View Full Version : UWOL #21 Theme Announcement...Go Wild!

Meryem Ersoz
August 1st, 2011, 07:45 AM
There's nothing fancy to this round's theme. After months of working intensively with humans on a feature film project, I'm ready to bask in the animal realms with you all. There is something restorative about spending a little time with the planets' other living things.

Let's hang out with the BIRDS, FISH, REPTILES, AND AMPHIBIANS, shall we?

That's your theme. Go play among the flying ones, the cold-blooded, the scaly, and the water-born.

Simultaneous with the contest, we'll be overhauling the rules to make the contest easier for you and for its new leader (yes, someone stepped up...more on that later). So check into the forum periodically for info on compression, uploading, and notes on the future of the contest.

Your deadline for submitting your entry is: Deadline is August 22, midnight anywhere in the world.

Kevin Railsback
August 1st, 2011, 07:58 AM
Mmmm, am wondering how to do a film on this theme that doesn't have any birds, reptiles or amphibians in it? Oh wait, I did already "Silent Kingdom"
Better wait at least a day before I jump into the shark tank. :)

Meryem Ersoz
August 1st, 2011, 08:04 AM
oh Railsback, don't be such a big baby - go find a raptor rescue or something near you and offer your prodigious services in service to saving a big bird or two.

you can save something besides puppies once in a while, y'know....

my regards to Spaggy May - she looks happy...

Trond Saetre
August 1st, 2011, 08:15 AM
Mr Railsback, I do not like to hear about the shark tank this early in the contest. ;)

Nice theme!
Let the fun begin, wohoo!

Kevin Railsback
August 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
I'm in Iowa Meryem. People always figure you're scamming them somehow or you're going to profit off them and they're going to miss out.
I've tried working with the Raptor Rehab center south of me before.

Heck, I'm still waiting for the shelter board to approve a video I did. They're all worried that it'll show their dogs in a bad light so I did a happy film and they're still debating it.

I can do a bird feeder film I guess.
I've seen three reptiles in Iowa since 1976. I've been a bit more lucky with frogs. About three or four of them and some pollywogs. I've filmed some dead fish and got lucky once and filmed some suckers in a creek. Yeah, Iowa ain't Colorado! :)

Trond Saetre
August 1st, 2011, 08:19 AM
At least you have seen reptiles in your area.
Go for it, Kevin! I know you can come up with something great as always.
You are a skilled film maker!

Mike Sims
August 1st, 2011, 09:01 AM
Interesting. By omitting the Mammalia you have made the theme subtly more difficult than apparent on first glance. Hmmm…

Roger Rosales
August 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Very cool theme...what about Cats? I have a pretty interesting idea but it doesn't fall into any of the listed species mentioned...however, they are a part of the "animal realm"...

EDIT: Nevermind! Just as I thought...Mike pretty much answered my question. Indeed a little more difficult.

Simon Wood
August 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
I might be interested in doing this for the first time. Let me get it straight though; do you need to make a piece about all of the above, or can you pick and mix (or just choose one of the categories)?

Meryem Ersoz
August 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
We ran a mammals theme once already...surprisingly, however, four years have passed without a bird-specific theme - not that it has stopped Dale!

birds are hard to shoot - it's a worthy challenge.

Kevin Railsback
August 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Hard to believe that four years have even passed!

Meryem Ersoz
August 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Hi Simon - welcome to UWOL - but you need to sign up to play - sign up thread is here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge-our-newest-contest/498807-uwol-21-sign-up-thread-get-out-there-shoot-something-2.html

I'll give you and anyone else 15 minutes to go sign up and then I'm locking the thread - I should have locked it this morning, but I was being lazy.

You interpret the theme any way you like - that is part of the fun, seeing how everyone interprets the theme.

But your film is judged in large part by how it fits the theme....so don't stray too far.

Simon Wood
August 1st, 2011, 01:54 PM
Did it!

I'll take care of the Ugandan critter scene. I look forward to seeing what comes up from everyone else.

Meryem Ersoz
August 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM
Uganda! That's a first for UWOL - very cool. I think our only African country represented so far has been South Africa, ably represented by Marj - it will be fun to see some shots from another region of that enormous land.

Rob Evans
August 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM
Very cool - found a reptile colony 300 yards from my house only yesterday!
Good luck all!

Victor Wilcox
August 1st, 2011, 03:26 PM
I sure I can find those critters around here somewhere.

My new Manfrotto sticks get here on Thursday, so I'm eager to do some panning.

Don't want to be in the shark tank this time.

http://www.wilcoxvideoproductions.com/videos/sharktank.png

Roger Rosales
August 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
I will say that certain peoples geographic location poses a serious advantage to most...and makes me excited to see what comes forth from those individuals! Very cool.

Dale Guthormsen
August 1st, 2011, 08:54 PM
Well,

I am so busy I have not even had the sail boat out this summer, Deaf Camp is 8th to the 17th! Probably will not get to that for the first time in years!!

BUT, how could I possibly pass up a chance to shoot my favorite subject, Birds, specifically Raptors!!!

I will start Raptor hunting early every morning and late evening the next few weeks. I have a couple ideas for themes.

I also have a youngster that is taking all my time I could film!!!

Now if I can just keep my enthusiasm up for a three week run!!

Kevin, there is always something in the air out there!!! I have never seen a Lizard here in 35 years here!! Go on a trek to New Mexico!!! Look for chuka Wallas perhaps!! LOL

Meryem, A workover is timely and I am looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!! I hope you jump in on this one yourself!!

Geir Inge
August 2nd, 2011, 02:59 AM
Exciting theme Meryem, as always :)
I wonder this time, will it be Crete or Norway, fish or birds - or maybe a little bit of - who knows?
It's good to have global friends these days.
Good luck to all of you great uwolers, may the force be with you.

Marj Atkins
August 2nd, 2011, 03:15 AM
Did it!

I'll take care of the Ugandan critter scene. I look forward to seeing what comes up from everyone else.

This is really exciting - really look forward to seeing your film!!

Kevin - your second trip to Africa is WAY overdue! Just think now . . KNP is wall to wall birds, reptiles and amphibians. :)

Kevin McRoberts
August 3rd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Would it be mildly silly to set up a blind beside my chicken coop?

Lorinda Norton
August 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Big news, players! Talking it over with Meryem we decided that, in order to give us more time to implement the transition of the UWOL Challenge we're extending the deadline for UWOL 21.

That's right--you now have the entire month to complete your entry!

Deadline for submissions will be August 31, 2011, midnight anywhere in the world.

So, if you are almost finished you can either relax or spend that extra time you always wish you had to make it perfect. If you haven't started yet, no excuses--get out there and shoot something! :)

Trond Saetre
August 7th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Sounds like a good plan to spend more time for the reorganizing of the rules.
Maybe a full month will give more players a chance to complete too. :)