View Full Version : GoPro HD Hero 2 external mics

John Dimasii
December 10th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Anybody use the external mic input for the Hero 2 yet? Any ideas for a cheap stereo mic or is it worth trying to find a 5pin xlr to 3.5mm adapter to fit a more expensive stereo mic I already have? Can the Hero 2 handle a pro mic or is it going to be to hot for the device? I'm trying to come up with an idea of a mic I can place in a formula style car that won't take up too much space and plug into the Hero 2 and still be better than the Hero 2 on board mic. I was considering the Audio-Technica - Pro-24CM for around $60 but it gets mixed reviews. I have and old Audio Technica AT825 which is a good mic but it has the 5 pin output which I have a 5pin to dual 3 pin xlr y cable to get into my regular cam. I was thinking about just buying a dual 3 pin female to 3.5mm to put into Hero 2. This may work but the car is going to be cluttered with cable adapters. I know there are other methods like getting a dedicated audio recorder which the mic will plug directly into and then you can sinc in post. Any help would be appreciated.

Ian Newland
December 13th, 2011, 08:09 PM
GoPro has AGC (auto gain control), no low voltage to power a mic and very poor audio record even from ext mic, so is very limited.

Grab a tiny Zoom H1 (under $100) and run you lavs or ext mic into that, sync in post to the GoPro internal mic.

This what i do.