View Full Version : Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Firmware

Paul Kapp
February 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Hyperdeck Shuttle 2.0 RC 2
As we know, since the release of the Shuttle 2, there has been the ability to record DNxHD.mxf files,
as well as in the previous Uncompressed Quicktime.mov format.
These DNxHD.mxf files are only imported natively in Avid MC or, using Calibrated{Q}MXF Import, the files can be imported into other non Avid NLE's.

This thread is to track new firmware and share the latest information.

Paul Kapp
February 24th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Hyperdeck Shuttle 2.5 Beta Firmware.

With the release of Beta 2.5 Firmware, there is now the added ability to:

1. record in DNxHD.mov files
2. read and playback timecode from the camera through it's SDI link.
3. trigger Shuttle record through the SDI link.
record trigger has 2 options, by start/stop flags in SDI, and by detection of incoming timecode increment.

SDI record trigger seems to require that if the Shuttle has just been switched on, the stop button on the Shuttle needs to be pressed once first before record by timecode trigger will work.

I have had trouble with timecode displaying on an SDI monitor(VFM-056wp) when playing back Shuttle DNxHD.mov files.
The timecode only flashes between 00:00:00:00 and the actual starting tc, e.g, 01:28:36:24

Paul Kapp
February 24th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Not much documentation on this update.
Only that it fixes a bug where some OS's could not see the Hyperdeck Utility options properly.

Paul Kapp
February 24th, 2012, 09:09 AM
These fantastic new features are welcome news for Shuttle users.
My preliminary tests with DNxHD.mov show that it imports into Premiere CS 5.5 for windows with ease, and includes 16 audio tracks, 14 too many for me, but not complaining.
Also includes a timecode track.
No video artifacts noticable so far, nor audio sync issues.

Bill Koehler
February 24th, 2012, 11:47 AM
With the latest firmware release is the CalibratedMXF software still needed?

Allan Barnwell
February 24th, 2012, 11:54 AM
The only additional piece of software needed to use the files off the HyperDeck Shuttle 2 is the free DNxHD QuickTime codec available from Avid's website.

Remember - the HyperDeck Shuttle 2 still uses the micro SDI connectors - so if you need adapter cables, we keep stock of those too.

Anyone needing one of these units and accessories can visit us online.

Omega Broadcast Group - Professional Video Sales, Rental & Services (http://www.omegabroadcast.com)

Paul Kapp
February 24th, 2012, 07:18 PM
With the latest firmware release is the CalibratedMXF software still needed?

No it's not necessary, as Allan says, only Avid Quicktime Codecs:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=423319

Jay Bloomfield
February 24th, 2012, 09:38 PM
It's been confirmed by BMD that the Beta 2.5 releases have a bug which prevents the playback of the DNxHD MXF files only via SDI out. It will supposedly be corrected in the final release of the firmware. The 2.0 release did not have the bug.

Jay Bloomfield
March 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Hyperdeck software 2.5 beta 3 now available, but only for the Mac:

Blackmagic Design: Support Detail (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/?os=mac&sid=3960&pid=3968&leg=false)

Steve Kimmel
March 1st, 2012, 01:36 PM
Uh oh. What happened to beta 2.5 for Windows?

Never mind, found it:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/?os=win&sid=3960&pid=3968&leg=false

Jay Bloomfield
March 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
This beta version 3 supposedly fixes the bug that I mentioned in post # 8 above.

Paul Kapp
March 6th, 2012, 08:07 AM
2.5 Beta 3 for Windows out since 1st of March and addresses the MXF no replay bug.

Zach Love
May 2nd, 2012, 04:52 PM
With the release of Beta 2.5 Firmware, there is now the added ability to:

1. record in DNxHD.mov files

Does this correct the gamma shift issues? Will this play nice with FCP7, or would it be best still to transcode to ProRes?

Liam Kennedy
May 12th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Just setup my Hyperdeck Studio.

Issue #1

I wanted to use the (possibly still BETA) feature to allow DNxHD in MOV format.

Although I see tons of references to the Beta firmware - I have not been able to find out how I can download and install this firmware. I've searched for anything about this on th Blackmagic site (and Google of course) and so far I have found nothing.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the firmware?

Issue #2

When I fist setup my HyperDeck I installed the software which came with the unit. It's version 2.0. After installing that I verified I could selct the DNxHD (MXF) format using the Hyperdeck Utility.

I then noticed that a 3.0 version of the software is available on the BM site - so I installed that. Since doing that my PC can no longer see the Hyperdeck Studio.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix that?

Thanks!!

Liam Kennedy
May 12th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I installed the 3.0 software onto another laptop - and now EVERYTHING is working. Something must have happened with the install on the first laptop - no idea what.

After installing the 3.0 software on this other machine I was prompted to install a new firmware... and after that my HyperDeck connected just find - and I was able to choose the MOV version for DNxHD. Ran a test record and verified I can now access these files without any issue. All looks good.

Thanks.

Jay Bloomfield
May 17th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Firmware 3.01 is out, but it only has an improvement for Prores 720p on the Hyperdeck Studio.

Paul Kapp
September 7th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Good news. BMD is to add an ExFat file system option to the Shuttle:
Blackmagic Design: View Press Release (http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/pressdetails?releaseID=32223)
This will make life easier for non apple users and allow a completely apple free workflow using DNxHD.

Bill Koehler
September 16th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Good news. BMD is to add an ExFat file system option to the Shuttle:
Blackmagic Design: View Press Release (http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/pressdetails?releaseID=32223)
This will make life easier for non apple users and allow a completely apple free workflow using DNxHD.

Given exFAT is natively supported on both the Mac and Windows platforms, I would say it is a better option than HFS+. You now have something you can hand off to someone else without having to even ask, Mac or PC?

Chris Barcellos
September 16th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Dang it. This was my first complaint about Shuttle. Just laid out $50.00 for MacDrive when I got my new used Shuttle Friday. Good thing about this new announcement is I will be able to offload to my lap top, now, as I don't need another MAC drive program for it--- so may require less SSD cards on a shoot.

Zach Mull
October 2nd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Could any of you who are using the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 with the exFAT/DNxHD workflow tell me whether the Shuttle records spanned clips? My company has been working with a NanoFlash, which uses FAT32 only, and we'd like to replace it with something that doesn't impose a file size limit on each take. I was guessing that since the Shuttle uses HFS+ or exFAT it can record long takes in a single .mov or MXF. I know this is a very basic question, but I'd appreciate the help since I can't find an answer through Google or a forum search and my local reseller had no clue.

Chris Barcellos
October 2nd, 2012, 05:19 PM
Speaking of the update, have I missed it somewhere. Or is this just like the BMCC a date really means nothing.

Jay Bloomfield
October 9th, 2012, 08:11 PM
The Hyperdeck software version 3.5 came out a few days ago. It supports exFAT SSDs (and quite seamlessly, I might add). I uninstalled MacDrive, probably never to see it again.

Paul Kapp
December 5th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Hyperdeck 3.6
I just discovered there's been an update that allows ProRes recording on the Shuttle.
Even though I am not an apple fan, and considering that ProRes is a copy of the DNxHD idea, I tried it and my first impression is it seems to be considerably better than DNxHD, has less noise and better colour.
I'm also appreciating the exFAT file format as I can get rid of Macdrive which was dodgy and unreliable.

This will make it much easier to give footage to clients and avoid compatibility issues.
Not that I have many clients but the most recent shoot I did involved a drama when it came to clients viewing footage on their Macs.
Apple, explain to me why Shuttle DNxHD.mov footage can't be viewed in FCP with the latest Avid codecs installed.

Nice work BMD.

Nate Haustein
December 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I tried it and my first impression is it seems to be considerably better than DNxHD, has less noise and better colour.

Interesting, I've heard the opposite favoring DNxHD. I'll need to test both of them out. DNxHD works in FCP for me, but I feel like the computer has to work harder to play it. Maybe I'm just imagining things.