View Full Version : What Monitor are you using for Colour referencing?

Graham Bernard
November 30th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Having now slithered into HD, and 422 colour space from my CanonXF, I'm wishing to attach a monitor that will be as honest with colour fidelity and detail as my now aged JVC 15" still remains.

Budget? £300 < Monitor < £500 . . . . but I'm open to suggestions.

TIA

Grazie

Leslie Wand
November 30th, 2011, 03:36 AM
i reckon any 'good' ips panel* and a spyder.

keep your crt hand though for checking dvd's - nothing like NOT seeing interlace problems....

*i use a couple of viewsonic panels and an lg.

Graham Bernard
November 30th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Thanks Leslie. Much appreciated.

Grazie

Gerald Webb
November 30th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I just un-boxed this one yesterday afternoon,
Dell UltraSharp U2711 27 inch Monitor with PremierColour Details | Dell Australia (http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/enterprise/monitor/monitor-dell-u2711/pd.aspx?refid=monitor-dell-u2711&cs=aulca1&s=lca)
I have to say, it is magnificent.
It comes with a factory tuned color report. Does that mean if I set it to sRGB, it should be true? Or would a Spyder still be necessary?
The extra screen space is huge, at 2560 x 1440 Vegas now has so much more available room, I could go back to editing on one monitor with this baby.
Ill prob still run out of the Blackmagic card and into a standard LCD TV for CC. It seems to show me exactly what I see after I burn a disc and watch on the plasma.
Nothing like an early Christmas :)

David Jimerson
November 30th, 2011, 03:29 PM
You should be color correcting on the kind of screen which you intend the video to be seen. If it's never going to be seen on anything but a computer monitor, then a well-calibrated computer monitor is fine. But if you're going to view it on some sort of TV, you should be previewing to a device of that type.

Graham Bernard
November 30th, 2011, 04:16 PM
David what are you using?

G

Magnus Helander
November 30th, 2011, 05:27 PM
This week I unboxed a 24" Eizo CG243W after reading a lot of positive comments on this forum.
Extraordinary colours and presets for sRGB as well as ITU Rec 709

Loading the sRGB testchart from HD Testchart (http://www.belle-nuit.com/testchart.html) - it's great to add this a few frames in the beginning or end of draft/review renders to make sure codec, Vegas and the media player understand each other.

/m