View Full Version : Hopefully stupid MC6 question

Benjamin Maas
March 15th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I've been editing on Premiere CS5 for a couple years now. Overall, I like the software, but I'm getting frustrated at the limit of 4 cameras in the multicam editing model. I do concert shoots where larger numbers of cameras are not uncommon. (for example, I just did a shoot last week with 7 cameras).

How many cameras does the multicam mode in MC6 support? How easy is it to edit large numbers of cameras?

Thanks!

--Ben

Noa Put
March 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM
This doesn't answer your question in regard to MC6 but just to give you some extra info to think about, Edius 6 allows you to use 16 camera's and editing a multicam project is easy as pie, way more efficient then what adobe premiere is offering now.

Roger Van Duyn
March 19th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I've been editing on Premiere CS5 for a couple years now. Overall, I like the software, but I'm getting frustrated at the limit of 4 cameras in the multicam editing model. I do concert shoots where larger numbers of cameras are not uncommon. (for example, I just did a shoot last week with 7 cameras).

How many cameras does the multicam mode in MC6 support? How easy is it to edit large numbers of cameras?

Thanks!

--Ben
I'm not sure the maximum cameras in Media Composer but there are two views available, the quad view (4 cameras) that I use, and a nine camera view. So you can use at least nine, in just one view.

If that's not enough, I've seen mention (by using Google search) of having multiple banks of cameras in Multicam mode. But that's beyond me.

I'm still on MC 5.5.3, and the multicam mode works well for me. Quick and intuitive.

Benjamin Maas
March 19th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Awesome- that is exactly what I need to know.

Most of these shows that I've been doing lately have been right around 5-8 cameras. I've been pretty happy with Premiere but as much as I like it (and it is generally pretty fast to use), there are definitely limitations. Through a couple jobs that I work, I qualify for academic pricing for MC6 and can purchase it for a song. I've been seriously looking at giving it a go and seeing how it compares for me. I'm a long time Pro Tools user so I kind of know what to expect from Avid products.

--Ben

Roger Van Duyn
March 20th, 2012, 07:08 AM
You can always give the thirty day free trial a whirl.