View Full Version : 4th Annual DVC/UWOL Charity Challenge Sign up!

Lorinda Norton
October 20th, 2011, 03:53 PM
It's time once again for the UWOL and DVC shooters to get together for fun and charity! This year we are running it quite a bit earlier than in the past. Y'all will be done in time to get your Christmas shopping done! Another nice aspect will be that the charity of the winner's choosing will be notified in time for a great gift at Christmas.

Sign up now for a start date of November 10 (you'll be given the theme at that time) with a submission date of December 10. That's an entire month to shoot and polish your 5-minute masterpiece!

With the exception of the extended 5 minute limit, rules for both DVC and UWOL apply and are pretty similar. UWOLers may post to their personal YouTube or Vimeo pages as well as to the UWOL Vimeo page. Details on upload info later.

Our great sponsor, Guy Cochran of DVeStore (http://www.dvestore.com), is working up a prize for the winner! So you get to give and possibly receive even more than the joy of giving! :)

Throughout the sign-up period and duration of the challenge we will give opportunities for you to donate, with the money going to the winner's favorite charity, as mentioned earlier. Details on how to donate coming soon, but know this: You don't have to donate to sign up, nor do you have to sign up to donate. We've had some generous benefactors help give nice donations to some great charities over the years. Warms the heart, I tell ya...

For now, let's get this going. Sign up and join the fun!!!

Chris Barcellos
October 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Okay, I am up for this one again, Lets go everyone !!

Dick Mays
October 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hoping to have an acting class full of students for help on this one. IN!

Kevin Railsback
October 20th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Might have a new camera for this so I'll throw my hat in.

George Williams
October 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM
oh sod it. i can't do any worse than last time - count me in too (i'll speak slower this time, i promise).

Daniel Bates
October 20th, 2011, 06:43 PM
It's time for me to get off the Wall of Shame, even if I can only manage a video about Legos shot on my phone (which is more or less what my talent pool and equipment consist of right now). I'm in!

Henry Williams
October 20th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Can't beat a bit of familial competition ;) I'm in!

Lorinda Norton
October 20th, 2011, 08:40 PM
At least half the fun of these contests is reading all of you guys' comments. :) Hoping you get that new camera, Kevin!

It's time for me to get off the Wall of Shame, even if I can only manage a video about Legos shot on my phone (which is more or less what my talent pool and equipment consist of right now). I'm in!
Ha ha! Can't wait to see what you do with so little in your arsenal this time, Daniel. Nice to see you back, Soldier...we've missed you.

Andrew Hood
October 21st, 2011, 12:55 AM
Count me in, been a while since I've completed anything video-wise.

Trond Saetre
October 21st, 2011, 04:13 AM
We need a couple more uwol'ers in here too.
Count me in! :)

Jeff Hendricks
October 21st, 2011, 08:04 AM
Count me in please!

Andris Krastins
October 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
I'm very busy with a new film project, but I'm in!

Cole Seidl
October 21st, 2011, 01:05 PM
IN! Benji and I are in the same country this time, so we'll be able to collaborate again.

Simon Wood
October 21st, 2011, 03:07 PM
....in....

David Cummings
October 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM
I'm in :D .....................................

Lorinda Norton
October 21st, 2011, 08:36 PM
Here's the info on donating. Remember, it's not a have-to, so if you don't have it, don't worry about it. But if you've got some to spare you'll feel great helping out some great charity out there! Also, anyone who donates, whether or not they complete a film, is a JUDGE. :)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/501863-charity-donation-faq-pool-total.html#post1690673

Marc Burleigh
October 22nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Damn y'all. I thought my video days were behind me, now that I've moved to an interesting new environment that severely curtails the use of any and all photographic and video equipment. And I've put most of my gear into storage as a result.

But maybe some sort of inspiration will strike that will still let me come up with something with the minimal gear and conditions I have available.

So I'll put my name down too. Fingers crossed.

Finn-Erik Faale
October 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
I need to have some fun. Please, count me in.

Ruth Happel
October 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I hope to give this a try. I've got a great charity in mind, just need to find the time to make a film.

Kevin McRoberts
October 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Add one entry in my name

Glen Canning
October 26th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Sounds like fun. I'm down too.

Geir Inge
October 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
The schedule says no, but my heart says yes - so I'm in for a game :)

Joseph Tran
October 26th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Hey, is it bad when you blow a dust-storm off of all your camera cases?

Jeremy Doyle
October 26th, 2011, 12:02 PM
sign me up!

Dale Guthormsen
October 29th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Good evening,

We have been in a tail spin sence June, house still in chaos with renovations. at least 2 months more to go!!!

But I have managed to participate in them all to date, so I will have to make an effort to get one in on this!!!! Besides I have two cameras setting here bored to death!!!

Dylan Couper
November 1st, 2011, 11:58 AM
I'm signing up Shaun Roemich.

Lorinda Norton
November 1st, 2011, 11:44 PM
Ha ha! Well then, if that's the way it's played I'm signing up Pete Bauer.

Simon Wood
November 2nd, 2011, 06:12 AM
I'm signing up Chris Hurd (maybe Canon will loan him one of those new hollywood cameras so we can see how it shoots)....

Lorinda, just a quick question about what is allowed for this contest - I take it we can do a UWOL style documentary, or even a fiction/dramatic short? How about a non wildlife related documentary? I just want to be clear what the scope is for the combined DVC/UWOL challenge? I'm going to be traveling during the second half of the month so I need to lock down an idea as soon as the theme is announced to be in with a shot!

Pete Bauer
November 2nd, 2011, 06:51 AM
Fine. Then I'm signing up Dylan Couper. Twice. No, thrice. Same goes for Lorinda Norton...who, oddly enough, has not already explicitly signed up...so quadruple on her!

Trond Saetre
November 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Lorinda, just a quick question about what is allowed for this contest - I take it we can do a UWOL style documentary, or even a fiction/dramatic short? How about a non wildlife related documentary? I just want to be clear what the scope is for the combined DVC/UWOL challenge? I'm going to be traveling during the second half of the month so I need to lock down an idea as soon as the theme is announced to be in with a shot!
Simon, you can of course shoot UWOL style, or DVC style video. Or combine the two if you want.

Clint Harmon
November 2nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
Count me in

Lorinda Norton
November 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
...I take it we can do a UWOL style documentary, or even a fiction/dramatic short? How about a non wildlife related documentary? I just want to be clear what the scope is for the combined DVC/UWOL challenge? I'm going to be traveling during the second half of the month so I need to lock down an idea as soon as the theme is announced to be in with a shot!
Either or a combination of the above is fine, Simon!

Fine. Then I'm signing up Dylan Couper. Twice. No, thrice. Same goes for Lorinda Norton...who, oddly enough, has not already explicitly signed up...so quadruple on her!
Ha ha ha...Pete, you are so good at dishing it right back, and not just in double or triple portions, but quadruple! Hope you'll seriously think about coming on in. I cracked up at your film from the last DVC/UWOL Challenge and would love to see what masterpiece would spring from your brain again this year. :)

Dick Mays
November 3rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
I'd like to try out my new Cinema EOS C300 for this challenge.

Slava Alekseev
November 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Count me in, please!

Dylan Couper
November 3rd, 2011, 10:45 PM

AH DAMNIT!!

fine

im in

Bob Safay
November 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM
OK, why not, Bob

Dave Trainer
November 7th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Been too long... count me in.

PS. been away from this for a while.. can someone point me to the rules regs etc.. Thx.

Lorinda Norton
November 7th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Welcome back, Dave. I had to search for the link to the DVC rules so now it's posted and stuck at the top of the forum. Thanks--it needed to be done a long time ago. :)
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge-our-semi-regular-contest/502430-official-rules-dv-challenge.html

Rules for UWOL shooters:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge-our-newest-contest/113245-what-rules-how-can-i-play.html

Geir Inge
November 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM
With the exception of the extended 5 minute limit, rules for both DVC and UWOL apply and are pretty similar. UWOLers may post to their personal YouTube or Vimeo pages as well as to the UWOL Vimeo page. Details on upload info later.

Welcome back, Dave. I had to search for the link to the DVC rules so now it's posted and stuck at the top of the forum. Thanks--it needed to be done a long time ago. :)

Maybe a little notice about the time limit?
Normal it is 3 minutes, and for the charity challenge it is extended to 5 minutes.
You'll find the 5 min rule only in this start up tread I think :)

Dave Trainer
November 9th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks guys.

Daniel Bates
November 9th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Sign up now for a start date of November 10 (you'll be given the theme at that time) with a submission date of December 10. That's an entire month to shoot and polish your 5-minute masterpiece!

It's the 10th in Korea!!! :)

Bruce Foreman
November 10th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Well, I'm 30 min late signing up, but topic not announced yet, so...

...I'm in.

Andris Krastins
November 10th, 2011, 02:14 AM
It's already 10am of the 10th in Latvia. ;)

Lorinda Norton
November 10th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Just for you guys on the other side of the world, this night owl is gonna cave and post now...hang on. (It's about 1:30 am here.) :)

Andris Krastins
November 10th, 2011, 02:41 AM
!!! Thanks, Lorinda! :)

Dave Trainer
November 10th, 2011, 05:21 AM
almost the 11th (11/11/11) here in oz!!

Mugurel Dragusin
November 11th, 2011, 08:01 AM
In theory, I am in. In practice, like everyone else, remains to be seen :)

Lorinda Norton
December 8th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Heads up!! If you never got out of the gate, or if you started and hit a snag thinking you couldn't get done by the submission date, or if you plain old got lazy--this is the announcement for you!
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/503405-surprise-bonus-week-more.html

And also, the more submissions we get the bigger the prize!
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/503184-priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiize.html

So don't be a humbug this Christmas! If you signed up, get your video done! If you haven't signed up yet you've got more time, so get in the game!

And remember...it's for a good cause. :)
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-uwol-charity-challenge/501863-charity-donation-faq-pool-total.html

Marj Atkins
December 16th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Been working on an idea for this over a couple of weeks but with far too little footage absolutely nothing seemed to come together until this morning. Not sure I will be able to finish but at least I'll bump the numbers up on this by giving Dylan's promo idea a go.

Lorinda Norton
December 17th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Atta girl, Marj!! I'm sure it will be great.

When you are finished send a link to your uploaded video to thedvchallenge@gmail.com with the following:

Subject line: DVC/UWOL Charity Challenge 2011

Body:
Your Name
Name of Your TV Show/Trailer
Link

As for the UWOL vault, we still haven't got things completely set up yet but that doesn't mean I can't set up another portfolio for this challenge. If you want your UWOL video archived there shoot me an email and I'll send you the password when the page is ready.