View Full Version : VG-20H in stock at Sony Style - USA

Junior Pascual
October 31st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Interchangeable Lens HD Handycam Camcorder and Lens | SLT-A77VQ | Sony USA (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666376733)

Shipping tomorrow (Nov. 1)

Jeff Hinson
November 1st, 2011, 02:09 AM
I usually order from BH photo NYC..
Is there any disadvantage or advantage ordering direct from SONY?

jeff

Paul Newman
November 1st, 2011, 04:46 AM
Interesting that the AVCHD data rates are listedb as:

Video Mode : AVCHD: 1920 x 1080/ 60p/24p 60i (FX/FH); FX- 24Mbps, FH - 17Mbps; 1440x1080/60i HQ -9 Mbps

No mention of 28Mbps

however on the Sony UK site you have:

HD; PS:Approx.28Mbps/FX:Approx.24Mbps/FH:Approx.17Mbps/HQ:Approx.9Mbps/LP:Approx.5Mbps. SD; STD HQ:9Mbps

BUT also THIS:

24 Mbps recording - Full HD 1920 x 1080 video shooting (AVCHD format) at maximum bit rate for increased detail and clarity

mmm, I wonder what's really real?

and I found a file on the net, a 28Mbps 50p mts file from the VG20, that reports as 25Mbps when opened - sooooo??

Paul

Jeff Hinson
November 1st, 2011, 06:58 AM
Do you think it might be some form of VBR (variable bit rate) to limit file size..as done in audio files?
Just guessing.

Dave Blackhurst
November 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
Presuming that it's the same as the other Sony cameras, there is the 24Mbps interlaced mode, AND a 28Mbps progressive mode, 50 or 60 depending on region (PAL or NTSC). Not sure that every program will properly "read" the tags for the 50/60P, that may be a part of the problem?

Chris Barcellos
November 1st, 2011, 12:28 PM
I took the plunge and ordered VG-20 from Sony today. I am looking at using as a potential low end rental for a start up business I am contemplating. I am still looking forward to what Canon may present, along with DSLR I have, and an FX1, I am going to test the local rental market for film makers. We seem to have a large interest in this area.

Jeff Hinson
November 2nd, 2011, 01:57 AM
Chris..
Still no stock at BHphoto..I may order direct too. Will give another week to stock.

Please let us know what you think of the VG20 and what you think of the 10x zoom lens.

Good luck on your rental venture.
Jeff

Bill Koehler
November 2nd, 2011, 07:12 AM
Chris..
Still no stock at BHphoto..I may order direct too. Will give another week to stock.

I checked last night & there was stock (body only) as well as this morning.

Sony NEX-VG20 Interchangeable Lens HD Handycam NEXVG20 B&H Photo

Personally, I want to see more reviews and online footage before making a commitment.

Jeff Hinson
November 2nd, 2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah Bill...I want the kit with lens. I have the Nex 5n..so could use the zoom on both.

I "should' wait too...but getting anxious. ha

I have the XHA1 Canon....but the 'combo' of the Nex 5N and VG20 really appeals to me.

Jeff

just checked with BH....they have the ZOOM lens in stock..but not in Kit form. So if you preorder they probably just ship as separate items...which would cost more.
Think I will order kit from Sony.

Chris Barcellos
November 2nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Interestingly, if you go to Sony Store and search for VG-20 it only gives you page for body. Using link at top of this page, it gave me access to the kit. There was no issue of out of stock when I ordered. I usually go with BH Photo too, but there was interest free financing from Sony available, so I went that route.

Jeff Hinson
November 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
I did the preorder thing with B&H..they have been good to me over the years.
Hope we've done the right thing by rushing to order. : ? )
Jeff

Jeff Hinson
November 24th, 2011, 03:38 AM
B&H has stock as of 11-23-11...new corrected spec.

Todd Clark
November 24th, 2011, 09:21 AM
The spec still shows creative color styles.

From the spec:
Creative Color Modes Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, B/W

Jeff Hinson
November 24th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Maybe in "this" run of cams they put it back in.
I will call BH to see and post.
I would order immediately if it's true.

Jeff

I sent this message to BHphoto.

Sony VG 20. Please verify the spec that states under, EXPOSURE CONTROL, the VG20 has the following .....(Creative Color Modes) Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, B/W

Others have ordered direct from Sony and the VG 20 does NOT have this spec.
I will order if it DOES. Jeff

Todd Clark
November 24th, 2011, 01:21 PM
"Maybe in "this" run of cams they put it back in."

I highly doubt it! But if they put the sharpening control back in I would buy one.
I doubt that also!

Jeff Hinson
November 25th, 2011, 02:55 AM
@TODD...

I doubt it too.
B&H "typically" prints legit info on their products, because of their "no questions ask" return policy.
I have NOT heard back from them regarding the spec as of 11/25. Anxious to hear yes or no.

Will post their response.

Jeff

Chris Barcellos
November 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Over at the Sony Style forum, I posted a question about the missing features, and asking if they would be updating with firmware. The post seems to have dissappeared from general view, though I can access it by searching for my own posts. That was posted on 22nd. I made a new post with the same question, a couple of days ago, and that seems to be accessible still, Had a few views, but no response from a moderator. Meanwhile, I have found same specs in another location.

I don't get why it is still up if Sony knows the issue.

Curtis Campsall
November 25th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I don't know how they can get away with not delivering what they have advertised. The specs are the same on Sony Style Canada and major Canadian Online dealers as well, so not limited to USA. This is obviously the material as supplied by Sony. There are some specs they have defined as Photo Mode only, but not the 6 styles and 8 white balances that is the crux of the issue, there is no reason why this should not be available to video mode.

If they would just set it up so you can roll video from within photo mode so you can match the settings of the 5n I would seriously consider one of each. The more simplified video menu is fine for run and gun, but for narrative work you need more control.

Jeff Hinson
November 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM
This is all strange indeed...
My gut feeling is they will change the firmware to
the specifications as advertised. The initial release was rushed out the door to make delivery commitments, in my opinion.
I'm hoping that's the case anyway, because I really would like to have the camera to match my Sony 5N.

Jeff

Curtis Campsall
November 26th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I can't see this being resolved in the next few days, more likely January or later. By that time the Consumer Electronics show and other announcements will be out and we'll be able to see if there is any competition on the horizon for this type of high end consumer product.

The current status is incomprehensible to me, other than maybe rushed out before it was ready. From all I've read and seen the 5n is a big time winner for what it is, the vg20 should be everything the 5n is and more, not less for 3x the price.

I'm in limbo at the moment. I'd spring for a 5n in an instant and save for the vg20 if I knew it was going to deliver, but I need the A-cam more than the b. I don't want to extend my credit into the $5000 range just to get a 'real' video camera with a screen that shows the same image before you roll record as after.

Todd Clark
November 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM
@TODD...

I doubt it too.
B&H "typically" prints legit info on their products, because of their "no questions ask" return policy.
I have NOT heard back from them regarding the spec as of 11/25. Anxious to hear yes or no.

Will post their response.

Jeff

Jeff,

Have you heard yet from B&H?

Chris Barcellos
November 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I talked to Customer relations yesterday, trying to find out if there was any thing on the horizon in terms of fixing the camera. They had no knowledge of anything. They said I had 30 days from purchase to return, if unsatisfied with camera. That will be tomorrow, for me.

Though I stated I will probably keep it, I am still weighing things. I may request an RA by tomorrow.

Jeff Hinson
November 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Jeff Hinson
November 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
B&H would not verify the "color" presets are available in both video and stills mode.
They cut me short and told me to read the manual. hahaha

Screw it...........I will wait for the firmware update...if it happens.

Jeff

Scott Caplan
November 29th, 2011, 03:42 PM
The NEX-FS100UK has a huge firmware update in January coming out for $0. I'd guess something similar for the VG-20 is in the works as well.

Scott Caplan

Jeff Hinson
November 29th, 2011, 05:33 PM
@Scott...

There's no way Id buy the VG20 at this point. Shady marketing IMO, to say the least. I cant believe a major distributor is "going along" with Sony's reluctance to clear the mud. How long would it take to fire-up the VG20 and post the "truth" about the camera? I think all who have spent hours reporting reviews on the 20 should bill Sony for their time.

Mr. Grumpy