View Full Version : Sony Vegas Pro 11 update

Jeff Harper
November 1st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Pro 11.0 (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/vegaspro)

Fastest Update I've ever seen from Sony.

Dror Levi
November 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM
it says it will fix some GPU bugs.
I really hope it will.
Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Pro 11.0 (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/vegaspro)

Ian Stark
November 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM
Annoyingly the release notes page seems to be unavailable. Anyone able to view it and if so could they kindly copy and paste the contents here? Thanks.

Edward Troxel
November 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM
If you install it, there should also be release notes in the Vegas 11 folder inside Program Files. Perhaps you could pull it up there and post the listed changes?

Ian Stark
November 1st, 2011, 10:08 AM
Done!

Notable fixes/changes in version 11.0 (Build 425)
Enabled GPU acceleration for NVIDIA GPUs with Compute Capability prior to 2.0 when using driver 285.62 or newer. See this Web page for a list of Compute Capability levels for various NVIDIA GPUs: | NVIDIA Developer Zone (http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus).

Improved performance for GPU-accelerated video processing for certain GPU and chipsets.
Improved performance for GPU-accelerated Page Loop, Page Peel, and Page Roll transitions.
Improved performance for GPU-accelerated Noise Texture generator.
Improved performance for OFX media generators that are not animated.
Added support for 422 profile in MainConcept MPEG-2 custom templates.
Changed the default field order for MainConcept MPEG-2 NTSC DVD templates to upper first (which is more common and matches more source media).
Fixed an issue reading AVI files created by Autodesk 3ds Max.
Fixed an issue that could cause silent audio on certain long MP4 files.
Fixed an issue that prevented MainConcept MPEG-2 custom templates from Vegas Pro 10 from functioning correctly.
Fixed an issue that could cause MainConcept GPU-accelerated AVC rendering to fail in some cases.
Fixed an issue where previewing Cross Effect in the Transitions window could make the preview thumbnails incorrect for subsequent previews.
Fixed a Y-axis inversion in the Mirror plug-in.
Fixed an issue with certain settings of the Cookie Cutter plug-in not matching previous version.
Fixed a freeze that could occur when rendering a 32-bit floating point project with certain FirePro GPUs.
Fixed an issue that allowed compositor plug-ins to be dragged to events.
Fixed an issue that allowed more than one compositor plug-in on a track.
Fixed an issue with Color Corrector and Color Corrector (Secondary) color wheel interpolation when crossing the zero-degree line.
Fixed an issue that could cause Media FX to be dropped when relinking media.
Fixed an issue that could produce incorrect output for the Sepia plug-in when used on images with transparency.
Fixed an issue with the Levels plug-in that could produce incorrect results in some cases if Channel was not set to All.
Fixed an issue that could cause artifacts for high settings of the Feather control when processing was not GPU accelerated.
Fixed an issue that caused Stereoscopic 3D Adjust floating windows to be transparent when processing was GPU accelerated.
Fixed an issue that could cause an error when rendering to certain MainConcept MPEG-2 templates.
Fixed Cookie Cutter plug-in shapes for projects with nonsquare pixel aspect ratios.
Fixed an issue with Defocus, Glint, Rays, Soft Contrast, and Starburst when used with images with alpha channel or transparency.
Fixed an exception error that could occur with certain editing scenarios in the ProType Titler.
Fixed a crash that could occur when using the RE:Vision Effects ClampTime plug-in.
Fixed a case where a keyframe could be created for an incorrect parameter when using the Custom view of an OFX plug-in (such as Color Corrector).
Fixed an issue that could cause Paste Event Attributes to use the wrong event’s attributes when the source events were grouped.
When using the Upload to YouTube dialog, tags must be at least two characters long. The Upload button is unavailable if your tag is shorter than two characters.
New Features in Version 11.0
Video
GPU-accelerated video processing (please see System Requirements for information about supported hardware).
New Titles & Text plug-in.
Improved usability for the ProType Titler.
Added a new Star Wipe transition.
Added a new Radial Pixelate video plug-in.
Added per-parameter keyframes for many video plug-ins.
The Transitions, Video FX, Media Generators, and (new) Compositors windows all include folders to group plug-ins and a search box to help you find plug-ins easily.
The Stabilize plug-in has been simplified and improved.
The Stereoscopic 3D Adjust plug-in now includes Floating Windows controls to allow you to mask the edge of the video frame to compensate for screen-edge violations.
Added a Stereoscopic 3D depth control to the Cookie Cutter effect, as well as Cross Effect and Iris transitions.
Support for NVIDIA 3D Vision on single-display systems using the Windows Graphics Card device (available in Preferences > Preview Device).
Event Pan/Crop is now integrated into the Video Event FX dialog.
Audio
Improved usability for the Mixing Console.
A simplified Master Bus window provides you with a streamlined view of your project's master output.
Workflow
Sync links provide an additional method of keeping events synchronized: a linked event retains synchronization when the event it is linked to is moved but can be moved independently.
An updated Render As dialog streamlines the rendering process and makes it easy to manage your favorite render templates.
Integrated Upload to YouTube.
Formats
MainConcept AVC/AAC improvements:
Added MP4 templates for Internet distribution.
Added an Enable progressive download check box to the Video tab of the Custom Settings dialog to allow your videos to begin playing during download.
Added support for GPU-accelerated rendering.
Added support for RED EPIC® clips.

3.0 Known Issues
The Windows Media Audio 9 Voice codec is not included with the Windows Media Player 11 update. If you've installed Windows Media Player 11, rendering to Windows Media Audio 9 format will produce an error. For more information, please refer to Knowledge Base article 932390 on the Microsoft Help and Support site.
If you are printing a rendered file to HDV tape, the file must precisely conform to the target HDV device and file type requirements, or the print-to-tape operation will fail. Rendering using the provided HDV MPEG-2 render templates—unmodified in any way—is required to successfully print to HDV tape.
Vegas Pro templates for rendering multichannel audio in .wav/.wav64, .avi, and .mxf formats may be visible in other Sony Creative Software Inc. applications that do not support multichannel audio. Using these templates in other applications will not produce the desired result and should be avoided.
Under some uncommon conditions on multiprocessor machines, you may encounter stability problems when using some Waves 5.2 plug-ins. In most cases, the stability issues can be resolved by clearing the Enable track buffering check box in Vegas Pro 10 (Options > Preferences > Audio Device).
You may not be able to render files larger than 4 GB using some combinations of settings in the Sony AVC encoder.
If you have multiple Sony applications (such as ACID, Sound Forge, CD Architect, etc.) installed, uninstalling other Sony applications may cause your audio plug-ins to be removed from Vegas Pro. To restore your audio plug-ins, uninstall and reinstall Vegas Pro.
When the Show Video Monitor button in the Trimmer window is selected, video that you preview from the Vegas Explorer and Media Manager windows is played back in the Trimmer. Because the Trimmer is placed in the same window dock as the Explorer and Media Manager, you will not see your video preview. To preview Explorer and Media Manager video, you can drag the Trimmer to a new dock group, or you can turn off the Show Video Monitor button to preview in the Video Preview window.
The Step Forward and Step Backward buttons in the Capture window are not supported by all HDV devices.
If your project contains still-image sequences or segmented .r3d files, do not select the Copy media with project check box in the Save As dialog. Some frames or segments may not be saved when this check box is selected.
The following features are not available in the 64-bit version of Vegas 11.0. If you need to use the following features, you can share projects between 32- and 64-bit versions of Vegas 11.0 installations, performing editing as needed in 32-bit Vegas 11.0 and finishing the project in 64-bit Vegas 11.0:
Rendering templates created in 32-bit Vegas 11.0 are not available in 64-bit Vegas 11.0.
Gracenote support is not available.
AAF import and export are not available.
Third-party plug-ins will work only if they are 64-bit plug-ins. Please check with the plug-in vendor for available updates.
Installing driver 2.21 for the PDW-UI XDCAM drive can prevent Vegas from starting. Uninstalling the driver or upgrading to version 2.3 will resolve the issue.
If you're running two instances of Vegas Pro, external control devices are available only to the first instance of the sofware.
When using the Stereoscopic 3D Graphic Card as your preview device with an nVidia 3D Vision for Quadro or 3D Vision Pro setup on a Windows Vista machine, the 3D output may stop when opening another window (such as a video FX property page). If this occurs, please make sure you have the latest graphic card driver and 3D Vision USB driver installed. If installing the latest drivers does not fix the problem, try switching the primary and secondary monitors. There is also a known issue where content on the main window will flicker. This can be fixed by moving another window over the portions of the window that are flickering and then closing the overlapping window.
We recommend Windows 7 for nVidia 3D Vision for Quadro setups.
Rendering CineForm Neo3D files requires CineForm NeoHD, Neo4K, or Neo3D 5.1 (or newer) or GoPro-CineForm Studio, Studio Premium or Studio Professional. The CineForm Neo Player is not compatible with other CineForm products. Do not install Neo Player if you have another CineForm product installed.
Version 5 of the AJA device drivers support 64-bit versions of Windows 7 only.
CEA608 and CEA708 closed captions are supported over HD-SDI on AJA cards only. Line 21 captions are supported on AJA and DeckLink cards.
Right-clicking a media file and choosing Edit Source Project fails to load the project path saved in the media file for media rendered using the following settings: MainConcept AVC/AAC and Sony AVC (Memory Stick templates only).
OpenCL GPU rendering is not available when using AMD Radeon Catalyst driver 11.3, 11.4, 11.5, and 11.6. Please use driver version 11.7.
In order for some devices to appear in the Device Explorer window, you may need to change the device’s USB Connect setting from Automatic or MTP to Mass Storage.
The Tools > Burn Disc > DVD with Menus and Tools > Burn Disc > Blu-ray Disc with Menus commands are unavailable if DVD Architect Pro is not installed.
If you want to use RAW camera files in your project, the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack will allow you to view RAW camera files and add them to the timeline.
Using the Blackmagic HD Extreme with the Blackmagic ASIO Driver can cause Vegas Pro to hang.

Jeff Harper
November 1st, 2011, 10:08 AM
Drori posted re: update apparently before I did, didn't see his post, sorry! I think it showed up later, but he posted first.

I've downloaded it, the original it working pretty well for me so far, so I might wait to see what you guys think before I do it!

This looks like a worthwhile update, for sure.

Chris Barcellos
November 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM
Can you post the notes for the update.

Ian Stark
November 1st, 2011, 10:13 AM
They're in the competing thread! http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/502209-update-vegas-11-a.html

Chris Hurd
November 1st, 2011, 10:17 AM
Duplicate threads now merged.

Dror Levi
November 1st, 2011, 10:53 AM
for some reason I am not able to download the 64 bit but only the 32 bit,
Do you know of any other page to download the 64bit.

This is what i am getting

"The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Mike Kujbida
November 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
Dror, a lot of users are downloading it right now so keep trying and you'll get it sooner or later.

Ian Stark
November 1st, 2011, 11:05 AM
Yes, my download took something like 8 minutes for the 64 bit but only around 45 seconds for the 32 bit (100Mbps broadband), suggesting the former is popular!

p.s. thanks Chris.

Jeff Harper
November 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM
When I opened updated version, it crashed right away, but since then it's working fine.

Mike Kujbida
November 1st, 2011, 11:50 AM
http://download.sonycreativesoftware.com/current/vegaspro11.0.424_32bit.exe
http://download.sonycreativesoftware.com/current/vegaspro11.0.425_64bit.exe

Robin Davies-Rollinson
November 1st, 2011, 12:28 PM
Runs really sweetly now. Id upgraded my graphics card especially for version 11, but there were still a few issues. Now, hopefully, they seem to have gone away - and the NewBlue Pro Titler really rocks!

Dror Levi
November 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM
I have the same issues I had before.
Sony Vegas 64 constantly crashes to the point that I can not use it.
32 bit is stable but it does not look like i am gaining anything from my GTX 570.

Jeff Harper
November 1st, 2011, 01:35 PM
You know, I just did a complete reinstall of Windows the other day, and Vegas 11 seems to be running much better. Not that I'm recommending that as a cure for your troubles.

Before the reinstall, playback was same as with V10, but with the reformatted hard drive, etc, 11 is definitely better now.

Nicholas de Kock
November 1st, 2011, 02:05 PM
An update, that's great news! I've actually disabled GPU Accelerated preview worked great in tests but when working on real projects I found my video previews slower than ever, worked fine when disabled. Let me give the update a whirl.

Dror Levi
November 1st, 2011, 02:14 PM
I have the feeling that Sony Vegas is still not 100% with the program.
Maybe I have to much expectations from the GPU.
I have CS5 on my computer and it works great with the GTX 570, nothing like Vegas.

Jeff Harper
November 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM
I'm editing a 4 cam wedding in 720 60p, and I'm previewing at real time, no issues, perfectly smooth, with color correction applied to all clips.

Tom Roper
November 1st, 2011, 05:48 PM
Works great on my laptop, Windows 7, 64 bit, real time previews 28 Mbps h.264 1080/60p, 100 Mbps Sony MXF 4:2:2 1080/59.94i/30p/24p and NVIDIA GT555M on Dell XPS 17 (1920x1080) i7-2720QM turbo boost 2.0 to 3.30 Ghz, 256GB SSD Dual Drive and 640GB 7200 rpm SATA HDD. Renders fast too. Just sayin...

David Wayne Groves
November 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
It now supports my GTX 295 card, glad I did not spring for a new card...My GTX 295 still hangs in there with the latest generation cards in most tests so I was not willing to let it go just yet.....

Bill Koehler
November 1st, 2011, 07:01 PM
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/502210-sony-vegas-pro-11-update.html#post1693005

That is one amazingly long bug-fix list. Those programmers have been busy!
I had already gone back to Vegas 10 due to rendering problems.
Vegas 10 of course is slower, but it's far faster than Vegas 11 running in GPU disabled mode.

But of course I'd like to give Vegas 11 another try...

Tom Bostick
November 1st, 2011, 10:38 PM
can anyone confirm if this update fixes the system low on memory error when rendering with main concept avc/mp4?

Jeff Harper
November 1st, 2011, 10:51 PM
While technically one should not have to do a clean install to run a new version of Vegas, on more than one occasion in the past, and in this case it has cleared up problems for me.

Many other issues have been solved by configuration issues. For example I couldn't render 720p for bluray using templates from Vegas 10. I had to create a new template for rendering from a V11 template and all was well.

Vegas is consistently blamed for issues that often are more windows related issues or PC issues than actual Vegas issues. Not always, but when report after report comes in that it's running like a scalded dog (in other words, fast) if it's running poorly for you than you should consider a clean install of Windows. I've seen others do this to get it running right also.

Something to think about. First to admit a clean install is a lot of work and trouble, but sometimes it's the only way to isolate issues or get rid of them.

Tom Roper
November 1st, 2011, 11:00 PM
Well here's the bug I found Jeff. Maybe you can confirm it.

11.0 build 425 (64 bit) breaks the ability to render 1080/60p from a custom template using the MainConcept MPEG-2 plug-in.

I performed a Windows system restore to roll back to build 371. It now renders 1080/60p as before.

Tom Bostick
November 1st, 2011, 11:00 PM
While technically one should not have to do a clean install to run a new version of Vegas, on more than one occasion in the past, and in this case it has cleared up problems for me.

Many other issues have been solved by configuration issues. For example I couldn't render 720p for bluray using templates from Vegas 10. I had to create a new template for rendering from a V11 template and all was well.

Vegas is consistently blamed for issues that often are more windows related issues or PC issues than actual Vegas issues. Not always, but when report after report comes in that it's running like a scalded dog (in other words, fast) if it's running poorly for you than you should consider a clean install of Windows. I've seen others do this to get it running right also.

Something to think about. First to admit a clean install is a lot of work and trouble, but sometimes it's the only way to isolate issues or get rid of them.

well the odd thing is that with the first version of pro 11 i was able to complete a few renders and they were way faster than my speeds with v10.

Id hate to have to reformat but the speed increases are worth it if i can get them working

Jeff Harper
November 1st, 2011, 11:22 PM
Go back to the new version, change the level in the custom setting from high 1440 to just plain high and it will render fine. don't know if this affects quality enough to worry about, but it works. That setting will trip up rendering when creating custom render templates.

Jeff Harper
November 1st, 2011, 11:34 PM
I just realized, I'm editing 4 cameras, 720 60p footage, and preview window is largest size, and I'm on "Best Auto" and it's running perfectly.

I never could run at Best before and get realtime playback on all 4 cameras. That is a remarkable improvement.

In fact, I had trouble using "Best" setting with the window at full size with a single camera many times.

Jeff Harper
November 2nd, 2011, 12:28 AM
For 60p rendering High is recommended not 1440, so according to the post at the link above, for 60p we actually need to choose High over High 1440.

If Vegas had a 720 60p Mpeg 2 template, it would automatically have High selected, not High 1440 because High 1440 only supports 30p, not 60p. But because I have to customize a 720 30p template, the level setting needs to be changed.

Not sure why it didn't in the original version, but at least the issue is not a bug so much but instead just requires a change in setting.

This was happening to me early on in the original release also, but I found the issue and all is well.

Tom Roper
November 2nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
Jeff, I've been rendering to HIGH all along. Start with a file on the time line. Choose render as, select the Main Concept MPEG-2 plug in, choose Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i, 25 Mbps video stream. Choose customize template. Change frame rate to 59.940. Change field order to None (progressive scan). Accept all the other defaults. Render. Fails to render in build 425. Roll back to build 371. Renders successfully every time.

Jeff Harper
November 2nd, 2011, 01:13 AM
Tom, my apologies. I did not read your post correctly, and I was wrong.

I "saw" 720 60p when you are trying to render 1080 60p. Sorry. You are absolutely right, I cannot render to 1080 60p either, tried it every which way. Real bummer. I will likely be wanting to render using the same settings, down the road, so I'm concerned, but I cannot deal with it right now. My projects for the next month or so are all 720 60p, so I'm ok for now, but your situation stinks now.

I'll probably have to uninstall, since I disable system restore. I did at least keep a copy of the original version.

I hope this gets resolved!

Phil Lee
November 2nd, 2011, 01:19 AM
Hi

Jeff, I've been rendering to HIGH all along. Start with a file on the time line. Choose render as, select the Main Concept MPEG-2 plug in, choose Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i, 25 Mbps video stream. Choose customize template. Change frame rate to 59.940. Change field order to None (progressive scan). Accept all the other defaults. Render. Fails to render in build 425. Roll back to build 371. Renders successfully every time.

I don't think the MainConcept MPEG2 encoder supports 1080 at 60p, this is true of the SDK used on the MainConcept reference program which uses the same DLLs as Sony Vegas, and I never got it working in Vegas ever.

Much better to use H264 for 60p anyway.

Would not surprise me if the template was wrong before and was actually defaulting 60i and so working?

Regards

Phil

Jeff Harper
November 2nd, 2011, 01:31 AM
Phil, you might be onto something. Unless I'm misreading, or unless the information below is wrong, Bluray does not seem to support 1080 60p. Is this correct?

Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc)

"Video
High-definition video may be stored on BD-ROMs with up to 1920×1080 pixel resolution at up to 59.94 fields per second, if interlaced. Alternatively, progressive scan can go up to 1920×1080 pixel resolution at 24 frames per second, or up to 1280x720 at up to 59.94 frames per second"

Would this also mean 1080 50p is not supported? If Tom was rendering it out before, as you say maybe the glitch was in the previous version?

I clearly am out of my depth here, but this is interesting.

Tom Roper
November 2nd, 2011, 09:04 AM
I think you should try it. Roll back to build 371 and you'll see that it outputs a file *.m2t. It was working in V10 as well. Worked in 8.0(c). You can read the file header it's progressive encoded. The template was not wrong, there is no standard template at all, you have to do a custom but the rendering codec did support it if you modified the parameters in the template.

If you can't get it to play, you have to remember with mpeg-2 there needs to be an audio track included. By default, the encoder parameters specify separate elementary streams for a/v, so you have to change this in order to get a playable file.

I also expected someone with not much experience in it would be the first to say use H264. Try your hand at 17-28 mbps 1920x1080/60p and see how all your player(s) handle it. Mpeg-2 at 35 mbps CBR is an easy injest for everything from WDTV to PS3.

I would not be surprised if SCS has dropped support for mpeg-2 1920x1080/60p, but the Sony/Main Concept plug-in for AVC (h.264) is very low end. And moreover, SCS emphasized all the fixes applied to encoder plug-ins and fails to mention that 1920x1080/60p mpeg-2 encoding has just now been disabled?

Hi

I don't think the MainConcept MPEG2 encoder supports 1080 at 60p, this is true of the SDK used on the MainConcept reference program which uses the same DLLs as Sony Vegas, and I never got it working in Vegas ever.

Much better to use H264 for 60p anyway.

Would not surprise me if the template was wrong before and was actually defaulting 60i and so working?

Regards

Phil

Tom Roper
November 2nd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Jeff, you are correct that 1920x1080/60p is not a supported format but we're not talking Blu-ray here unless you just want to drop an mpeg-2 or h.264 AVC file onto a Blu-ray media for a non-authored, Data Disk.

Any recent Blu-ray player should be capable of playing a variety of media file types, picture, sound, video from a disk or other connected input, flash drive, HDD etc., not just authored BD content.

Jeff Harper
November 2nd, 2011, 10:03 AM
Tom, I disable system restore, so I can't roll back, unfortunately. Re: an authored Bluray disc is what I assumed you were trying to create, my mistake. This changes things in a way for me, as I have been wanting 1080 60p. I shoot weddings and my work ends up as Bluray or SD DVD, so the advantages of 60p would be minimal, right?

For your purposes I hope you get this figured out. For mine, I see that yes it's unfortunate no 60p for Bluray, but it ends my obsession with having it in 1080, it's pointless. Unless I'm missing something.

Tom Roper
November 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
There are only a few reasons to use 1920x1080/60p.

1.) Your source video is already in that format, i.e. 1080/60p camcorder. This is the main and most important reason.
2.) You have some 60i interlaced footage that you want to deinterlace with Yadif algorithm and play as 60p without artifacts.
3.) You have some 30p footage that you want to play. You could convert this to 60i but you'll add interlace artifacts.

30p isn't widely supported in displays, so it is often converted to 60p or 60i. The former is preferable from the standpoint of quality. The latter is preferable for compatibility with more displays and players but adds interlace artifacts in the conversion to it. All of the above formats can be rendered to 60i but you'll have interlace artifacts, flicker, line twitter.

Vegas does a poor job deinterlacing because it only uses interpolation or blending of fields. Hand Brake is better at deinterlacing because it uses yadif, which is much cleaner about combining 59.960 fields into 29.970 frames. Vegas also does a relatively poor job re-interlacing content that originated as natively progressive.That's why you don't want to let Vegas create dirty 60i when your recording started with clean 60p or 30p footage.

Can we get back now to the problem at hand, that V11.0 64 bit Build 425 breaks the ability to render 1920x1080/60p using the Main Concept MPEG-2 plug-in?

Jeff Harper
November 2nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
I think you have your solution, unfortunately. I would suggest using the original version, or contact Sony support to see what they know, if anything. I can't imagine a workaround, other than using another codec. If it's not working, and it certainly appears to not work, than you might be stuck until the next update. They will need to know about the issue, not sure how they gather and make their list. I imagine support personnel submit/report these thing via a database to be reviewed by the software engineers. They certainly have paid attention in the first week, that's for sure.

Tom Roper
November 2nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
I agree Jeff, about everything except not sure all those bug fixes listed were in just in going from Build 371 to 425. Maybe they were but seems like some of those could have been fixes dating back to the migration from 10.0.

And I'm fine with rolling back to Buld 371. The problem would be whether or not I would ever pay for another upgrade if I thought they were abandoning support for the rendering plug-ins that I need, specifically Main Concept MPEG-2 1920x1080/60p. Would have to revisit that.

And thank you for trying to do the render! It's a big help to know the problem was not unique to my installation.

Tom Roper
November 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
One other item, a person on the Sony Vegas forum reminded me that other aspects of the Main Concept MPEG-2 plugin have been broken and not fixed going back before V11, notably the attempt to render a high bit rate file over 35 mbps can also return the unexpected error argument. I have seen that one as well. He stated and I agree with him, Main Concept has work to do on the encoder problem and Sony has work to do get the parsed error reported as to what it is, rather than just calling it unknown.

He also noted that Sony has obviously had to re-license the plugins from Main Concept since they now have added support for OpenCL GPU rendering etc. If we don't hear from Ed on this one, then I would infer that it's not a bug as much as it is an unannounced drop in support for the particular aspect of the plug-in. I would hate to see Vegas go down the path of Adobe by trying to force us to conform to a finite collection of limited rendering templates, with no customizations possible. The program is called Vegas "Pro" and we should expect to be able to customize pro features.

You can have the greatest editor in the world, but if you have to render your edited footage into sub standard output, it would seem that's what we have taking place, unfortunately.

Jeff Harper
November 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
No problem, I tried it every way I could think, just wouldn't work.

Jeff Harper
November 2nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Tom, from a professional point of view, at least for producing Bluray, it seems the ability to render 1080 60p would be disposable. Don't get me wrong, it would be a great option to have, for sure. But as a professional, what use do I have for it? Not much, if I can't deliver it as shot. If it's supported on the web, that would definitely be a practical use for it. But I don't know if it is.

There may be some advantages to shooting in 60p for down-conversion purposes, don't know, but at least in my case, I'm happy to have learned about the Bluray standard now than to continue pining for a 1080 60p camera, which I thought of as the holy grail.

You obviously have a need for being able to render to 1080 60p, and it stinks that you can't, for sure. But thanks to you I have one less thing to worry about regarding cam purchases.

On the other hand, 60p has got to become more widely accepted standard, as it is amazing to view. So I guess we'll see how things play out.

Phil Lee
November 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hi

30p isn't widely supported in displays, so it is often converted to 60p or 60i. The former is preferable from the standpoint of quality. The latter is preferable for compatibility with more displays and players but adds interlace artifacts in the conversion to it. All of the above formats can be rendered to 60i but you'll have interlace artifacts, flicker, line twitter.

30p in 60i does not introduce any quality degradation or interlace artefacts, and will still be progressive footage, it is called PsF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_Frame). 30p is supported by all HD displays and to keep things simple it is carried as PsF (30p in 60i) or frame doubled to 60p as appropriate for device outputting. Blu-ray doesn't support 30p because it doesn't need to as 30p is carried over 60i perfectly without any issues and PsF has been used in broadcasting for decades to carry progressive footage over an interlaced system.

Can we get back now to the problem at hand, that V11.0 64 bit Build 425 breaks the ability to render 1920x1080/60p using the Main Concept MPEG-2 plug-in?

I think the official specification for MPEG2 at it's 'High' level tops out at 1920x1080 at 60i, which explains why the MainConcept encoder doesn't support it. HD at 60p I don't think it was ever specified to be supported by MPEG2, I dare say some MPEG2 encoders do it anyway, but officially this is something MPEG2 doesn't support.

So how to get 1080/60p on Blu-ray? Officially you can't, the best supported official way is to create an AVCHD 2.0 disc, which should play back on any Blu-ray player supporting AVCHD 2.0, currently newer Sony players support this. AVCHD 2.0 specifies a maximum bit-rate of 28Mbits/sec, but I dare say most players will accept a higher bit-rate than that, upto around 40Mbits/sec, but I've not tested it. To get this stream you can just render using a Blu-ray template on H264 (Sony AVC probably the better option in Vegas) but switch it to 60p and a maximum bit-rate to 28Mbits/sec.

Regards

Phil

Tom Roper
November 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
I think the official specification for MPEG2 at it's 'High' level tops out at 1920x1080 at 60i, which explains why the MainConcept encoder doesn't support it. HD at 60p I don't think it was ever specified to be supported by MPEG2, I dare say some MPEG2 encoders do it anyway, but officially this is something MPEG2 doesn't support.

MPEG-2 h.262 Main Profile High Level (MP@HL) supports up to 1920x1152, up to 60 frames per second, up to 80 mbps.

It had the support in Build 371 and lost the support in Build 425.

Tom Bostick
November 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Ok so i guess ill have to reformat, because now when i click render as vegas crashes every single time with the new update :(

Jeff Harper
November 2nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Ouch. Sorry about your luck, that sucks. I had just ordered and received a new hard drive for my OS within a day of the Vegas 11 release, I was lucky in a way, I had a clean install anyway to work from.

Keep in mind, in case you have issues, Tom. I speak as someone who used to routinely reinstall windows every month or two just to keep it running like new (I was ridiculously obsessive, and I understand that now).

Sometimes even a fresh install of Windows won't run right and has to be done a second time. My current installation is running a little weird, and I'm thinking I have to redo the whole thing, but I'm trying to avoid it.

Like sometimes when I power up, things freeze for a few minutes. The most surefire way to get a good install is to do a complete format of the entire drive, not just the quickie format that Windows installation does. That leaves behind all kinds of stuff. Technically a quick format should do the trick, but it doesn't always. This time I didn't do the complete format, I was lazy and in a hurry, and I'm already sorry.

Dror Levi
November 3rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
OK Jeff.
I'll give it a try, I will go a head and re-install windows.

Jeff Harper
November 3rd, 2011, 08:03 AM
Dror, if you know how, try your best to do a long format on your drive, not the quick one. Your installation will be more assured to really be a good one.

After you have all of your drivers installed, defragment your hard drive. Then Install Vegas first, before any other major programs. Good luck!

Gerald Webb
November 3rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
Jeff,
I, like so many others, am still having issues with Cineform files in Vegas 11, have all/most of the problems gone now with your clean install?
I'm still getting crashes when scrolling to open the timeline, other crashes as well, but that is the main one.
Really dont want to do a clean install :{