View Full Version : HPX250 zoom slack?

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
November 20th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Anyone know if the zoom slack issue is still an issue with this camera? I heard it has a "real lens" so I am assuming we can get nice creeps as if it was a real lens - none of that hvx 200 BS. The pdx10 I own can do creeps just as good as a real lens (fuji/canon).

David Heath
November 21st, 2011, 02:32 AM
I heard it has a "real lens" so I am assuming we can get nice creeps as if it was a real lens - none of that hvx 200 BS.
Have you read what's been said in this thread - http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/500215-new-pannie-hpx250-info-3.html#post1687132?

I haven't seen a 250 in the flesh yet, but the focus and iris both operate via a servo mechanism, not direct coupling. Hence I'd be pretty amazed if it's as good operationally as people have come to expect from the EX1 and XF300, let alone cameras in higher price brackets.

Ken Plotin
November 21st, 2011, 10:06 PM
The 250,160&130 seem to have the same type of manual/servo mechanical switch as my older DVX100A and the HVX200.
You'll never get a smooth start when you zoom out from full tele because of this. The servo has only a few speeds, and the gearing literally has to "click in" at the start of the zoom. You can try to "pre-load" the zoom (pull out a bit before the actual zoom attempt), but this doesn't always work, and certainly not if you are looking for a slow on-air creep out during an interview, for example. I've always felt that this was a poor design decision: trading repeatable zoom numbers vs smooth crawls.
I always use the manual zoom setting...coming from film,this just seems more reliable to me.

That aside, the 160 will likely be my next camera. The picture quality, long zoom with CAC, 28mm wide angle (35mm equivalent), NTSC/PAL ready, 3 year warranty and variable frame rates are really great at this price point.
Hope this helps.
Ken

David Heath
November 22nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
The 250,160&130 seem to have the same type of manual/servo mechanical switch .........

That aside, the 160 will likely be my next camera. The ......
The lens is pretty much what I'd expect for the money on such as the 160 - comparable to such as the NX5.

But the 250 is a higher priced, higher range model, pitched more as a competitor to the EX1 and Canon XF305, and in this respect compares badly.

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
November 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
The 250,160&130 seem to have the same type of manual/servo mechanical switch as my older DVX100A and the HVX200.
You'll never get a smooth start when you zoom out from full tele because of this. The servo has only a few speeds, and the gearing literally has to "click in" at the start of the zoom. You can try to "pre-load" the zoom (pull out a bit before the actual zoom attempt), but this doesn't always work, and certainly not if you are looking for a slow on-air creep out during an interview, for example. I've always felt that this was a poor design decision: trading repeatable zoom numbers vs smooth crawls.
I always use the manual zoom setting...coming from film,this just seems more reliable to me.

That aside, the 160 will likely be my next camera. The picture quality, long zoom with CAC, 28mm wide angle (35mm equivalent), NTSC/PAL ready, 3 year warranty and variable frame rates are really great at this price point.
Hope this helps.
Ken

So why does Sony get it right with their low-end cameras. Never have I had an issue with a comparable Sony model.

Ken Plotin
November 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
The low end Sony's (and pretty much all other "consumerish" cameras) are not a "mechanical linkage" in the same sense. They're "all servo...all the time".
The "lower end" Pana DVC30 and new Hi-def 40 have a silky smooth zoom controller in both directions that creeps out beautifully. Different servo and design concept from the DVX/HVX series.

If you have invested in P2 already and/or need what the the AVC INTRA codec offers, the 250 is a great choice.
Hope this helps.
Ken

David Heath
November 24th, 2011, 04:15 AM
The low end Sony's (and pretty much all other "consumerish" cameras) are not a "mechanical linkage" in the same sense. They're "all servo...all the time".
Agreed - it's what I meant with " The lens is pretty much what I'd expect for the money on such as the 160 - comparable to such as the NX5.
If you have invested in P2 already and/or need what the the AVC INTRA codec offers, the 250 is a great choice.
Yes, agreed again. An obvious reason for going with the 250 would be as a "B" camera to a 2/3" P2 camera. Same media, same workflow.

If starting from scratch I'd say the XF305 or EX were better overall - and it's the more true "manual" nature of the lens that is one of the big reasons. The XF305 has the full broadcast codec, but only 1/3" chips, whereas the EX has the 1/2" chips. Put the XDCAM 422 into the EX and that would be the obvious head and shoulders winner.

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
December 15th, 2011, 07:07 AM
The "lower end" Pana DVC30 and new Hi-def 40 have a silky smooth zoom controller in both directions that creeps out beautifully. Different servo and design concept from the DVX/HVX series.

Hope this helps.
Ken

Looking at Panasonic's lower end, are those the only two cameras that sport that or are there others that might have a nice slow zoom?