View Full Version : Vegas Pro 11 is Coming Soon

Mike Kujbida
September 9th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Vegas Pro 11 Coming Soon (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro11)

The Vegas Pro 11 collection combines the power of Vegas Pro with the elegance of DVD Architect to provide a dynamic and efficient environment for video and broadcast professionals. With extensive format support, unmatched effects processing, superior audio support, and a complete array of editing tools, Vegas Pro 11 gives you the creative freedom you need to produce projects with outstanding results.

Announced on Sept 9, 2011 at IBC, Vegas Pro 11 will be available in fall 2011 and offer exciting new features and more efficient workflows.

Chris Hurd
September 9th, 2011, 08:39 AM
If there's one thing I don't like to see on DV Info Net, it's a post like
this, with no substance, no content whatsoever except a link taking
our readers off site. If there's a press release, we'll publish it in our
News section (http://www.dvinfo.net/news/). But I just had a quick look around and can't find one.

Meanwhile, if you're going to post on DV Info Net, at least have
something to say. Thanks in advance,

Chris Hurd
September 9th, 2011, 08:46 AM
An example of the right way to do this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/500493-jvc-unveils-new-gy-hm150-prohd-handheld-camcorder.html

Short excerpt from press release, followed by link to full press
release. Product photo thrown in for good measure. A bare link
by itself is *not* content.

Mike Kujbida
September 9th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Sorry Chris.
I promise it won''t happen again.
I added a brief description to my original post.

Chris Hurd
September 9th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Much appreciated -- thanks Mike!

Magnus Helander
September 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM
A wild guess is that we will have GPU accelerated editing with Pro 11 (possibly only with new nVidia VideoDirect hardware)

Check Out NVIDIA GPUDirect for Video and More at IBC 2011 (http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/09/check-out-nvidia-gpudirect-for-video-and-more-at-ibc-2011/?utm_content=sf2157955&utm_medium=spredfast&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=Corporate&sf2157955=1)

Mentions "Vegas Pro".....anyone at IBC can confirm this?
Does it work with standard nVidia.cards or do we have to get new ones?
/m

Matthew Amirkhani
September 9th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Mike,

That is great news !! Do you think that Genarts and Boris FX are going to offer special Promotions to the Vegas users?

Adam Stanislav
September 9th, 2011, 12:44 PM
A wild guess is that we will have GPU accelerated editing with Pro 11 using nVidia VideoDirect hardware

Hmm... That means we all will have to replace our existing nVidia cards. I clicked on that link and it is not for software developers but for hardware developers who want to incorporate it into their designs.

In other words, it is not supported by our current video cards.

Interestingly, though, CUDA 4 released in May already allows software developers to act as if CUDA hardware could access the system memory directly. This new release suggests that this will only help with the new hardware. :(

But it is progress, nonetheless.

Floris van Eck
September 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Chris,

Vegas Pro 11 Coming Soon (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro11)

The official site is live.

Seth Bloombaum
September 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Hmm... That means we all will have to replace our existing nVidia cards.. Maybe not. The official Sony announcement only says new support for nVidia and AMD... I can hope that's to existing hardware. We'll see.

David Jimerson
September 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM
EDLs?

Op-ATOM MXFs?

DVCPRO HD?

These are my eternal questions.

Adam Stanislav
September 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Maybe not. The official Sony announcement only says new support for nVidia and AMD... I can hope that's to existing hardware. We'll see.

I was referring to the nVidia announcement about GPUDirect for Video, not to the Sony Vegas announcement.

Yes, any GPU software support from Vegas should work with existing hardware. But to achieve the additional speed increase offered by GPUDirect for Video we will need new video cards, not just new drivers (which already exist). Not only that, we will have to make sure whatever new nVidia card we get we will have to make sure it includes the new extensions since nVidia offers it as an option to hardware manufacturers, so not all new cards will necessarily support it (though I suspect they all will likely jump on the bandwagon).

Of course, I would like to see some independent tests showing what kind of speed increase this new hardware option will bring. I hope it is considerable.

Mervin Langley
September 9th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I wasted money on Vegas 10. It still does not work properly with Cineform so I am stuck using Vegas 9e. Why would I bother wasting more money?

Brian Drysdale
September 10th, 2011, 01:12 AM
If your old software does what you need why buy the very latest version? You might be be better upgrading every other version or waiting until you need to use features on the new version, otherwise you could be just spending money on something that you're using exactly the same as your current version.

Marc Salvatore
September 10th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Mervin,

I am really dissapointed with Vegas' lack of proper Cineform support as well especially after they touted better Cineform support in Vegas 10. I am unable to render out Cineform files from Vegas and bring them into Adobe products without the black levels jumping 7.5 IRE. Other bugs happening as well. I filed a ticket two weeks ago and still no reply. The last Cineform bug took them 1.5 years to fix and constant baggering. Cineform has never been a priority for them. We got 3d though :(.

Marcus Martell
September 10th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Guys i read red giant...Doess this mean that sony and RG are once again "friends"?

Jason Bodnar
September 10th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Red Giant will be supporting Vegas again very soon!!! Just spoke with them and confirmed this as Sony even makes note of Red Giant plug in support in the Vegas 11 anouncement... this may lead to many more Red Giant plug ins working with Vegas now as well. Anyways good news so far.....now lets hope Vegas 11 is ready for launch next month.

Richard Green
September 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Hi All,
Would be good if Sony would fix version 10 before releasing another new version.
What with "vegas has stopped working" messages and various annoying bugs, I certainly won't
be buying another new version which doesn't work as advertised.

Richard

Craig Kovatch
September 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hello.

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade an upgrade? I started with 9 and upgraded to 10. Any idea if it's possible to upgrade to 11?

Thanks

Craig.

Justin Deming
September 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
To jump, or not to jump? I just finished shooting footage for a 10 minute short film (we wrapped ast night). I have files in AVDHD, and Prores. I'm currently using Vegas 8.0c. I can drop the AVCHD files into the timeline, but not the Prores. From what I am reading, version 10 will work with prores, thus the question.

Do I buy an upgrade to 10 now, or wait for 11? It could be a month or more, then will version 11 be stable upon release? I can afford to wait a little before beginning editing, but can I actualy restrain myself until the release of the new version?

The other question is that of price. Currently I can upgrade to version 10 for $239. Does anyone have a good guess what the upgrade price wil be for 11?

Thomas Smet
September 10th, 2011, 06:04 PM
For those of you who think you need a brand new monster video card for gpu performance that is not always true.

Take a look at the old Pinnacle Liquid. This was a 6 year old NLE that could do amazing things with every day AMD video cards. Developers have got kind of lazy with gpu development thinking they need a special language in order to do so. Pinnacle however could treat the gpu almost as a extra cpu. It handled all image processing and could edit 3 layers of HDV with 3D effects in Realtime on a core 2 duo system. When it came to the gpu support it didn't really make a difference if you had a $60.00 off the shelf video card or a $300.00 video card. You may have been able to get an extra layer of HD or so but most of the power came from just having a gpu period.

Adobe is sort of the same way. There have been benchmark tests that have shown that performance wise there has been little advantage between the lowest supported Mercury card and the top of the line card other then perhaps a few extra layers of RT performance. When it comes to the cuda support Adobe seems to either have it or they don't. Adobe also only handles scaling and image processing in the gpu. The decoding of frames and the encoding of frames still gets handled by the cpu. So the gpu can only process frames as fast as it can get them from the cpu, storage and memory. So basically once a moderate gpu already helps the system feed frames as fast as the rest of the system can do the rest of what is going on under the hood isn't going to allow a better gpu to go any faster.

Hopefully Vegas will be the same way. You either get to offload some stuff to the gpu or you don't. Of course I don't know for sure but I don't think you are going to notice a huge difference between a low end card and a monster card with Vegas. GPU utilization just isn't very optimized now. The piggy backing of the gpu seems to either help or not help and there doesn't seem to be much area in between.

Seth Bloombaum
September 10th, 2011, 06:17 PM
To jump, or not to jump? I just finished shooting footage for a 10 minute short film (we wrapped ast night). I have files in AVDHD, and Prores. I'm currently using Vegas 8.0c. I can drop the AVCHD files into the timeline, but not the Prores. From what I am reading, version 10 will work with prores, thus the question.

Do I buy an upgrade to 10 now, or wait for 11? It could be a month or more, then will version 11 be stable upon release? I can afford to wait a little before beginning editing, but can I actualy restrain myself until the release of the new version?

The other question is that of price. Currently I can upgrade to version 10 for $239. Does anyone have a good guess what the upgrade price wil be for 11?
Recommend you wait. If you've registered Vegas8, and have an account at sonycreativesoftware.com, you should receive a limited time upgrade offer for v11. This has been $149 for the last few versions, this price good for about a month. Of course Sony may decide to do something different.

V10 is much more AVCHD friendly, though... you could go with a 30-day trial version of V10? But don't get yourself stuck, as V8 won't open V10 files, but, V11 should.

As I understand things, it's not that V10 was made ProRes compatible, it's that Apple added a ProRes decoder to QT for Windows. So, if that's right, I'm thinking that you should upgrade to latest QT and see if ProRes is working in Vegas. OTOH, you might want a system restore point set before this upgrade, in case V8 isn't compatible with latest QT for Windows.

Mike Kujbida
September 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM
As I understand things, it's not that V10 was made ProRes compatible, it's that Apple added a ProRes decoder to QT for Windows. So, if that's right, I'm thinking that you should upgrade to latest QT and see if ProRes is working in Vegas. OTOH, you might want a system restore point set before this upgrade, in case V8 isn't compatible with latest QT for Windows.

Pro 8 won't handle QuickTime newer than 7.6.2 and I'm not sure if that version had ProRes support or not.

Sean Seah
September 11th, 2011, 02:39 AM
I got pro res to work with a plugin. Can't remb the name thou but if u google for it should be able to find it

Mike Kujbida
September 11th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade an upgrade? I started with 9 and upgraded to 10. Any idea if it's possible to upgrade to 11?

You most certainly can.
I started with Vegas 1.0 and have upgraded ever since.
Take advantage of the introductory price when a new version is released ($140 for Pro 10) and save yourself a lot of money.

Craig Kovatch
September 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Swweeeeet! Thanks Mike!

Mike Kujbida
September 12th, 2011, 05:45 AM
You're welcome Craig.
Sony continued Sonic Foundry's policy of inexpensive upgrades as well as being able to upgrade from (sometimes much) older versions of Vegas to the latest one for the same price as a current user can.

David Johns
September 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Sony continued Sonic Foundry's policy of inexpensive upgrades as well as being able to upgrade from (sometimes much) older versions of Vegas to the latest one for the same price as a current user can.

I concur; I've been upgrading since version 2.0, sometimes skipping one or more versions at a time, just jumping when I felt the new release had something interesting.

Certainly looking forward to faster playback as well as rendering, with the GPU accceleration...

Regards
Dave

Sean Seah
September 13th, 2011, 08:05 AM
if the GPU works that alone is worth the upgrade for me. I ended up with 2 new laptops because V10 struggles with DSLR footages on most systems besides an Alienware.

Marco Maiello
September 13th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I wasted money on Vegas 10. It still does not work properly with Cineform so I am stuck using Vegas 9e. Why would I bother wasting more money?

OK maybe I have a solution for you :-) I had problems with cineform and vegas for years and i discovered recently that the divx codec installed with cineform and vegas create many problems... I wrote to cineform and they told me that they know very well all these problems but it's a divx fault.
I hope that this suggestion can help you!

Roy Alexander
September 14th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I'm quite happy with VMS 10 HD Platinum production suite but I won't be upgrading until Sony bring out an upgrade that permits nesting with VMS.

Jon Shuler
September 18th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I'm quite happy with VMS 10 HD Platinum production suite but I won't be upgrading until Sony bring out an upgrade that permits nesting with VMS.

Are you talking about project nesting? Has Sony said they are bring this pro feature to VMS.

Mike Kujbida
September 18th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Submit it as a product suggestion.
Sony Creative Software - Support - Product Suggestion (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/support/productsuggestion.asp)
Then sit back and wait as some of us have been asking for improvements (for example, a good titler program) as far back as Vegas 3 and are still waiting :(

Roy Alexander
September 19th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Jon. No I've heard nothing about Sony making Project nesting available on VMS. I'm just saying that I won't upgrade until they do.

Mike. I don't think I'll make suggestions to Sony, It would appear that what they listen to goes in one ear and out of the other without any retention between the two. Maybe they don't wish to make VMS to close to Vegas pro because of the price difference.

Steve Game
September 19th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Jon. No I've heard nothing about Sony making Project nesting available on VMS. I'm just saying that I won't upgrade until they do.

Mike. I don't think I'll make suggestions to Sony, It would appear that what they listen to goes in one ear and out of the other without any retention between the two. Maybe they don't wish to make VMS to close to Vegas pro because of the price difference.

Maybe they could add multi-camera, scripting, 4K support, PSD support, scopes, render farm support etc.

This is Sony you are talking about. They are the masters of market segmentation. Why should they add features in a sub 100GBP editor package that could undermine their 500GBP pro offering. Not many would buy Vegas Pro for the prestige and the development cost/support of the more esoteric tools would push the price way out of the consumer range leaving that market to Adobe Premiere Elements.

Steve

Roy Alexander
September 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I don't think it's asking to much to be able to easily place more than one short video onto a DVD disc. using a programme that doen't cost the earth for non commercial video makers.

Leslie Wand
September 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM
i short video? dvda? is that what you're implying?

Roy Alexander
September 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Leslie. I know how to put several projects onto a timeline in VMS 10 platinum, but it's time consuming and with project nesting it would be much quicker. Also with this feature I could edit longer videos in sections, each section being a project. I could then bring all edited sections onto the time line and select make movie and let the programme do the rest.

Magnus Helander
September 19th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I don't think it's asking to much to be able to easily place more than one short video onto a DVD disc. using a programme that doen't cost the earth for non commercial video makers.

You could use Export as MPEG-2 from VMS, then use $89 DVDlab to create menus and add as many films as you want. I used the Pro version commercially and found it to be very reliable and user-friendly.
DVD-lab Authoring software (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html)

/m

Buba Kastorski
September 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM
i feel your pain, but you wasted your money on Cineform, not on Vegas

Roy Alexander
September 19th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Magnus. Thanks for the Info. I will certainly look into the possibilities of DVDLab. I also produce a lot of videos in HI def as Blu-ray. I don't think DVDLab handles Hi Def.

Nicholas de Kock
September 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
i feel your pain, but you wasted your money on Cineform, not on Vegas

I made same mistake, any suggestions on alternatives to Cineform that work?

Mike Kujbida
September 19th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Roy, several Vegas users like TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 (http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw4.html) and it does Blu-ray
There's a 14 day trial so you can see what you think of it.

Phil Lee
September 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hi

The only issue with TMPGEnc authoring and Blu-ray is it only supports Blu-ray with MPEG2 encoding, which isn't as efficient and can struggle with good HD footage.

I have an application I'm working on that will take the output from Vegas (or any other editing package) as Lagarith uncompressed AVI, and will convert to compliant AVCHD/AVCHD 2.0 or Blu-ray H264 using the x264 encoder, which I think tops all the others for quality, if not for speed. You can then use something like MultiAVCHD to create a Blu-ray disc. For those using 1080/50/60p it will also convert to interlaced 1080i or 720/50p using a good resizer. 720p from 1080p looks brilliant on Blu-ray. The best bit is all the software is available free.

Screen shot attached. If there is interested I'll package it up as a setup file and post it somewhere.

TMPGEnc authoring also uses the x264 encoder for H264/AVC, I can only think their commerical licensing of x264 doesn't extend to the newest builds that produce Blu-ray compliant H264, hence using MPEG2.

Regards

Phil

Mike Kujbida
September 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Phil, thanks for the warning about TMPGEnc.
I'm not a user so I wasn't aware of the limitation.
Your application sounds interesting and I'm sure would be well-received by the Vegas community.

Mervin Langley
September 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I will dump vegas long before I dump Cineform. Its not a Cineform problem its a vegas problem.

Roy Alexander
September 21st, 2011, 05:01 AM
Phil. Your application sounds very good, are you by any chance referring to Aleesoft Easy Blu-ray creator.
I have tried the trial version and it is very good indeed and simple to use. I am not quite sure what it does though. Does it actually convert Standard definition files into HD DVD's. However it is not free and the trial has a watermark.

Phil Lee
September 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM
Hi

No connection to Easy Blu-ray, that was just a name I made up for my application, which is free, it isn't a commercial application and has no watermarks or restrictions. My app just does the encoding to compliant AVCHD or Blu-ray formats using the x264 encoder. It doesn't upscale, but you could do that in Sony Vegas or other editing package if required then encode it.

Regards

Phil