View Full Version : IBC & AJA KiPro products

Marc Colemont
September 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Will there be new firmware shown at IBC for the AJA KI Pro?

First of all, I really enjoy using both the AKA Ki Pro's & mini.
While using them for about 2 years now I have some features to request.
Many of them when I talked to support guys and people on IBC / NAB they say it's in the works / possible.
Here are my lists again:

My Top 3 feature-list for Ki Pro:
1- Keep recording even while signal gets lost. A must for ISO recording!
2- Activate the FireWire800 to be able to quickly copy footage without removing the AJA disks.
3- Fix the SMPTE out for 720p50 playback. The time-code in that format is unreadable by any other equipment. Even another AJA can't read that signal.

My Top 3 feature-list for KiPro Mini:
1- Auto switch between two cards while recording.
2- Audible beeps (in the Headphone output) when the Starts & Stops recording, memory cards are getting full and when a auto power-down happens. I did loose a lot of footage not having this in run-and-gun situations...
3- Option for on-screen HDMI/SDI data. To see when it is recording, how much storage is left etc... on the external reference monitor

Last but not least, a huge request for both the AJA products, if you could find a way to 'close' the recorded file while booting up again after a power failure. The JVC HD camera's do this automatically for example.
Now these files are just lost. Pretty scary in the digital world. On the old tape technology, only the last frame was lost in the past.

Thanks for looking into this.
Awaiting for some great new firmware!

Jon Thorn
September 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Marc Colemont wrote:
"Will there be new firmware shown at IBC for the AJA KI Pro?"

Yes, we are previewing the forthcoming 3.0 firmware update for Ki Pro and Ki Pro Mini here at IBC 2011.

I will list some of the features in another post.

Marc asked for the following items:
- Keep recording even while signal gets lost. A must for ISO recording!

3.0 firmware adds a menu selection called "Loss of Video" where the user can elect to continue recording even though the source video signal has been lost. When no valid input video is detected in this state, color bars and a "Loss of Video" title appear in the recording; if the signal returns, the video and audio are recorded again.

- Activate the FireWire800 to be able to quickly copy footage without removing the AJA disks.

3.0 firmware enables the FireWire 800 port on the back of the Ki Pro so that users can perform media transfers from the device without having to remove the Ki Pro Storage Module and connect it to the computer.

- Fix the SMPTE out for 720p50 playback. The time-code in that format is unreadable by any other equipment. Even another AJA can't read that signal.

The Ki Pro counts 720p 50 with 50fps value (as a Panasonic VTR might be configured to do.) You should be able to set the 9 Pin Remote to Remote Only mode and the timecode should be output as 25fps value. If you need assistance, please contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email.

- Option for on-screen HDMI/SDI data. To see when it is recording, how much storage is left etc... on the external reference monitor

3.0 firmware enables a Super Out feature for SDI. This superimposed output shows the transport state of the media (recording, playback) as well as the timecode value.

More info on the upcoming 3.0 firmware release to follow.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Currently in Amsterdam at IBC

Ed David
September 10th, 2011, 08:26 AM
these are very excellent features - thank you!

Steve Cocklin
September 11th, 2011, 05:42 AM
This is great news, with the addition of DNxHD will the cards still be formatted HFS+ ? Thanks Jon

Jon Thorn
September 11th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Steve C. - We will provide more information about the DNxHD support soon.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Currently in Amsterdam at IBC

Marc Colemont
September 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Great great news. Can't wait :-)

Marc Colemont
October 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Hopefully the release is within a few weeks as I have a big gig coming up october 31.
Any news for this release?

Jon Thorn
October 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Marc C. - Yes, we are actively working on the 3.0 firmware release. We demoed a feature rich beta at the IBC tradeshow this past month. Our goal is to release this new firmware by the end of October. Having said that, with any AJA release, we only make it public when we feel that it will meet customer expectations.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Marc Colemont
October 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info.
Highly appreciated.

Steve Cocklin
October 31st, 2011, 09:40 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows the latest on the 3.0 software upgrade for the Ki Pro Mini?

Jon Thorn
October 31st, 2011, 03:00 PM
Steve C. - As stated earlier in the thread, 3.0 firmware development is progressing, and while we hoped it would be released by the end of October, it looks like it will be a few more weeks. At AJA we prefer to test thoroughly before we release, I know people are eager to receive this free update as it provides new features that users, like yourself, have been requesting. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Ed David
November 2nd, 2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks Jon! Excited for this update. One other thing I thought of that I'm sure is addressed before - but would there be a way on the device to show how many volts are coming into the Ki Pro Mini - and show you how much you need to keep it running - i.e. to warn you that you're about at half battery - etc etc.

because when I use it all of a sudden I have the "low power warning" and then the thing powers down without much notice

ed

Steve Cocklin
November 3rd, 2011, 06:22 AM
Hi Ed, I just finished doing a small test measuring voltage on my rig as it was running. I have an F3, Ki Pro Mini and a DP4 EVF which in total draws about 45W. I ran the rig with a digital volt meter monitoring the output from one of the ports on my Anton Bauer multi tap. If you have an F3 that camera has a voltage read out on the built-in monitor display that I found to correspond very closely to my DVM. With a BP90 after two hours of running everything running the Ki Pro stopped running at 12.67 volts, I then set up my voltage warning on the F3 to go off when the battery voltage reached 13 volts. I'm not saying this is your problem but a bad cell in a battery will cause the battery's voltage to drop off quickly when a certain voltage is reached.

Joe Lawry
November 8th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Any more details on the 3.0 release?

Adding audio beeps on the headphone out when recording starts & stops on the kipro mini would make my life so much easier.

Jon Thorn
November 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Joe L. - Sorry, audio beeps on the headphone output are not a feature of the upcoming v3.0 firmware.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Shaggy Franks
November 12th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I have seen some of the products I can't wait until I get my hands on the Control Room! :)

Joe Lawry
November 30th, 2011, 07:42 PM
How's that firmware update coming along?