View Full Version : DVD quality bad during scenes containing effects

Nick Brandestini
September 7th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Hi there

I exported my 50-minute 1080 50i HDV project (filmed with a PAL Sony Z1) on a DVD directly from the Premiere timeline. It worked, but the quality is bad (jittery movements), mainly in the scenes containing "effects" such as color correction (also the ones from Aspect HD), Magic Bullet filters, slowmotion, ... The normal, untouched scenes look more or less ok.

I have Aspect HD 3.2 and used the so-called high-quality constant bitrate preset for the encoding/export. (I once tried variable, but an error message came and the encoding was stopped - I'll try again) Playing the film out on HDV tape is no problem. The quality is great there.

Where could the problem be? Something with the lower/upper field issue? Would variable bitrate be much better? Is it an Adobe encoder problem? Or is it a known bug ???

Thanks for any advice (e.g. which settings to use). (I'd rather not install any new plug-ins or updates as everything else finally works basically ok now and I don't want to take any chances)

Nick

David Newman
September 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM
That is an Adobe bug, not an CineForm issue. There is a work-around; I just gave that here (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=50642) for the same issue.

Nick Brandestini
September 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks.

I tried that, but I cannot watch the file it created. I get the following message after a few seconds "The CineForm decoder has encountered an error". This looked familiar and has probably something to do with that codec/sound issue (see my older problem we discussed in this forum).

However, I noticed that there is another CineForm export option under the Adobe encoder export. Are there any other ways I can get a good DVD? Your help is much appreciated!

David Newman
September 7th, 2005, 02:12 PM
You don't want to use that old "HDV" exporter (which standard with 1.5.1) as it de-interlaces all the footage. If you want a deinterlaced result you would get better result again using "CineForm HD Export." Unfortunately I can't make other recommendations until you somehow solve the weirdness with your PC -- it sounds to me you have a partial install. Please continue to seek help with technical support.