View Full Version : LCD Monitor for 5D?

Silas Barker
March 30th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hi Guys,
I have the 5D mark2 and thinking about getting the Mark3 -

Also thinking about getting a monitor for helping to pull focus, can you guys suggest one that runs on batteries for all day shoots?

Also - Getting actual brightness and colors from the 5D would be nice (I am not sure how it works but I have a cheap monitor right now and if you change the brightness of the screen the recorded image is all off)

Maybe a Marshall Monitor?

Thanks!

Les Wilson
March 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I haven't bought one but I've shopped it. I like the Zacuto EVF with the Z-Finder Pro. That gives you the option of using it as a VF. THe SmallHD DP4 is another popular one (also has a loupe like the Z-Finder) I see mentioned here by people. Search on those two here on DVInfo and you'll find a plethora of information.

Silas Barker
March 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I guess I should mention that the Peaking thing is something I really want, and I already have the Zacuto Zoom Piece which is great but still hard to pull focus sometimes. The monitor would also allow other crew members to see whats going on....

Brian Brown
March 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM
SmallHD also makes the DP6. It's a different beast altogether than the EVFs from them or Zacuto, since it's so much larger, but much higher-definition. 1280x800 native vs. only 800x480 for their DP4.

5.6in 1280x800 On-Camera Field Monitor - the DP6 by SmallHD (http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP6.html)

Something to consider...

Silas Barker
March 30th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Smaller then 7" Marshall? More Expensive? No Peaking? No thanks? Lol haha thanks anyways

Brian Brown
March 30th, 2012, 04:13 PM
The 7" Marshalls are 800x480, also. But if you want to dismiss something that has over 3 TIMES the resolution because of its cost, go right ahead. Size isn't everything.

And check the specs. And the SmallHD does have focus assist, exposure assist, 1:1 pixel mapping, etc.

I OWN a 7" Marshall but will be UPgrading to the DP6 soon.

Silas Barker
March 30th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I did not see peaking in the specs but I'll check again, thanks for letting me know that!

Do you think the higher resolution will matter much as far as the 5D which I understand puts out a SD signal while recording?

Robert Turchick
March 30th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I have the SmallHD EVF and my buddy has the DP6. Both have peaking and false color, HDMI loop-thrus for your client monitor and are very good for pulling focus. I chose the EVF since I do a lot of outdoor stuff and my buddy tends to do indoor.
The 5DmkIII stays HD while recording.
We both own Zacuto Z-finders for our 7D's and they work well but limit where you can put the camera as they are attached to it. They work great on a shoulder rig.
I am toying with getting the Jag35 remote follow focus. that would allow me to use the 5DmkIII on my crane! And if I get really creative, my Glidecam! I'll look like a Borg with the EVF attached to the vest!
Anyway, SmallHD is good stuff.

Silas Barker
March 30th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Interesting....
Is the Viewfinder or a monitor better for Pulling Focus you think?

The Monitor/EVF looks pretty good now that I see the full specs :
SmallHD - Innovative - Affordable - High Definition Field Monitors backed by our Famous Customer Service (http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP4.html)

Brian Brown
March 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM
If you have the 5D2, you are indeed stuck with SD during record, and you'll be better pulling focus with marks (and a proper follow focus rig) than with your eyes. I'd prefer a monitor over a viewfinder for studio work, but prefer a viewfinder and loupe in the field. It's also more incognito that way, and less likely to get people do silly things, like mugging for the camera.

This is an expensive disease we have!

Silas Barker
March 30th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I would rather have a monitor that works in the sun myself, that way more crew members can see on the same monitor and that would be helpful for what I do. I shoot indoors and outdoors though.

You don't think that a SD signal would be very good for pulling focus with the 5D Brian?

Does anyone know if these monitors are good in the sun outside?

And does the 5Diii have SD output like the 5Dii does anyone know (during recording)?

Robert Turchick
March 30th, 2012, 07:12 PM
And does the 5Diii have SD output like the 5Dii does anyone know (during recording)?

Please read post #8

And the SmallHD monitors come with a sun hood which makes them very useable outdoors. The EVFs are better outdoors IMHO.

Silas Barker
April 1st, 2012, 02:31 PM
I have the SmallHD EVF and my buddy has the DP6. Both have peaking and false color, HDMI loop-thrus for your client monitor and are very good for pulling focus. I chose the EVF since I do a lot of outdoor stuff and my buddy tends to do indoor.
The 5DmkIII stays HD while recording.
We both own Zacuto Z-finders for our 7D's and they work well but limit where you can put the camera as they are attached to it. They work great on a shoulder rig.
I am toying with getting the Jag35 remote follow focus. that would allow me to use the 5DmkIII on my crane! And if I get really creative, my Glidecam! I'll look like a Borg with the EVF attached to the vest!
Anyway, SmallHD is good stuff.

Does the battery for the Small HD gear last long? (EVF and Monitor)
Also I know the EVF is probably better for outside, but is the monitor useable outside without a hood?
Thanks!
Silas

Brian David Melnyk
April 2nd, 2012, 02:26 AM
just used the DP6 yesterday under the intense Malian sun. the hood works great and the batteries (i use 2 5D batteries) last a long time- 4 hours i think? have never had to change batteries.
there are 2 different focus aids (i use the peaking) and false colors. the monitor automatically keeps the image full screen when hitting record with the MK2. it is possible to pull focus even when the MK2 switches to lower resolution, but i imagine with the MK3 it would be a lot easier. for wide shots it is a little challenging, but still possible, and for medium to close ups i can have confidence the shot is in focus.
as for size, i don't think it is too small. in fact, i think i wouldn't want a bigger monitor, especially when using outside the studio.
i have also used it to view footage with HDMI out of a HV30. My gal said 'WOW'. also used it XHA1 component out, and i said 'wow, how did i ever use this puny little XHA1 rinky dink tonka toy LCD??????'. but that's another story....
anyway, DP6= great monitor IMHO.

Matt Bishop
April 4th, 2012, 12:01 PM
something to consider! I bought the dp6 through this sale awhile ago and absolutely love the monitor!!!
I still don't know and can't see anything that would make it a b stock item so to me it's perfect.

SmallHD DP6-SLR B-Stock Blowout SALE (http://www.smallhd.com/site/SmallHD-DP6-SRL-B-Stock.html)

Silas Barker
April 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I am sold!

I think I 'll be getting one of the SmallHd monitors and hood! thanks guys!

Donald McPherson
April 4th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Don't forget if you load Magic Lantern you will have focus peak and magic focus box as well as a host of other benefits.

Silas Barker
April 4th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Magic Lantern gives you peaking???

I have never used it before, can you tell me more? Is it pretty good on the 5D's small screen for pulling focus?

Les Wilson
April 4th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I had written off ML as too unstable for my tastes when I looked at it last year but it appears to have had some work done on it. Caveat Emptor: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-5d-mk-ii-mk-iii-hd/505633-magic-lantern-install-advice-please.html

Silas Barker
June 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hey guys,

I am finally about to get the Canon 5D iii and Monitor

Question:
Does the Canon 5Diii put out a 1080p signal through the HDMI ?
Trying to think about how to get the highest resolution monitor signal possible mainly for focusing.

Thanks!

Donald McPherson
June 7th, 2012, 02:53 PM
but it appears to have had some work done on it. Caveat Emptor: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-5d-mk-ii-mk-iii-hd/505633-magic-lantern-install-advice-please.html

It's had a lot of improvements since last year. I advice you to check it out again you won't regret it.

Silas Barker
June 7th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I don't know very much about Magic Lantern.

But if you have the money is it better to get a HD monitor for focus pulling?
Especially for F2.8 fast lenses?

Les Wilson
June 7th, 2012, 09:40 PM
The focus peaking in ML Unified highlights the wrong stuff so that's not going to help you. There is a Magic Zoom feature that gives you a 5x blowup in a PIP. The False colors is very coarse and blocky as if it's in low resolution. So if you want ML to help you with exposure and focus, it's not that great.

I picked up a DP4. That's how you want to pull focus. They have standard peaking and something called Focus + which smacks the pants off any peaking I've used. See the videos on their website for demo.

The SmallHD DP4 false colors is hi resolution but the colors they chose are such that there's a huge black to green gradient over the range where you want to be able to tell small differences so it's almost useful.

I wrote up a critique here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/494494-new-smallhd-dp4.html

Silas Barker
June 7th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

I am guessing that the DP6 is the same as DP4 only larger and maybe....better?

Thanks!