View Full Version : Anyone give Data DVD with HD footage?

Patrick Janka
July 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
It's a shame that we shoot in HD and deliver on DVD. Most people don't have Blu-Ray players, either. Do any of you in addition to a DVD send the couple a data disc with rendered HD versions (.mp4, .mov, etc.) of the video along with the SD DVD's to watch on their PC?

Chris Harding
July 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hi Patrick

I'm thinking about offering it as an optional extra!! Probably you might find that all the footage in say 1280x720 in MP4 would be a little too much for a 4.7GB DVD?? I was thinking either a USB stick or charge them for a portable media player and supply that with the preloaded footage.

With a media player they can watch it on their TV as well in HD without a BD player....BD players over on your side of the pond are cheap!! We are still paying $300 +++ but a WalMart one would probably be as cheap as a media player so why not throw in a player and put the wedding on BluRay ???

Chris

Eric Olson
July 22nd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Strangely enough a data DVD with quarter D1 resolution mpeg4 files for use in ipods, mp4 players and smart phones would probably be more appreciated.

Patrick Janka
July 23rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Probably you might find that all the footage in say 1280x720 in MP4 would be a little too much for a 4.7GB DVD??

Chris

Not at all. I just put a 50 minute wedding and 10 minute engagement video in 1920x1080 .mp4's on a data DVD no problem. Just play with the settings until you get it to about 4.7GB.

James Strange
July 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I offer digitsl copies on usb, no as popular as bluray, but a nice option.

I get Silver 'our wedding day' sticks, dearer than generic, but they look great

Michael Clark
July 25th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I've been giving data DVDs as part of each package for probably two years. It costs me a couple bucks, and with dual layer discs I can fit high quality 1080p mp4 footage on there no problem. I've been told by a number of brides that this included service was why they chose me over another videographer.

Buba Kastorski
July 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I am not putting footage on DVDs, but all footage from all cameras in original format is 'included' with every package I offer, it IS a good selling point, and yes, for some clients it is important, all they need is to provide an external hard disk