View Full Version : Something big for small cameras coming from Sachtler?

Mike Beckett
September 6th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Looks like our friends in Germany are gearing up to an interesting new tripod system for smaller cameras, to be launched at IBC next week!

"Grand entrance
for a completely new tripod system —
best-in-class for smaller cameras.

Visit Sachtler in Hall 11, booth D61 and experience the new tripod and fluid head system live in action whilst acrobatic performances will symbolize the features that set the new system apart; perfect balance, smooth movement and absolute professionalism — and this at an astonishing price/performance ratio.

(I picked out the two most interesting points in bold).

Could this be a Vinten Vision Blue competitor....? We may soon be spoiled for choice!

Chris Soucy
September 6th, 2011, 08:03 PM
OR, could it be a VB with a Sachtler drop/ side load head plate and a few livery changes?

That "perfect balance" I've seen before, funnily enough, when they released the VB.

Shall be interesting to see what transpires.

CS

PS: Just asked Barbara at Sachtler for a review unit, keep your fingers crossed!

(And no, I had no idea. Suspicions, yes, facts, no)

Mike Beckett
September 7th, 2011, 01:51 AM
The best thing (for me) about the VB bundle isn't just the head, it's the amazing set of rock-solid legs that come with the kit.

It will be interesting to see Sachtler's take on this, as (in my opinion) a lot of their lower-end legs are a bit less stable than the good ol' Pozilocs.

Not long to wait to find out...

Chris Soucy
September 7th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Good point, Mike, and very valid.

Never having tried a decent set of Sachtlers (the 75 CF SpeedLocks I have here don't come within a bulls roar of "decent", so I can't say) so I'm all agog as to what they're going to pull out of the hat.

Hopefully Barbara will come through with a review set for me, then we'll all know.

Fingers crossed - though I really am annoyed she didn't front up a month or so ago, would have had the review available for the release. Bugger. (No stress there Barbara, just get 'em couriered and I'll do my best!)

Watch this space!

CS

Barbara Jaumann
September 7th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Hello,

I can confirm that Sachtler has developed a brand new head for low weight cameras. Anything else is a secret until Friday when we will launch it at IBC. Take a look at our website on Friday! I also can give you more details then.

Best regards

Barbara

Chris Soucy
September 8th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Update:

I have just had it promised that one of the new Sachtler pre production systems will be winging it in my direction for review sometime after the release on Friday.

Incredibly good news, as I really didn't want to review the system I have here already and the new one sounds like it might be more in the ball park for the other systems already reviewed for the:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/486338-vinten-sachtler-libec-miller-manfrotto-shootout.html

to be found elsewhere in this Forum.

Thus, DVinfo gets it's very own, totally independent, no money changes hands reviews of the new system.

Phew, thought I was gonna miss out on that one.

Thanks, Mike, for giving me the heads up, though I did know they were up to something, it all went too quiet, which is always a sign of intense activity around a new product.

Interestingly, the Vinten camp have been equally quiet, though that could be just sheer fatigue due to VB overload.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode.

Who says this stuff is boring?

CS

Sabyasachi Patra
September 8th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Hello,

I can confirm that Sachtler has developed a brand new head for low weight cameras. Anything else is a secret until Friday when we will launch it at IBC. Take a look at our website on Friday! I also can give you more details then.

Best regards

Barbara

I am sure it would be great. Am happy with my Sachtler tripod. May be in future I might need a light weight version for the B camera. Look forward to hearing the details.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mike Beckett
September 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Chris,

How on earth do you manage to part with all this lovely gear that the Vitec Empire sends to you for review?

I often think they are very brave to send such tempting toys to people and expect them to ever want to send them back!

On a serious note, I think it is fantastic that what I consider to be the two biggest names in tripods to be taking the small cameras seriously now. I could only have dreamed of having suitable Vintens and Sachtlers three or four years ago.

Chris Soucy
September 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Chris,

How on earth do you manage to part with all this lovely gear that the Vitec Empire sends to you for review?

Er, hmmm, a quick audit would appear to indicate that, uh ha, I never actually have (yet).

(We'll leave out the Manfrotto offering, as "lovely gear" isn't really a suitable description. It's departure was not mourned.)

Whether that run of luck will continue with the new Sachtler, well, we'll see.

Looking forward to it, sounds like an interesting piece of kit.

CS

Mike Beckett
September 9th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Press release here:

Sachtler Ace tripod system: Broadcast feel for smaller cameras (http://www.sachtler.com/en/ace.html)

The Sachtler Ace. There's some links and reviews in that page as well:

Sachtler User Report: Phil Arntz shoots with the new Ace tripod system. (http://www.sachtler.com/en/test-reports/phil-arntz-ace.html)

Video Review: SACHTLER Ace - new ultra affordable fluid tripod on Vimeo

Funnily enough, for me, they use a Sony NX70 in their promo shot!

Mike Beckett
September 9th, 2011, 03:05 AM
A certain Mr Bloom reviews the new tripod as well:

IBC 2011: Review of the new Sachtler ACE tripod for DSLRs | Philip Bloom (http://philipbloom.net/2011/09/09/ace/)

Pietro Impagliazzo
September 12th, 2011, 06:13 AM
A true fluid, not friction BS, head and stick for the price of a 503HDV kit is pretty cool.

I was also unware that Sachtler had released the Cine DSLR head.

So in the affordable but good range we have the Ace, the Cine DSLR and the Vinten Blue. But the low price of the Ace coupled with the great quality is very nice for those of us that pay heavier import taxes.

Quoting from another thread:

I sold my Sachtler, thinking that I didn't need it for a tiny camera, and bought a Manfrotto 501HDV. What a mistake.. I think of all the shots that I ruined with that Manfrotto, and all the beautiful shots I have got with the Vinten. At full telephoto, I can easily track (say) a moving train in a pan shot lasting over a minute, with no problems. The Sachtler was almost as good. I just find it impossible with the Manfrotto, and I shouldn't have to resort to carrying elastic bands with me to try to get a decent pan!

That's exactly what I dislike about my Manfrotto. For cine usage you really need smooth and seamless movements and the 501HDV just doesn't deliver this. Mine grew smoother over the years but still underperforms according to my needs.

Jon Onstot
October 15th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Dang. The Ace is announced a month after I buy an FSB4. Oh well...

Konrad Haskins
December 3rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
Great job creating buzz but it seems watching and reading reviews that the shipping date is a moving target. Ranging from October 2011 in reviews to B&H saying January and Adorama saying they have no idea. I have an entry level Manfrotto tripod bough used and and I'm very ready for something like this. But I'm ready for it now.

Konrad Haskins
December 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Barbara saw my post and filled me in on what's happening.

Stephen Sobel
January 2nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
Now if they will come out with a carbon fiber version......

Bruce Watson
January 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Now if they will come out with a carbon fiber version......

Yes. I'd be interested in that as well. For some of what I want to do, weight matters. I'd be very interested in an carbon-fiber Ace.

Konrad Haskins
February 17th, 2012, 10:01 AM
The waiting was getting to me so I checked and B&H had it in stock so I ordered it. Scratched my head wondering where my in stock notification was. The in stock notification arrived after B&H had shipped mine to me???

Saw on another ace thread questions about the legs based on Philip Blooms review. Here is what he said in context "The sticks themselves are very good but not the greatest in the world, nor should they be at that price." For the money I'm happy. The head has a small eye for hanging up to 10kg which has always been a best practice for this type of tripod. The mid level spread can also benefit from a little 1kg or less of weight in some situations.

No big surprise it's smooth. As Philip Bloom says and I agree there is a jump between the resistance settings and less of a jump would be nice. But for the price I have no complaints and it's a huge improvement from my old Bogen. Nice moderately padded carry bag included. No doubt you can find better for more money but I think this is the quality leader at its price point.

Zexun Tan
February 23rd, 2012, 04:55 AM
Tried the mid level spreader system today. The head was smooth like all sachtlers. The legs... well... the above post says it all. Good for the money - meaning compromises are made, and for good reason. Very lightweight setup.