View Full Version : de-interlace options

Lewis Lehman
August 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
my question is when, and with what.
should i de-interlace my sequence before or after export to compressor or quick time?

Will a third party FCP plug-in do a better job than the included filters? there seems to be so many options and they all sound good...

I've tried so many settings going from HDV to DVD. I have found that progrsssive helps with HDV's other problems.

I could rant for a while on the frustration and learning curve for a new technology but mentioning it is enough.

Thanks in advance.

Lewis

Graeme Nattress
August 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Lewis,

Try out my Film Effects package - www.nattress.com which does every kind of de-interlace, and more, and 24p simulation and beautiful gamma curves to give your video depth and drama.

Graeme

Zach Mull
August 30th, 2005, 10:21 AM
The third party plug-ins definitely do a better job than FCP's built-in deinterlace. Nattress Smart De-interlace is what I use, and I love it. Joe's filters also makes an adaptive de-interlace filter. If you're using Compressor to encode MPEG-2 then I recommend that you de-interlace in Final Cut before you render your QuickTime reference. Compressor's preprocessing functions have not worked well for me.

Steve Nunez
August 30th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Have you tried the freeware app called Mpeg Streamclip? It does a fantastic job of de-interlacing video I've shopt with the FX1- give it a try!

Lewis Lehman
August 31st, 2005, 01:58 AM
Free is always the best price!!

I'm interested in Graeme's film filters for DV so I'll probably go with his set. The price is still very competitive. Not to mention he's local.

Thanks for the advice on de-interlacing in FCP. You saved me some testing time and headache.

Lewis