View Full Version : Lens Options

Stephen Barries
August 22nd, 2005, 11:16 PM
In comparing the HVX to the new JVC HD camera one of the potential advantages of the JVC is the removable lens (and subsequent addl lens options).
Will there be options for the Panasonic givenit is a fixed lens? How much of a disadvantage is this for the Panasonic?
Thanks,
Stephen

Chris Hurd
August 23rd, 2005, 01:05 AM
It's a disadvantage only if you perceive it to be, Stephen.

Rest assured there will be a wide variety of add-on glass for the HVX200, including teleconverters, wide-angle adapters, zoom-through and non-zoom through versions of each, anamorphic for super-wide 2.35 recording, etc. etc.

The JVC HD100 is a shoulder-mount and the HVX200 is a handycam. So in addition to choosing a format (HDV vs. DVCPRO HD), you're also choosing a form factor. Fortunately there are shoulder-mounts and handycams available in just about any format. I think you should choose your format, then choose your ergonomic preference, and go from there.

To answer your question, there is no "disadvantage" for the manufacturer... only for the user who chooses the wrong camera for their particular needs. What one person labels as a disadvantage in their eyes, another person can just as easily claim it as an advantage from their own point of view. *Everything* is relative, especially in this industry.

Steve Roark
August 23rd, 2005, 06:56 AM
Straight out of the box, I'd estimate that the Leica will give a better image than the stock Fujinon (especially if the reports out of Australia are any indication). It also offers AF if you need it.

When JVC introduced the DV500, it came with a 'free' bayonet lens. It was inferior to my GL1's built-in lens in every way. I replaced it with a better 1/2" lens, but my understanding is the next lens up for the HD100 starts at $7000.

When the XL1 came out, everyone talked about detachable lenses like they were sliced bread. I've seen dozens being used around the world, everyone had a stock lens. I know some people use the wide lens, but they must be in the minority. I think most people looking at a $5000 camera are not in the position to pay twice as much for a lens.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what happens when the HD100 reaches the U.S. market. If those units have purple fringing, then I'll pass on the HD100 because I'm not in the market for a $12,000 HDV camera when I can get a $10000 DVCPro50/HD camera.

Stephen Barries
August 23rd, 2005, 09:01 AM
Thanis Chris, your thoughts were apprecioated and make sense.

Kenn Christenson
August 23rd, 2005, 09:05 AM
anamorphic for super-wide 2.35 recording,

I'd sure like to see an anamorphic adapter for this camera. Unfortunately, everything I've heard from companies like Century Optics is that the 82mm front is going to be a major obstacle. Manufacturing anamorphic glass to cover such a large area and carry the resolution, to boot, seems like a very difficult (read expensive) task. (It would be cool, though!)