View Full Version : Nikon D4, Canon 5dmk3, 5dmk2, night test

Oleg Kalyan
April 8th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Nikon D4, Canon 5dmk3, 5dmk2, (Panasonic GH2), comparative test on Time Square, NY on Vimeo

would like to share quick test, my comments on vimeo page, let me know what are your opinions..

Sareesh Sudhakaran
April 8th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Nice test, thanks for sharing. I like the improvements in both the 5DIII and the D4. Did you try the HDMI out from the D4?

Tony Davies-Patrick
April 9th, 2012, 05:45 AM
It shows how close the D4 & Mk3 are to each other in performance. It also shows that the much older Mk2 is no slouch and still is an incredible performer at an amazing price-point.

The D4, Mk3 and D800 all provide fairly clean images and video at high ISO. Even though these were night-scenes there was still a lot of artificial lights and so difficult to see really how they cope in the deepest shadow areas. In this respect, the Mk3 tends to not break/pixelate or colour band as much as the D4 & D800...but the ISO levels really need to be pushed to extreme levels to show this.

In the real-world without pixel-peepers and stop-frame anylists, where content outweighs tiny quality differences, the majority of poeple would be happy working with any of these cameras. I think choosing the right one all boils down to the handling characteristics and workflow that fits your needs.

Oleg Kalyan
April 9th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Tony, thank you, good observations, I really think that cameras already so good, the tools are here, we have to make more films, creative projects..
rephrasing famous quotation, it's not what manufacturer can do for you, it's what you can do creatively!
Cheers,
I actually found that Nikon have amazing low banding codec, starting from D5100..
for light sensitivity, have to do more tests, just for fun!