View Full Version : HPX502 control buttons stopped working

David Cleverly
December 12th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Hi all,

After three years of trouble-free service, my 502 has decided to throw a spanner in the works of my very busy pre-Christmas schedule.

Today on a news shoot I tried to go from CAM mode to MCR mode to review my files and delete some that were no longer needed. Much to my dismay, I could not get a reaction from the MODE button, nor the MENU button and subsequently the HOLD, COUNTER and RESET buttons, nor the USER 1 and USER 2 buttons. I have taken the battery from the camera in an attempt to reset it to no avail.

I can still record pictures but, because I cannot access the menus, I cannot change the format of the video I am shooting, nor watch video playback, delete files or even format cards!! I can't do a reinstall of the firmware because I cannot get into PC mode!

Has anyone else had this problem and had it repaired? Is there a way on this camera that I can do a "factory Reset" or something similar?

Many thanks in advance,

DC

Tom Klein
December 13th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Hi David,
I have the older SPX800 P2 and touch wood only prob i ever had was the Flip out screen ribbon cable gave it in after 4years of service, It's still my current kit, and still gives great SD pics.
May I suggest you take the side off the HPX502 cam and check that the control ribbon cables are not loose or broken, it's not rocket science, I did the flip out screen cable instal with just a phillips screwdriver.
If nothing's obvious, call Pana service, they will help you out.

If it's firmware related you'll definitely have to do the pana service shuffle.

Cheers from Vic
Tom K

David Cleverly
December 13th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Thanks Tom,

Insight at Artarmon in Sydney have it currently and - as usual - Ray has given me excellent service.

He has found that it is a board in the camera that has suddenly died. Panasonic have told me there is only one other known case of this problem. Thank goodness I did the PASS thing - I have 5 years warranty on the camera, so I am covered.

The board is on its way from Melbourne and - here's hoping - I should have it back in my hands by the weekend.

Cheers and thanks for the reply.

DC

Tom Klein
December 13th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Hmmmm, That's unusual,
A friend of mine has a 502, only hassel he had was that he slammed a card in too hard one day and did some pin socket damage I believe, (just replaced the card slot part) other than that they are pretty well bullet proof.
I treat mine with great respect , and it has given me fantastic returns, now well over 6 year old it may see me to retirement.

Goodluck with the fix
Cheers
Tom K.

David Cleverly
December 13th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks.

Much to my dismay, the eject button on my P2 Store also gave up the ghost on the very same day!!

Some days are diamonds... :-)

DC