View Full Version : File type options with the Ki Pro Mini?

Bruce S. Yarock
January 24th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Last week I rented a Ki Pro Mini from Abel Cine for a 4 day shoot. I am shooting primarily on the Sony FS100, but the client wanted the files as Pro Res 4:2:2. We backed the files up to 2 drives for him via Macbook Pro, since he planned to do his own editing. I really liked using the KPM, and was wondering how we could use it in our editing workflow.
We edit in Adobe CS5, and normally capture the FS100 clips via the supplied Sony managment program directly into CS5. How would we use the KPM on our own editing system? Does it produce anything other than Pro Res, or would we have to somehow convert the pro res files in order to edit in CS5?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Jon Thorn
January 24th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Bruce Y. - Since the Ki Pro Mini records to Apple ProRes 422, which is a QuickTime codec, most non-linear edit systems can work with the material. You don't state whether you are working on Windows OS or Mac OS with respect to your Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 editing system; either OS should work if you have a recent enough version of QuickTime installed that can decode Apple ProRes 422. If you have an older version of QuickTime installed, Apple provides Apple ProRes Decoders for both Windows and Mac (they are available for download from the Apple website).

Note that if you are using a Windows OS editing system, there are other considerations related to the formatting of the media. The Ki Pro Mini media is formatted HFS+ which is native to Mac OS. Support for HFS+ can be added to Windows OS via software tools such as Mediafour's MacDrive. A specific card reader is also recommended if you are working on Windows and using CF card media from the Ki Pro Mini:
Amazon.com: Syba Best Connectivity 2.5" SATA/USB 2.0 to Compact Flash Adapter: Electronics
Other CF card readers may work on Windows, but many of them make bad assumptions about how the media is formatted.

If you are working on the Mac OS, all of this is transparent; the media just mounts instantly without any additional software requirements and a wide variety of card readers may be used.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Bruce S. Yarock
January 26th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the reply, Joe.
We edit on PC on CS5.
I was really impreesed tith the Ki Pro Mini, and alo with the rental company, Abel Cine.
I'll research the program you mentioned.
Bruce Yarock