View Full Version : spring-loaded monopods for run and gun with the NX5U?

John Vasey
September 3rd, 2011, 01:31 PM
I sometimes need to get the kind of shots for in the field shooting where I go from standing erect to kneeling down for low angles, etc. and in some of these cases (especially for shots of longer duration), a monopod that would be spring-loaded might be desirable. Perhaps even preferable to a shoulder mount or other kinds of stabilization.

In other words, with one hand on the NX5U and another on the pistol grip of the springloaded monopod, you could instantly adjust the height of the monopod (ON THE FLY) up or down -- and lock in the new height...without detaching the camera/putting it down...and without taking the time to manually readjust every section of the monopod.

Has anyone had experience with these type of SPRING LOADED monopods along with a particular product to recommend? Would also be looking for a fluid head to use with it...though perhaps the Sachtler FSB4 head (that I use with my regular Gitzo tripod) may be a little to cumbersome for this kind of run and gun style shooting. Might have to think of smaller lighter alternatives.

So any thoughts to share on this spring-loaded monopod topic would be appreciated. I will also look at shoulder mounts and other rigs later down the road to complement a monopod as part of my shooting accessories.

Thanks, John