View Full Version : Help with optical alignment

Eugen Oprina
November 10th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone,
For the first time today, I have assembled my Hurricane rig.
I am using two JVC GY HD 251 cameras + AJA HI5 3D and thanks to one of the Tim Dashwood's posts I succeeded to synchronise the two cameras. The problem I have is that I cannot optically align the two cameras :(. I mean to perfectly align them. I wonder if the Fujinon 16X5,5 lens is the problem or the mechanic alignment of the rig. Of course it might be my fault but I have succeeded to align several times the P+S rig. The thing is that I reach at a point where the center of the image is OK but the margins are horizontally shifted, just horizontally :(.
Any advice is very welcome.
Thanks,
Eugen

Eugen Oprina
November 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Problem solved :).
It was one of the lenses which was zooming in a fraction beeing in manual mode. I can't explain what is wrong with it but switching off manual mode the lens stayed wide open. Second thing was that in the Hurricane rig video was no information about the posibility of tilting one of the cameras in order to modify the angle between the optical axis. Thanks God a friend of mine found the way to solve the problem.
Best,
Eugen

Alister Chapman
November 13th, 2011, 05:44 AM
The Hurricane rig does not tilt the cameras, it uses a tilting mirror instead. This is explained at 09.55 in the alignment section of the video:

How To Assemble a Genus Hurricane 3D Rig - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRndPXcnBDw)

If you still have any issues please feel free to PM me directly.