View Full Version : NEX 700 Skateboarding at 480 fps

Nigel Akam
April 12th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I've got the new FS 700 for less than 24 hrs. Slow motion is the main draw for me to this camera. So I found the local skate park, and the guys were keen on showing off their moves. One skateboarder is even in college for TV production.

There is definitely less resolution, and aliasing at 480fps. But last week our only option was the Phantom. Features like super slow motion up to 960 fps in a camera that's sub $10k is something that will make the FS 700 very attractive.

It is slower to work in super slow mo. You record into a buffer, then when you stop recording, it writes it to the card. Makes it difficult in a run n gun situation. We lost opportunities to shoot skaters because the camera was still writing to the card. Just have to pick the right moments.

I set a picture profile with the cinema 1 gamma settings and change a couple of other things, cut it in FCP 7, and did a basic grade with the 3 way CC in FCP.

Sony FS700 - Skateboarding at 480fps on Vimeo

Nigel Akam
Director of Photography
www.njacam.com
twitter: @nigelakam

Koravik Rakpetchmanee
April 14th, 2012, 09:54 AM
impressive slo-mo but like you said there is low resolution, and aliasing.

I think the footage is very usable for full hd with this resolution and aliasing.

David Heath
April 15th, 2012, 05:05 PM
impressive slo-mo but like you said there is low resolution, and aliasing.
Only at 960fps, though? At 40x slo-mo!!!

Even the 480fps material is reasonable, if not up to the standard of lower framerates, but to get 240fps - 10x slo-mo - at full quality is remarkable. Totally trumps any other camera (even ones costing far more) that's been available up to now.

If slo-mo is important to you, surely no other camera even comes close?

Jim Ross
May 15th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Awesome footage! It looks like it's time to upgrade from the HPX170! With the action I shoot this will hit the mark nicely.