View Full Version : Matte Box - perfect!

Chris Sgaraglino
November 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I occasionally run into issues with stadium light - and mid-day sun - so I went on the hunt for a Matte Box and boy was I shocked at how much they cost!

So after some research and a few calls, I settled on the Cavision 3x3 Matte Box w/ 2 Filter Holders and a French Flag.

Wish List | B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/wl/43C60AF375) All three items for $214.40

Cavision thought it might have a little vignetting, but I am here to tell you, even at its widest opening, there is none!

One note - the flag only works on the regular MB385P not the Wide Angle.

Here are some photos:

James Kuhn
November 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Chris...nice rig! Great recommendation for a 'Matte Box'. I remember getting a 'Matte Box' for my Rollei 6000i 2.25" 'stills' camera, the price was 'shocking' to say the least.

That is a decent price and it works.

Regards,

J.

Tom Hardwick
November 8th, 2011, 08:20 AM
The only downer is that all the Cavision hoods I've seen aren't 16:9. Come to that they aren't even 4:3 - the one I had was nearer 4:3.5. Why, Cavision?

But I like the look of your attached monitor Chris. Tell me - is it better in sunlight than the useless NX5's top screen? And what make is it?

tom.

Chris Sgaraglino
November 8th, 2011, 08:43 AM
If there's no vengetting does it really matter?

The monitor is a 5" HDMI LCD and it works awesome, especially when you "have" to shoot in mid-day sun.

However, I do have the Sony LCD Hood that works amazingly well.
Sony SHL-32WBP LCD Hood - for 3.2" LCD Panel SH-L32WBP B&H

Tom Hardwick
November 8th, 2011, 08:48 AM
It does matter. Hods are aspet ratio (or petal) shaped for very good reason.
So, does your monitor have a name and web link?

Chris Sgaraglino
November 8th, 2011, 08:55 AM
See that's where I get confused...
I have scoured these threads for information on Matte Boxes specifically 4:3 vs 16:9 and while I understand the physical aspects - in real world use - I was not able to find anyone having any issues as far back as 2003.

The monitor is:
Amazon.com: Lilliput 569gl-50np/h/y 5" On-camera Hd LCD Field Monitor w/ Hdmi in Component in Video in Video Out +Shoe Mount+du21 Battery and Charger by VIVITEQ INC: Electronics

James S. Davis
November 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Nice looking rig, Chris. What zoom controller are you using. and are you happy with it? I have seen some of your football videos. I am shooting soccer and a good controllers seems a very important part of the kit.

Chris Sgaraglino
November 9th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I am using a VeriZoom LANC

VariZoom VZRock Variable-Rocker for LANC Camcorders VZ-ROCK B&H

and it is a must for all the sports I have shot!

James S. Davis
November 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the quick response Chris, 4 minutes.

I do wish that this forum was a bit busier, as every time that a good topic comes up there are a few of you shooters that have time with the NX5U offer some great insight.

James Kuhn
November 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Chris...sorry to go OT, but how do you like the little 'mini-ball' monitor adaptor?

J.

Bill Rankin
November 12th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Chris,

This flag setup that you listed in your first post works with the NX5 cam at both the wide AND telephoto lengths?

Chris Sgaraglino
November 15th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Chris...sorry to go OT, but how do you like the little 'mini-ball' monitor adaptor?

J.

Sorry for the delay J - just got back from shooting a film.

The bullhead that came with thT e monitor is cheap-china kind of thing... While it does work and function, I had a Cullmann CB2.7 mini-ball head and I am now using it instead.

Cullmann CB2.7 Mini Ballhead CU 40027 B&H Photo Video

Chris Sgaraglino
November 15th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Chris,

This flag setup that you listed in your first post works with the NX5 cam at both the wide AND telephoto lengths?

Yes, Bill works perfect... I can lower the flag quite a bit before I start seeing it int the frame.

James Kuhn
November 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks Chris! I appreciate the info.

J.