adapter and the micro35 achromat, mounted to the Micro35 Rail system with a wood mount to hold the front of the Q adapter on the rails so it's stable

Quyen Le
September 19th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Cannot download your footage, any password?

Wayne Kinney
September 19th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Obin,
What strength macro are you using there?

I cant download your footage, you URL looks odd?

Thanks,
Wayne

Michael Maier
September 19th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Obin, so far this is the best Lestus35 footage I have seen. It may be because it's HD rez, or because you are using the Micro35 achromat lens, which would indicate the Letus35 macro is of lower quality. But even though, it's nothing extraordinary. I think your footage with the realstream and the micro35 DIY looked sharper. Could you post some footage shot outside, maybe some trees, with wide shots and close ups?

Wayne Kinney
September 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Ok,
The URL had //// instead of // downloaded now. Footage looks great, nice and sharp. What strength macro are you using with the dvx100a?

Thanks,
Wayne.

Obin Olson
September 19th, 2005, 05:12 PM
I forgot, it had 6db of gain, that mames HD really grainy..I think outside footage will be really nice as you have so much light to work with

I can also tell you that the micro35 Achromat is MUCH MUCH better quality then the standard one that ships with this unit, I could not shoot HD with the standard Achromat.

Michael Maier
September 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Somehow all the footage I have seen from the Letus35 has been the most soft of all adapters. I have a real issue with sharpness. In my opinion, the sharpest of all these home built adapters, was the one made by the guy who converted the FX-1 to exchangeable lens. I think he was an Italian guy. The clips he posted were INCREDIBLY sharp. Neither the Micro35 or the G35 and certainly not the Letus35 produce nicer or sharper images. But I don't think he's selling them. I wonder what he got right.

Obin Olson
September 19th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I can tell you why it was sharp, he removed the stock lens!! that is the ticket, and what I will do soon on our dvx.

It's a SOFT lens, trust me.

Michael Maier
September 19th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I can tell you why it was sharp, he removed the stock lens!! that is the ticket, and what I will do soon on our dvx.

Yeah, he had some other lens in there. What was it?
Do you think that lens was better quality and made the difference? The thing is he shot with a FX-1, which is HD, and his adapter held up great. You said the Letus35 doesn't. So the FX-1 guy did something different. Was really just the removal of the stock lens making the whole difference? If so, one could get similar results with a XL2 or HD100, which are exchangeable lenses.
I wonder how he got that lens to work with the whole system. It wasn't a zoom. I wonder what focal length etc.

It's a SOFT lens, trust me.

You lost me here.

Quyen Le
September 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Michael,

Obin means the original lens on the DVX is soft. Hope this helps.

Quyen

Obin Olson
September 19th, 2005, 09:37 PM
can you shoot me a link to the guy that has the lens off the Fx cam? I want to talk with him about his relay setup for that system

Eric Brown
September 19th, 2005, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=Michael Maier]Somehow all the footage I have seen from the Letus35 has been the most soft of all adapters. I have a real issue with sharpness. In my opinion, the sharpest of all these home built adapters, was the one made by the guy who converted the FX-1 to exchangeable lens. I think he was an Italian guy. The clips he posted were INCREDIBLY sharp. Neither the Micro35 or the G35 and certainly not the Letus35 produce nicer or sharper images.

The production G35's will be shipping with a bayonet mount for those cameras without a fixed lens, (XL2, HD100..) and threaded (obviously) for those cameras with a fixed lens.
As an XL2 owner I'm hoping this will help increase sharpness as I don't have to worry about "stacking' glass.
the Letus35 does produce great depth of field but does run short in the area of sharpness. No matter how much I try I am unable to produce a sharp picture with my camera and lenses.
But, this is a first run production. Perhaps Quyen will go to a different achromat eventually?
In the meantime I am patiently awaiting the G35.
But, yes, that FX-1 footage was indeed sharp! HD seems to love these adapters.

Bill Porter
September 20th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Obin, did you see Sean Porter's problem that cropped up when he replaced the stock DVX lens on his camera? What do you think the problem was with Sean's design?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39420

He never posted a response so I'm wondering whether he resolved the issue.

The production G35's will be shipping with a bayonet mount for those cameras without a fixed lens, (XL2, HD100..) and threaded (obviously) for those cameras with a fixed lens.

Are you sure? Maybe Jonathan will verify and clarify...

Steven Fokkinga
September 20th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Obin: http://www.eidomedia.com/hdve/ziess_fuji.htm and:
http://www.eidomedia.com/hdve/index.php for contact info

Cheers,
Steven

Marius Luessi
September 20th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Obin: http://www.eidomedia.com/hdve/ziess_fuji.htm and:
http://www.eidomedia.com/hdve/index.php for contact info

Cheers,
Steven

Wow, thanks Steven for the links.
So what's exactly involved in this conversion? Do you know?

Bill Porter
September 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM
The links still have some pics up in the gallery but not all. The conversion consisted of removing the stock lens, grinding off a couple of little plastic bits that were in the way, machining and installing a metal adapter plate, and mounting the new lens.

Obin Olson
September 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM
it's amazing the image quality of the new lens, and that's an SD lens?

shot a professional 30sec tv spot today with teh Letus35, really really nice footage from it, I will post some when I start to edit.

Eric Brown
September 20th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Obin, did you see Sean Porter's problem that cropped up when he replaced the stock DVX lens on his camera? What do you think the problem was with Sean's design?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39420

He never posted a response so I'm wondering whether he resolved the issue.

Are you sure? Maybe Jonathan will verify and clarify...

I read it at the source. It's one of the newer posts. Hopefully I'm not mistaken but I 'm positive bayonet mounts are indeed available.

One of the reasons I have not bought the redrockmicro.

Here's the thread:

http://www.guerilla35.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=106

Bill Porter
September 21st, 2005, 03:20 AM
Eric, I read the entire thread again and I think you are misunderstanding Jonathan, or I am misunderstanding you, LOL

I got the impression you meant that the G35 would allow you to omit the original XL-2 lens and mount the G35 directly to the camcorder without a lens on the camcorder. If this is what you meant then I think you are mistaken.

Maheel Perera
September 21st, 2005, 09:40 AM
it's amazing the image quality of the new lens, and that's an SD lens?

shot a professional 30sec tv spot today with teh Letus35, really really nice footage from it, I will post some when I start to edit.

Obin,

Are you refering to Matteo's lens or the lens you used with the LETUS 35 for your TV spot?

Obin Olson
September 21st, 2005, 10:04 AM
dv3productions.com/Letus35/Letus35.bmp

I would say one of the best features about the Letus is the fact that you can shoot into lights with it. it has ZERO reflections of a spinning GG.

Example:
dv3productions.com/Letus35/Letus_light.bmp

Graham Bernard
September 21st, 2005, 10:18 AM
That is just too gorgeous!

Thanks ..

Grazie

Obin Olson
September 21st, 2005, 12:26 PM
it's sick, I feel like my production value on ANYTYING I point the dvx at has increased 10fold, feels like cheating!

Michael Maier
September 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM
Hey Obin, is that just plain DVX100a or Realstream? Looks good. Could you post a short clip of that?
So, am I right in assuming you think the Letus with a better achromat and condensor is better than the M2? You sure sound like you think so.

Obin Olson
September 21st, 2005, 12:45 PM
I have no answer to that, as both products are still not really the final thing.

I like the Letus35 in many many ways

dv man, no reelstream

Michael Maier
September 21st, 2005, 01:01 PM
So that was just DV? Looked very good. Which achromat and condensor did you use?
I would still like to see the clip those stills came from, if possible.

Obin Olson
September 21st, 2005, 01:55 PM
the clips look even better, really really nice stuff, it's a joy to cut it ;) I will send a finished spot when it's done, ok?

micro35 achromat and Letus35 adapter

Obin Olson
September 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM
I would say the 35 adapters are like shooting 16mm and doing a DVCAM transfer, it's the same thing, but done in-camera with the lens system ;)

and you spend way less $$, and your wait time for the lab is gone ;)

course film gives you more range Stop-wise, but that is what the reelstream is for ;)

Michael Maier
September 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM
the clips look even better, really really nice stuff, it's a joy to cut it ;) I will send a finished spot when it's done, ok?

Yes, it would be really great if you cold upload at list a short clip when you get the chance.

I would say the 35 adapters are like shooting 16mm and doing a DVCAM transfer, it's the same thing, but done in-camera with the lens system ;)

and you spend way less $$, and your wait time for the lab is gone ;)

course film gives you more range Stop-wise, but that is what the reelstream is for ;)

If DVX100a DV is like 16mm, 720p might be like 35mm :D
Those are really great times.

Bill Porter
September 21st, 2005, 04:26 PM
Come to think of it, yes, kinda.

720 is only about 1/3 of the resolution of 16mm. 480 is of course 1/4 the res of 16mm. However, 1080 can be indistinguishable from 35mm (which is the equivalent of about 3000p). So since 720 is up toward the thousand-px mark, maybe you're right.

But regardless of res, DV is a wonderfully easy to work with and liberating media form!

Obin Olson
September 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM
REALLY rought cut, wide bars are crappy...but I know many are waiting for professional footage...so hear ya go!

www.dv3productions.com/Letus35/Letus35-1.wmv

Michael Maier
September 21st, 2005, 05:05 PM
Looks very good Obin. It really looks like 16mm footage in many ways. Hard to believe it's just plain old 24p DV. Good job!

Jonny Dee
September 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Hey Obin, the footage looks great. Its encouraging to see since my unit is in the mail and I also have a DVX. Could you sum up what modifications you made to the Quyens original unit? You added an extra 2 AA's to get more speed out of the motor. Do you find you need a macro (if so what make are you using) or is the DVX lens able to focus that close on its own?

Thanks for the posts, looks like its going to be a nice piece.

Jon

Michael Maier
September 21st, 2005, 05:28 PM
I think Quyen should do something about the speed of the motor to correct the problems mentioned.
I think Obin said he's suing the Micro35's macro, because the one which comes with the letus35 wasn't sharp enough.

Craig Bellaire
September 21st, 2005, 06:16 PM
Well if he's using the macro that you buy for the Do it your self kit, that's one thing becase I have 6... But if he's using the macro for the M2 it's $150.00, then that's another...

Michael Maier
September 21st, 2005, 06:33 PM
Craig, which Macro is it for $150? The Century Optics one?

Craig Bellaire
September 21st, 2005, 06:50 PM
Not sure really.. It's on their web site... Do you know which one it is? thank

Obin Olson
September 21st, 2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys! it's going to be a nice spot

using the micro35 pro achromat, the letus one is crappy
using the micro35 rod system(awesome rails!!)
built a brace for the letus that attaches on the rails, can't shoot without it, to much lens shake when you focus the thing...

Evan C. King
September 22nd, 2005, 03:19 AM
Is there a way to buy the micro35 pro achromat and just that? Obin can you post a pic of what your dvx setup looks like? I'm gonna get one for my dvx and want footage as good as yours.

Martin Munthe
September 22nd, 2005, 05:07 AM
I'm shooting Letus35 with the HC1 right now. Very tricky setup. The HC1 is not that good in low light and the Letus35 on that and an extra glass is really complicated to shoot with. I'f I shoot a medium close up of a person four feet away the nose will be in focus but not the ear. It's absolutely impossible to tell focus on a small LCD or in the viewfinder so I got a 7,5" high res LCD and mounted it with the camera for critical focus. In HDV 1080i resolutions the grain from the GG is really too big. The result reminds me of old analogue telecines done in the 70's. And I'm having trouble with dirt specs moving around on the GG. I'll post clips later.

Michael Maier
September 22nd, 2005, 05:18 AM
Hey Martin, looking forward to the clips.

Jonny Dee
September 22nd, 2005, 05:24 AM
Thanks Obin, so thats a 72mm macro or are you stepping down to a 58mm macro? I'm guessing since it came with the micro35 its 58mm

Jon

Obin Olson
September 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM
everyone is allways bitching about the grain, I love it, it's half of the "filmlook" IMHO, I would never want to get rid of it....but that is me, some like crisp video I guess...

Obin Olson
September 22nd, 2005, 06:44 AM
I have shot tests in HD on the dvx100, I don't feel it's to big at all, I am using the 4AA system too though, maybe that is the issue, try you HC with a 4AA setup

Craig Bellaire
September 22nd, 2005, 06:53 AM
I will have to say that the video looks really good.

Marius Luessi
September 22nd, 2005, 06:54 AM
I have shot tests in HD on the dvx100, I don't feel it's to big at all, I am using the 4AA system too though, maybe that is the issue, try you HC with a 4AA setup

Hey Obin,
do you, by any chance, know the motor's amp rating and voltage rating?
I guess you're running 6V now, correct?

Marius Luessi
September 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM
I have shot tests in HD on the dvx100...

What exactly do you mean by HD on a DVX? Sorry if this was explained earlier. Cheers.

Obin Olson
September 22nd, 2005, 07:13 AM
No I don't know the rating, I would have to ask what it is, if I am using to many cells it still works well, I guess I could burn up the motor, but it looks like a $3 item to me, and it's worth the extra picture quality

Reel-stream.com is what HD dvx is

Marius Luessi
September 22nd, 2005, 07:17 AM
No I don't know the rating, I would have to ask what it is, if I am using to many cells it still works well, I guess I could burn up the motor, but it looks like a $3 item to me, and it's worth the extra picture quality

Reel-stream.com is what HD dvx is

Thanks Obin.

Ah, yes, reel-stream, that one I was aware of. NICE!
And thanks for the reply.

Bill Porter
September 22nd, 2005, 08:05 AM
I'm shooting Letus35 with the HC1 right now. Very tricky setup. The HC1 is not that good in low light and the Letus35 on that and an extra glass is really complicated to shoot with. I'f I shoot a medium close up of a person four feet away the nose will be in focus but not the ear.

That sounds to me like a shallow depth of field and not a function of the Letus or any extra glass. What lens are you using?