View Full Version : What program are you using to burn your DVD's?

Kevin Lewis
July 22nd, 2011, 11:56 PM
For those that use a different program other then their nle to burn the final product to dvd, what are you using? Also, does anyone have experience with Nero for this?

Chris Harding
July 23rd, 2011, 12:42 AM
Hi Kevin

I assume you mean Nero??? I actually render the MPEG2 files in Sony Vegas 9 but do the authoring in DVD Lab mainly because I really like the interface and graphics available! I could burn directly from DVD Lab too but I have got used to just using DVD Lab to compile the DVD and then still use Nero to burn...probably a silly move but that's what I do. Sadly DVD Lab never went the BluRay route..it only does DVD's but it's a really nice package to work with and also interfaces with RealDraw (from the same company called Mediachance)

Chris

Garrett Low
July 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
I cut in Sony Vegas 9, author the DVD and create an image in Sony DVD Architect, then burn with Imageburn. I like authoring in DVDA because it allows me to pull in Photoshop files to use in my menus. So I create all my menus and buttons in Photoshop, then just pull them into DVDA along with the mpeg2 and AC3 file I created in Vegas.

Using Imageburn I find I have the least number of coasters and it's free. Also does a great job of burning dual layer discs for those rare occasions when I have to.

-Garrett

Kevin Lewis
July 23rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Chris, thanks for the correct spelling. Chris and Garret, is there any benefit to burning an mpeg file instead of creating and burning a video ts file?

Christopher Lefchik
July 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
If you use your DVD authoring program to output a folder with your DVD structure/files, then it is safer to avoid Nero for burning the DVD from those files due to possible DVD compliance issues. For details see FAQ: Burning with ImgBurn vs Nero - which is better? - Digital Video Forums (http://forum.digital-digest.com/f57/faq-burning-imgburn-vs-nero-better-45025.html)

My workflow normally involves authoring the DVD in Adobe Encore, then saving a DVD image file (in this case, an .iso file; an .img file would be similar) to hard drive. I then use the freeware program ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) to burn the image file to DVD discs.

Having an ISO/IMG file means you don't need to use your DVD authoring program every time you want to burn a DVD. Plus an ISO/IMG file of the authored DVD is very handy for archiving purposes.

I do have Nero, which shouldn't have an issue burning ISO/IMG files, but see no need to use it for that purpose when the excellent, lightweight ImgBurn works so well.

Anyone who would like to try out the free ImgBurn program can download it here: The Official ImgBurn Website (http://www.imgburn.com/)

Christopher Lefchik
July 23rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Chris, thanks for the correct spelling. Chris and Garret, is there any benefit to burning an mpeg file instead of creating and burning a video ts file?
If you are talking about the VIDEO_TS files on the DVD, your DVD authoring program will create these automatically as part of the DVD-Video structure (and in any case, the main video files on the disc will be contained in VTS_xx_x.VOB files).

If you are talking about the MPEG-2 transport stream (TS) format, those are a completely different type of MPEG-2 file intended for applications like broadcasting. DVD-Video uses the MPEG-2 program stream (PS) format.

Sareesh Sudhakaran
July 26th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I use Adobe Encore and stay primarily within the CS system. Never had a problem.