View Full Version : Mounting camera on different heads / QuickRelease plate

Patrik Vale
October 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I have been using Sony EX1, and EX3 for some time, and are also planning to get a DSLR...
The problem that I have been encountering more and more is mounting the cameras..
I have E-IMAGE tripods and monopods, using small Manfrotto head on slider, and are also mounting the cameras on a crane..The problem is that every head manufacturer has its own plate..
And when I need to move the camera from tripod to crane/slider or vice versa i constantly have to change plates which can be time consuming..
How do you guys manage this?
Do you use some kind of quick release plate, the one which base I can mount to a tripod head plate, and then move the camera across different heads...

Thank you for help..

Don Bloom
October 11th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Manfrotto (Bogen) QR577 seems to be the setup of choice. I use it for my monopod and DVMultirig and with a couple of plates all of my cameras can be switched from one to another effortlessly. About $50.00 USD

Greg Fiske
October 11th, 2011, 05:48 PM
And for high end option:
Really Right Stuff - Item Listing (http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=ClampsLR&key=cat)

Robert Turchick
October 11th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Second the 577. Saved a lot of headache since I have a lot of support gear including a Sachtler tripod which the 577 receiver plate sits atop. That way my cameras all wear the Manfrotto stuff. Easy!

Jon Onstot
January 29th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I have a Sachtler fsb4 fluid head tripod, and was surprised to find when I recently purchased a Manfrotto 561bhdv monopod that the Sachtler and Manfrotto quick release rails are compatible with each other. Is that design an industry standard?

The Manfrotto 577 looks quite nice, btw.