View Full Version : New Sony HXR-NX30E Palmcorder with advanced Stabilization

Pages : [1] 2 3

Emmanuel Plakiotis
April 2nd, 2012, 03:04 AM
Sony : Sony?s new palm-sized NXCAM HD camcorder takes image stabilisation to a new level : United Kingdom (http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/press/id/1237485083410?SM=FB01_0412)

balanced Optical Steady Shot
built in projector
1/2.88 inch sensor
96GB internal memory +SD/MS
detachable XLR unit
24Mp stills !

Glen Vandermolen
April 2nd, 2012, 06:08 AM
Looks like a "pro" version of their consumer HDR-PJ760V cam.

Glen Vandermolen
April 2nd, 2012, 07:03 AM
Here's a write-up if the camera. I like the XLR module.

Sony HXR-NX30 camcorder: built-in projector, 96GB storage for $2,500 (video) -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/02/sony-hxr-nx30-camcorder/)

Ron Evans
April 2nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Price differential to the HDR-PJ760V for the extra features is more reasonable than the NX70 to the CX700. This would work well with my NX5U I think and a good replacement for my CX700. If I can lock the timecode between my NX5U and this it would be really useful. If they have implemented the manual controls of the NX70 it will be good too.

Ron Evans

edit: Having watched the video again I think it will work locking timecode to the NX5U. With both in free run and using the remote to reset to zero they will be in sync. Very nice as long as it the same remote !!! Now if only Sony would have a firmware upgrade for the NX5U for 60P !!!!

Emmanuel Plakiotis
April 2nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
If the HDR-PJ760V doesn't have the balanced OSS, (is not mentioned in the specs) then is a formidable upgrade for the price difference.

Ron Evans
April 2nd, 2012, 09:35 AM
If you mean the Balanced Optical SteadyShot. Yes the HDR-PJ760V does have it. 96GB Full HD Camcorder with Projector | HDR-PJ760V | Sony USA (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666415446#features).

Differences are the XLR audio, PCM audio, timecode, and I expect the manual controls that are available in the NX70 though we will have to wait for the full specs. Of course in typical Sony fashion these are likely all there in the consumer models anyway just not enabled.

Ron Evans

Michael Kraus
April 2nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
It looks like they intend for this to duke it out with the XA10, especially since they're pushing the image stabilization so hard (which is excellent on the XA10).

Zach Love
April 2nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
And a projector built into the camera. FINALLY!!! All it is missing is a built in mp3 player / iPod dock.

While I can't help myself tease about this, I'm also really wanting to see how well the projector would work. Maybe use a softbox or bounce board as a screen if you don't have a white wall?

Might be very valuable to some people. If it is more than just a novelty & inexpensive to put into a camera, it might be very nice to have standard on more cameras. Or build it into a stand alone device with HDMI or HD-SDI inputs.

Ron Evans
April 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
It looks like they intend for this to duke it out with the XA10, especially since they're pushing the image stabilization so hard (which is excellent on the XA10).

Yes I am sure the XA10 is the target. But I think the present CX700 OSS is very good too and the new one is supposedly 13 times better, the XA10 doesn't have 60P either. So it will have a lot of features not available on the XA10.

Ron Evans

Emmanuel Plakiotis
April 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
In the HDR-PJ760V* nomenclature they claim a 24.1Mp still capability in the 16:9 mode, yet they state that the effective sensor resolution is 6145K and the gross pixels are 6650K

96GB Full HD Camcorder with Projector | HDR-PJ760V | Sony USA (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666415446#specifications)

Does anyone know they derive a 24.1Mp photo from a 6Mp sensor?

*It applies to the NX30 since they share the same basic hardware.

Dave Blackhurst
April 2nd, 2012, 01:55 PM
interpolation...

Sony does some interesting things in the still camera line with multiple exposures overlaid to improve image quality, and I'd expect some cross polination of the technology. Still, that's a pretty agressive "up-rezz"!

This looks again like a "beefed up" version of this year's consumer cameras, with a few more features, and an XLR/mic added into the mix, plus of course an extra $1k on the price tag, and "pro" level support.

Steve Kalle
April 2nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
With this camera, the PMW-100, FS700 and free S-Log, it seems Canon really ticked off Sony and Sony is going full force against many of Canon's cameras (XA10, XF105, C300 and upcoming 4k camera).

Ron Evans
April 2nd, 2012, 04:11 PM
All they need now is a NX5U replacement to defend against the Panasonic AG AC160 with enough improvements to also go at the XF300 series at the 1/3" group and new 1/2" EX family to create a new space again.

Ron Evans

Dan Asseff
April 3rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
I will be getting the Sony HDR-CX760V is the consumer version without the projector. It looks like it might out preform my NX-5. I had to get it because my NX-5 has a lens problem that is intermittent and can't send it in right now because of jobs coming up. It comes in today from BandH. The way the lens wobbles is very interesting, Sony really thought outside the box on this one.

Dan

Ron Evans
April 3rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
My CX700 certainly gives cleaner image than my NX5U but of course does not have the controls that the NX5 has in particular it does not have gain control, no ND filters so needs an external Variable ND which I got for it. OSS is good on the CX700 so should be exceptional on the 760.

Ron Evans

Dan Asseff
April 4th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Ron,

I have been playing with the settings an the only thing you want that is not on this camera is ND filters. It has peaking in three colors and manual everything. What a camera. The low light is very very good. Blows my NX-5 away but not my FS-100. NX-30 must be even better I would think.

Dan

Ron Evans
April 4th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Dan
Does it have gain control ? The CX700 has peaking, shutter etc but no gain control though the NX70 does have the gain control so I am assuming the NX30 will also have this as a differentiator with timecode and 1280x720P60 and with PCM audio. I will certainly look at the NX30 when it comes out. I already have the variable ND so that isn't a problem. As a B camera to the NX5U it will match nicely with timecode reset etc. A better fit than the CX700 means I can stay with Sony rather than go to the XA10 with the need to get more batteries and chargers. Yes the CX700 sees in the dark with low noise too. NX5U is no match.

Ron Evans

Dan Asseff
April 5th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Ron,

It has gain control but I don't think you can use all the manuals at once.The NX-30 probably unlocks that feature. Haven't had much time to play with it but I can say the "Balanced Optical Steadyshot" is the best I've ever seen. I plan on putting it on a glide cam and see how it fly's this weekend. It look like an eyeball.

Dan

Ron Evans
April 5th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Dan
Just downloaded the manual and can see it has gain limit. Something I do no have on the CX700.

Ron

Emmanuel Plakiotis
April 8th, 2012, 12:08 PM
In Europe they market the Sony hdr-pj740ve which has only 32Gb of memory and in typical Sony tradition is more expensive than in US. I checked the specs and it seems to be a difference in size as well. Does anybody know if there is 96gb euro model and if the size difference is legit or a mistake in specs? Both models look alike in pictures though.

Troy Lamont
April 10th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Dan
Just downloaded the manual and can see it has gain limit. Something I do no have on the CX700.

Ron

Downloaded the manual for the HX30? If so where?

Thanks.

Ron Evans
April 11th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I was referring to the CX760V manual. I too would love to see the NX30 manual.

Ron Evans

Ozzy Alvarez
April 13th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Here's a write-up if the camera. I like the XLR module.

Sony HXR-NX30 camcorder: built-in projector, 96GB storage for $2,500 (video) -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/02/sony-hxr-nx30-camcorder/)

According to the Sony Press release, the NX30U will be out in June. I plan to purchase a new camera this summer to replace my ageing HVR-A1U. I've been looking at the HXR-NX70U, but, this new camera intrigues me alot. Should I focus on getting on getting the NX70U or wait for the NX30U to come out and compare and contrast them and then make a decision? What should I do? NX70U or NX30U?

Ron Evans
April 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Well since the NX30 is really a consumer PJ760 with XLR attachment and clearly some firmware upgrades to timecode etc you may be better off buying the NX30 and the waterproof housing Underwater Handycam Camcorder Housing | SPK-HCH | Sony USA (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666430151) for the PJ760. It will cost less, be a true waterproof housing and the unit will have the latest great image stabilizer. No contest as far as I can see. I will be looking to get one in the summer to replace my CX700.

Ron Evans

Cliff Totten
May 22nd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Has anybody been able to confirm yet if the NX30 allows for true independent gain, shutter and iris control?

Has anybody spotted the NX30 user manual yet?

CT

Noa Put
May 23rd, 2012, 07:02 AM
Only 2 seem to be available now, see on the right side under "brochures" on this site:
Sony : HXR-NX30E (HXRNX30E) : Product Overview : Other (http://www.pro.sony.eu/biz/lang/en/eu/product/nxcamcorders/hxr-nx30e/overview)

Dan Asseff
May 23rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
I found this but you have to register first. http://www.pro.sony.eu/biz/lang/en/eu/product/nxcamcorders/hxr-nx3d1e/manuals

Alister Chapman
May 24th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I have a demo unit that I'm reviewing. It doesn't appear possible to get full independent control of iris, shutter and gain. You can choose to manually control the exposure, shutter and iris, but then the others become automatic, only one can be controlled manually at once. You can set an AGC gain limit which can be as low as 0db and this stays set while you change the exposure, shutter or iris but full simultaneous manual control of both shutter and iris appears impossible.

Dan Asseff
May 24th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Well that is sad. Save your money and get the HDR-CX760, it's image is wonderful.

Dan

Buba Kastorski
May 24th, 2012, 06:06 AM
IS is outstanding, but unfortunately that is not something that I really need, cuz I don't shoot handheld, and my G10 has slightly better image;

Sony CX760 vs Canon HF G10 on Vimeo

Ron Evans
May 24th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I have a demo unit that I'm reviewing. It doesn't appear possible to get full independent control of iris, shutter and gain. You can choose to manually control the exposure, shutter and iris, but then the others become automatic, only one can be controlled manually at once. You can set an AGC gain limit which can be as low as 0db and this stays set while you change the exposure, shutter or iris but full simultaneous manual control of both shutter and iris appears impossible.

This is as I expected. It's a PJ760 with some firmware changes to give timecode, LPCM audio, full indication on the LCD, 720P etc and of course has XLR audio with mic and I expect the larger FV70 battery. I think the difference in price to the PJ760 is reasonable and I will replace my CX700 for it when it comes out in Canada. Will make a better companion to my NX5U. I think the picture will be identical for the NX30, CX760, PJ760 etc in the new lineup from Sony as they are all essentially the same camera.

Ron Evans

Noa Put
May 24th, 2012, 07:19 AM
my G10 has slightly better image I"m suprised to see that the g10 outperforms the sony in low light, I always thought sony had the edge with their xmor technology. Too bad only that the nx30 is so expensive and it's way to much for what it offers, for only 500 euro extra I can get a panasonic ag ac130.

Buba Kastorski
May 24th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I"m suprised to see that the g10 outperforms the sony in low light,
so am I, cuz i was really hoping to replace my g10 and low light performance is my main concern, but I am afraid I will need to go higher price bracket to get better than G/XA10 low light performance

Ron Evans
May 24th, 2012, 08:49 AM
European prices must be very different. AC130 is about $3695 and NX30 is $1998 at B&H Photo that's almost $1700 difference so you could buy a matching PJ760, bag and extra batteries as well and still be less than the AC130. If you are to handhold the camera there is no competition the Sony's are far superior with their image stabilization. They are just very different cameras with totally different purposes.

Ron Evans

Ron Evans
May 24th, 2012, 08:51 AM
so am I, cuz i was really hoping to replace my g10 and low light performance is my main concern, but I am afraid I will need to go higher price bracket to get better than G/XA10 low light performance

So am I as my CX700 at 21 db has a lot less grain noise than my NX5U at 12db and certainly sees more in the dark than I can see !!!

Ron Evans

Noa Put
May 24th, 2012, 09:24 AM
European prices must be very different. AC130 is about $3695 and NX30 is $1998 at B&H Photo

If I recalculate to US dollar there are 2 large videostores in Belgium that sell the panasonic ag ac130 for 4252 dollar and the other asks 5190 dollar.

For the nx30 The price is 3544 dollar but I just found another store selling it for 3164 dollar. (that's all vat included, are the prizes on B&H in or ex vat?)

Ron Evans
May 24th, 2012, 10:08 AM
For comparison the list price from the manufacturers WEB site , AC130.....$3895 and for the NX30 .... $2300. Tax is not included because it is totally different depending on where you live.

Ron Evans

Cliff Totten
May 31st, 2012, 09:36 PM
@Alister;

Thanks for the info on your test NX30 unit! Can you tell me if the NX30 displays any "gain" information at all during recording? The term "exposure" is such an ambiguous thing. I expect this from a "consumer" camera but not from a "pro" NXCAM model.

Seems that the NX30 offers very little firmware features over it's "crippled" PJ760 "Handycam" sister.

Could your test camera possibly not have the final firmware loaded?

I was excited about buying an NX30 as a 4th camera for my collection but if it's got the typical "Handycam" crippling tricks than I see no need to replace my CX760.

Thanks for the info Alister! (cant wait to see your full review!)

CT

Adam Palomer
June 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM

I was looking for the "professional" version of the CX760 and was hoping the NX30 would be it. But now that you confirm that it doesn't do ALL manual at the same time, I can pretty much rule it out.

It's a disappointment for sure.

Do the people at Sony really think that an XLR adapter and a few negligible differences justify the price difference between the NX30 and the CX760?

I'm planning on purchasing the Product: DR-100MKII | TASCAM (http://tascam.com/product/dr-100mkii/) Tascam DR-100MKII and use it to record audio.

The Tascam's pre-amps are guaranteed to be quieter than what Sony will offer with the NX30 and I can use it in place of a wireless microphone by placing it anywhere I want, without being limited.

Jay West
June 13th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Right now, B&H is listing the CX760v for just under $1400 ($US) and is taking orders for the NX30 at just under $2000 ($US). For the extra $600, what you get with the NX30 that you don't get with the CX760, as far as I can glean from the above and B&H, is:

* a lens hood
* an XLR audio module with phantom power capability
* an external stereo shotgun mic
* ability to record LPCM audio
* ability to shoot 720p/60 (in North America) in addition to the 1080i and 1080p/60 that you get with the CX760;
* the projector
* a slightly larger LCD viewscreen (3.5" versus 3")
* ability to lock Auto Gain levels

Ron indicated there may be an ability to lock timecode with an NX5. Any info on how this is or will be done?

Any additions to the NX30 over the CX760 that I have missed in my list?

Has anybody found a place to download a user's manual for North American versions of the NX30? (B&H is projecting camera availability at the end of June, so maybe a manual has not been posted yet.)

The B&H website lists "FMU storage" is an option. Any idea what that means? Can you add an FMU128 as one can with the NX5? Why would you do that? (Other that maybe, going on a very long shoot where you might have a long time between opportunities to offload video?) Or are they simply talking about the ability to record to cards as well as internal flash memory?

Ron Evans
June 13th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Jay, the info I have is that it has 3" LCD just like the PJ760. To me its exactly the PJ760( which has the projector and in fact is the only version available in Canada not the CX760) with firmware changes and the XLR adapter. It also has the larger FV70 battery as I think the PJ760 has a FV60, comes with the hard drive connecting cable that is extra for the consumer Sony's. Normal download to PC is with the attached cable that is located in the wrist strap but there is also a connector that allows connect directly to a USB hard drive for backup in the field that will work for the other cameras in the Sony line but is an extra, VMC-UAM1. A far as I can tell the additions are well worth the cost difference if they are of importance to your use. For me the LPCM audio is worth the difference as well as resetting timecode on both NX30 and NX5U ( you do this by setting both units to free run then using the remote to reset timecode so that both will then reset to zero at the same time)

Ron Evans

Les Wilson
June 13th, 2012, 06:57 PM
For another $800, the NX-70 starts to look attractive with a real lens ring, manual controls, LPCM, 1080/60p and a nice wide angle at the low end.

Ron Evans
June 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Main advantage of the NX70 is its dust and rain proof and has a 3.5" rather than 3" LCD. Other than that its a CX700 at three times the price with a zoom rocker that doesn't work well. Wide angle on these Sony's is around 26mm for all of them as they are basically the same camera with slightly different features. The NX70 has a switch for zoom , focus and iris. The CX700 has a wheel with control of focus, exposure, iris, shutter speed, AE shift, white balance shift. Which seem to be left off the NX70. Unless one needs the dust and rain protection I still think the NX30 is a better deal. New stabilizer and I expect much the same functions as the NX70 had over the CX700 as far as timecode, LPCM audio 720P etc. One could likely buy a real Sony waterproof housing for the NX30 which would make it really water proof.

Ron Evans

Jay West
June 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
B&H is also carrying the PJ760 at $1598 ($US) --- $1498 if purchased in the next three days.

So, comparing the PJ760 to the NX30, we are talking about an extra $400 more for the NX30. For the extra $400, you get the XLR module with phantom power, the external stereo shotgun mic, the lens hood, the ability to set time codes with an NX5 (seems great if you have one, as I do), LPCM audio recording and the ability to lock-down the AGC.

I agree with Ron that the extras may be worth the price difference, if you want them. The only a bolt-on XLR adapter that I know of that gives phantom power is a Juiced Link unit that costs $299. I find LPCM audio useful (I use it all the time with my NX5). The ability to synch time code with my NX5 also would be useful for my multi-cam projects. The extra mic is worth something as is the lens hood.

This is not like the MC50 for which you paid double the price of CX550v to get a lens hood and proprietary external mic module.

I got the info on the 3.5" viewscreen size from B&H. Apparently, their listing is wrong. They'll probably correct it when the camera actually is released.

I would like for the NX30 to have a lens ring, but I can't quite picture how a lens ring would fit in so small a camera with that floating lens and sensor assembly. I might be more interested in the NX70 if it were to be my primary cam and I lived in a wet climate as in Ireland or the Pacific Northwest, and I needed a ruggedized unit to haul with me. I would be a lot more interested if it were $800 less than it is.

What I want the NX30 for, though, is for second cam work in multi-cam projects and as my "take it everywhere" cam. I've been pretty happy with the CX550v, but am tempted by the new balanced IS, the audio module and the 1080/60p capability.

Les Wilson
June 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Main advantage of the NX70 is its dust and rain proof and has a 3.5" rather than 3" LCD. Other than that its a CX700 at three times the price with a zoom rocker that doesn't work well. ...

The complaint about the CX760 and NX30 was the lack of manual controls. While the cameras may share some internal chipsets, the NX70 package has a different lens with a ring that is absent from the others. Add the larger screen and weather sealing and you have a different camera with better manual functions. And maybe the menu wheel isn't as cheesy. Oh wait, is that a real eye cup on the NX70? And a LANC port too? You obviously never used an underwater case. Pity the zoom is awful.

Mike Beckett
June 14th, 2012, 12:28 AM
As an aside, I've found the NX70's waterproofing to be of really limited value. It's only good if you want to have picture with no usable sound.

You have to take off the XLR unit, it's not waterproof. You can't use any of the jacks (lanc, mic, headphone). So you can't use a decent mic, monitor sound, or get reliable zoom in the rain. The built-in mic pics up too much rain noise.

Yes it has its uses in the rain... But I bought a Petrol raincover for mine!

I should stress that I do physically like the NX70, apart from one or two shortcomings. I'll probably buy a bigger camcorder with more manual controls later this year, but keep the '70 for times when Small is Good.

Les Wilson
June 14th, 2012, 05:25 AM
It's nice to not worry about my 5DM2 and it's lens shooting at the beach, high humidity etc. I think the weather sealing on the MX70 is similar... it's convenient when you are out and caught in some rain or get splashed for various reasons. It makes one less thing to haul around or worry about.

Ron Evans
June 14th, 2012, 07:44 AM
The complaint about the CX760 and NX30 was the lack of manual controls. While the cameras may share some internal chipsets, the NX70 package has a different lens with a ring that is absent from the others. Add the larger screen and weather sealing and you have a different camera with better manual functions. And maybe the menu wheel isn't as cheesy. Oh wait, is that a real eye cup on the NX70? And a LANC port too? You obviously never used an underwater case. Pity the zoom is awful.

I think that the lens is likely the same lens but controlled by the lens ring which has to be a servo to have the multiple controls. Lanc is on all the Sony's in the A/V connector and is something I use all the time. Have controls for the A/V connector and the normal jack connector. Things I like about the NX70 that I hope are on the NX30. Full manual control, data on the LCD showing whether parameter is in manual or auto just like the NX5U. Though Alister seems to say manual control is not there. Will wait and see what the production units are like as most of those features are firmware so could be put on the unit. Lets hope.

Ron Evans

Les Wilson
June 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM
The NX30 has a Carl Zeiss lens. The NX70 is Sony G. LANC is not listed for the NX30 on B&H or Sony UK sites.

Ron Evans
June 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
LANC is called A/V remote on all the new Sony's that use the A/V connector for the remote connection but it is LANC as I use both the remote with the A/V connector and Manfrotto LANC control using an adapter cable on all my consumer Sony's. The NX30 is the same and is listed on the spec sheet if you download the brochure http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment/file/81/1237485120781.pdf Top right hand corner of page 4.

Ron Evans