View Full Version : XL2 won't eject tape

Marco Leavitt
October 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. Anyone else ever had this problem? Was it expensive to repair? Also, is there a way to tether the XL2 to another miniDV camera and record the image there? I don't want to take the risk of missing footage because I can't eject the tape. I have heard of people with a similar problem on their GL2s using this trick in a pinch.

Bob Safay
October 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Marco, I have had this happen many times on my XL-2. Close the gate and try again. If this does not work, what I end up doing is, with the gate open, move my finger gently across the top of the tape transport then hit the eject buttom again. Been doing this for about a year. Hope this helps. Bob

Piotr Zubik
October 23rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
My does it too sometimes. As others, when gate is open I just press tape eject button once again and the tape slides out. I don't ever close the gate and open it twice, pressing the button is all I need. Always works.

Piotr

Trevor Forsythe
November 15th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I've also dealt with this. No rhyme or reason to how I get the tape ejected. Most successful method is switching out batteries, sometimes a few times. Had a live action shoot last week and the tape wouldn't eject until about 2 minutes before start time. A little nerve-racking, to say the least.

Sherman Bahr
June 5th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Yes this is a common issue with this camcorder that is caused by a little pin switch. The contacts oxidize and make it hard to eject the tape. Have that replaced and your problem will be solved.

Marco Leavitt
June 6th, 2013, 06:11 AM
It sure does seem like an oxidized contact. I wonder if it's reachable with DeoxIt?

Hosa Technology DeoxIt Fader Lubricant F100L-L25C B&H Photo

Sherman Bahr
June 13th, 2013, 11:47 PM
The switch in question is a very specific switch and is mounted on a flexible circuit board. It's not very easy to get to and almost the entire camera needs to be taken apart in order to get to it. I do not recommend spraying anything in your camcorder. Where the switch is at you can't even get to it with a nozzle anyway.

Marco Leavitt
June 14th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Ah nuts. I see you work at a camera repair company Sherman. Can you estimate a cost for the repair? Feel free to message me if you don't want to post that publicly.

Sherman Bahr
June 14th, 2013, 08:41 PM
PM sent Marco.