View Full Version : Need some help please...

Frank Catscottage
August 5th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I bought a new iMac and am trying to work with iMovie on it (like I did on my previous iMac).

As per Tim Dashwood's instruction I downloaded the PerianXDcam.component and put it in the Quicktime file in the library.
Unlike on my old iMac I am not able to import the .mov files in iMovie on my new iMac i7.

My new iMac is running with Lion, could that be the reason why the files are not readable?

Can anybody help me out here?

The second question I would have is the following;

Is there anybody on this forum who has already experience with the new Final Cut Pro X handling .mov files from the GY HM100?

Thanks in advance for your info,

Frank

Gunther Reuter
August 6th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Hi,

After all what I heared, there is no problem to work natively on the original files of the HM 100 in FCPX, if you recorded in .mov.

Therfore I dont understannd your problem in I Movie ??? It should work very well...

Jordan Hooper
August 6th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I think that if you're using iMovie you have to find the XDCAM-EX plugin for Quicktime on the net somewhere. It does come with FCP but not with iMovie, I think. I know it's a free plugin though. These camcorders write to card in that codec, even though it's .mov or .mp4.

Maybe someone else will confirm this or offer better info because I'm not totally sure about it.

John Lotterer
August 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM
if you did not set your cam for mac you can use this http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm100-camcorder/497534-mov-mp4.html

Chris Hsiung
August 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I bought a new iMac and am trying to work with iMovie on it (like I did on my previous iMac).

As per Tim Dashwood's instruction I downloaded the PerianXDcam.component and put it in the Quicktime file in the library.
Unlike on my old iMac I am not able to import the .mov files in iMovie on my new iMac i7.

My new iMac is running with Lion, could that be the reason why the files are not readable?

Can anybody help me out here?

The second question I would have is the following;

Is there anybody on this forum who has already experience with the new Final Cut Pro X handling .mov files from the GY HM100?

Thanks in advance for your info,

Frank

I have the same camera and the .mov files import seamlessly into Final Cut X. I simply import and I am able to edit right away.

With regards to using iMovie, I haven't tried, but I use to use Final Cut Express and I had to download Perian but for playing MPEG2. The XDCAM version by itself was not enough. MPEG2 for Perian is not an official codec though. You'll have to search for it as icant remember where I found it.

Chris

Frank Catscottage
August 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Thank you all for your answers!

I decided to purchase FCP X and after installation iMovie is working now flawlessly too!

Probably FCP X came with the right codec to be used with iMovie also.

So now I can work with iMovie and iMovie Pro, without any problem ;-))

Thanks again!