View Full Version : Need a wireless handheld mic to match my Sony URX-P2.

Patrick Janka
November 17th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I have 2 sets of this package: Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Lavalier Microphone Package UWP-V1/3032 B&H

I'd like to get a wireless handheld mic. I know Sony makes this mic: Sony UTX-H2 Wireless Handheld Transmitter UTX-H2/3032 B&H Photo. From their package deals I see that it is paired with the URX-P2 receiver, so I know they would be compatible. With these wireless systems do the transmitter and receiver have to be designed to work together, or would it be possible to buy from another manufacturer and get it to work with my existing receiver? If so, what are some good alternate options for mics to go with my receiver?

On a side note, I've never fully understood how to operate the Sony UWP-V1 package. Does anyone own this set that could maybe direct me to a video or better written tutorial than the one that comes with it? Thanks.

Adam Gold
November 18th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I just got the UWP-v1 and had it up and running within minutes. What questions do you have? I'll concede the manual isn't very clear about how to set the frequencies. Maybe I can help.

I got the 42/44 version. In my area, the Sennheiser charts showed that channel 43 was vacant, so following the instructions in the manual I set channel 43 on the receiver, then also following the instructions had it scan for the first clear frequency on that channel. Then I powered on the transmitter and, following the instructions in the manual, set that frequency on the transmitter. After that, it's a matter of turning them both on when you want to record. And making sure it's plugged into the cam (or whatever your recording device is).

Sony is famous for its inscrutable manuals.

John Willett
November 18th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I have 2 sets of this package: Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Lavalier Microphone Package UWP-V1/3032 B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553681-REG/Sony_UWP_V1_3032_UWP_V1_Wireless_Lavalier_Microphone.html)

I'd like to get a wireless handheld mic. I know Sony makes this mic: Sony UTX-H2 Wireless Handheld Transmitter UTX-H2/3032 B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/570264-REG/Sony_UTX_H2_3032_UTX_H2_Wireless_Handheld_Transmitter.html). From their package deals I see that it is paired with the URX-P2 receiver, so I know they would be compatible. With these wireless systems do the transmitter and receiver have to be designed to work together, or would it be possible to buy from another manufacturer and get it to work with my existing receiver? If so, what are some good alternate options for mics to go with my receiver?

On a side note, I've never fully understood how to operate the Sony UWP-V1 package. Does anyone own this set that could maybe direct me to a video or better written tutorial than the one that comes with it? Thanks.

You have to have the matching Sony - you cannot (in most cases) use a transmitter from one manufacturer and a receiver from another.

Nowadays they tend to use noise reduction and every manufacturer uses a different one - and sometimes even different ones from the same manufacturer for cheaper and more expensive systems.