View Full Version : Manfrotto LANC problem

Scott Taylor
April 30th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Hi guys, I purchased a NX70P the other day to replace my old PD170. the problem is that my Manfrotto LANC controller which worked fine with the PD170 does not work with the NX70P for some strange reason.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know of any LANC controllers that work well with the NX70P?

Chris Soucy
May 1st, 2012, 12:35 AM
Scott,

Check out this Forum to see if there is a firmware upgrade to fix your problem (or check out Sony).

There has to be something pretty fundamentaly wrong if your Lanc controller does zip. Could it be dead? Broken wire, perhaps?

Have you tried it with a different camera to see if it is, indeed, still extant?

Good luck.

CS

Scott Taylor
May 1st, 2012, 02:21 AM
I've done the most recent firmware upgrade already.

I just tried it in my Sony PD170 again and the Manfrotto LANC works fine in it, but nothing in the NX70P.

Is anyone out there using a LANC on their NX70P? What brand

Scott Taylor
May 1st, 2012, 02:34 AM
The light comes on but nothing happens on the camera

Chris Soucy
May 1st, 2012, 04:46 AM
Er, could this be a menu option to enable it? Just a thought.

CS

Ilya Spektor
May 1st, 2012, 10:48 AM
I am using Libec Lanc controller, it works on both PD-170, and NX-70U. You need to try some other controller, it might be a bad contact in your NX-70...

Chris Soucy
May 1st, 2012, 04:20 PM
It might be worth testing any other ports/ connectors in the same area/ same I/O strip.

It's possible the ribbon cable to said strip has either not been fully pushed home or has somehow become wholly or partially disconnected.

If more connections are not working, that's proof positive that's the fault, else it must be a faulty socket for the Lanc port.

If the Lanc controller itself is proved working, the problem must be with the camera.

Think it might well be winging its way back whence it came in pretty short order.

(I think it highly improbable the Lanc code set for the camera would somehow be markedly different to any other Sony unit, so I think that can be ruled out).

CS

Greg Clark
May 1st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Which Manfrotto model do you own?

Scott Taylor
May 2nd, 2012, 03:02 AM
Manfrotto 522

Scott Taylor
May 2nd, 2012, 03:29 AM
Er, could this be a menu option to enable it? Just a thought.

CS

Yep, tried both on and off in the menu. Does nothing.

What freaks me out a little is that nowhere in the manual does it refer to the remote as LANC, which makes me wonder if they changed the protocol somehow. Don't ask me why they would, but why have they stopped referring to the remote function as LANC as they used to do on all the cameras?

Greg Clark
May 2nd, 2012, 06:30 AM
The Manfrotto 522P sold by B and H is for Panasonic which is opposite of LANC.

Scott Taylor
May 2nd, 2012, 06:21 PM
That's interesting because it has worked perfectly on my Sony PD170 for years

Scott Taylor
May 2nd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Actually now I'm confused. On the adjustable bar for my controller it has 522PB16 which according to the Manfrotto site is just the extendable pan bar.

This number led me to believe I had the Manfrotto 522 LANC but according to the Manfrotto site the 522 has internal batteries (3x AA) which is different to mine. I don't have the removable cap on mine that the 522 does.

So it seems I have the Manfrotto 523Pro (there's no model number on the controller, only a serial number) with a 522PB16 extendable bar.

Of course none of this explains why it doesn't work with my NX70P

Chris Soucy
May 2nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Er, Scott.............

"internal batteries"? For a Lanc? Huh?

Ah, the 521LX, of course, for anyone els who was head scratching at that one. Programmable, no less.

Does anyone know why, all of a sudden, Sony and Manfrotto no longer refer to "Lanc" and use "Remote"?

Is it labeled "Remote" on the camera OR use the Lanc symbol or both?

Back to the chase.

You know the Lanc works with another Sony camera = Lanc is working.

It doesn't work with the NX70 = "Remote" doesn't mean "Lanc" or faulty connector or connector not enabled or plug in wrong hole.

To prove the point you need one of two things:

1. Another Sony capable Lanc that either does or does not work with the camera

OR

2. Another NX70 to prove your Lanc either does or does not work with it.

I'm sure you can pluck one of those two out of thin air, no problems.

CS

Scott Taylor
May 2nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Er, Scott.............

"internal batteries"? For a Lanc? Huh?

Ah, the 521LX, of course, for anyone els who was head scratching at that one. Programmable, no less.

Does anyone know why, all of a sudden, Sony and Manfrotto no longer refer to "Lanc" and use "Remote"?

Is it labeled "Remote" on the camera OR use the Lanc symbol or both?

Back to the chase.

You know the Lanc works with another Sony camera = Lanc is working.

It doesn't work with the NX70 = "Remote" doesn't mean "Lanc" or faulty connector or connector not enabled or plug in wrong hole.

To prove the point you need one of two things:

1. Another Sony capable Lanc that either does or does not work with the camera

OR

2. Another NX70 to prove your Lanc either does or does not work with it.

I'm sure you can pluck one of those two out of thin air, no problems.

CS

Yeah the 522 uses AA batteries according to this
Manfrotto522PLANC Controller - Panasonic (http://www.manfrotto.com.au/VideoProductsExtraDetail.php?Category_Code=080&Record_Number=75)

But my one has no cap at the end of the handle which means it must be the 523Pro
Manfrotto523PROLANC Controller (http://www.manfrotto.com.au/VideoProductsExtraDetail.php?Category_Code=080&Record_Number=125)

looks like

http://www.manfrotto.com.au/VideoImages/523PRO.jpg

Anyway, on the side of the NX70P it's labelled REMOTE and not LANC like it is on my PD170

Being in a remote area I'm kind of limited for testing options. I did try my LANC controller in another guy's NX70P before I bought mine and it didn't work in that either but given the brief viewing at the time (we were both busy filming) we assumed he just didn't have the remote function enabled.

Silly me assumed that Sony wouldn't change an existing protocol that's worked so well for years. It's a little disappointing, but at the end of the day the NX70P is perfect for my requirements (100% outdoors, uploading to youtube).

So given the information I currently have it looks like I'll have to buy another controller for my NX70P. I'll have to search out works works I guess and test it myself before I lay down any dollars.

Chris Soucy
May 2nd, 2012, 10:27 PM
Umm, have you tried asking Sony?

Someone there must know what gives, they can't simply re - write the Lanc protocol without saying squat, if, indeed, that's what's happened.

CS

Scott Taylor
May 2nd, 2012, 11:39 PM
Actually i rang them today. The guy on the phone (a bloody kiwi :) ) didn't have an answer for me but he did ask their IT department.

He was surprised that Sony didn't even offer a remote for the NX70P (he looked it up), but didn't have an answer for me regards the REMOTE/LANC question. Most of the stuff they deal with is the consumer stuff and so he didn't have much info on the pro stuff although he did ask me if I knew about the firmware upgrade.

I told him I've already done the upgrade (first thing I did after I tried the camera and that awful zoom).

He gave me a number to try. Going to call it shortly.

Scott Taylor
May 3rd, 2012, 12:00 AM
Tried Videocraft, where I bought the camera. They knew of no problem but reckoned the camera was pretty new so they hadn't heard much back about it. They reckoned i should try Sony again.

Chris Soucy
May 3rd, 2012, 12:42 AM
Whilst doing a bit of research on your problem, I perused the Sony Oz site.

If you click on the "remote enabled" camera link, it takes you straight to the NX70 and a host of others.

Something going on here.

Have they re - programmed "Remote" NOT to be Lanc, but something else, as Lanc simply couldn't do it?

Makes sense in a way, so much has changed since Lanc was introduced, maybe simply not enough bits/ bytes for newer cameras?

I'll stay tuned.

Oh, BTW, enough of the "bloody Kiwi" nonsense, I'm a Canadian, Australian, Pom (working on Kiwi) who just seem to have washed up here as flotsam.

So there!

Regards,

CS

Dave Blackhurst
May 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
Don't have the NX70, but I've got some familiarity with Sony and their LANC implementations... I'll take a wild blind swing at this...

First, is there a "dedicated" remote minijack style port? Or is this through the A/V jack as has been Sony practice on Handycams for several years now? And do you have access to ANY other LANC controllers you can test against the jack on the camera?

There ARE some variations on implementation of features accessed through the LANC port, but the BASIC functions (on/off record, photo, and zoom) SHOULD work unless the remote is not communicating with the camera. Sony does have a "signal" on the A/V port that lets the camera know that a LANC is present, and I'm suspicious that it's something related to that sort of "lockout" that is preventing your remote from working as expected.

I got somewhat familiar, when reverse engineering the A/V jack, with how Sony handles the LANC signal (still doesn't make me an expert!), and I found that different controllers sometimes had quite different results that "expected", although once it works, the basic stuff should work fine, just need to figure out where the "breakdown" in the signal cahin is happening. Got to do some "elimination" tests...

Mike Beckett
May 3rd, 2012, 09:34 PM
The NX70 has a dedicated "Remote" port as well as a combined AV/remote port along the right hand side near the hand grip.

I use my Libec Lanc control with no problems, but it is very basic, with just zoom and start/stop. I prefer it that way, not too many buttons to press by accident during recording. (I used to use a Bebob Zoe DV controller, and it was just too easy to press the power off switch!).

Now, I've never heard of this brand, but I was first made aware of the use of the right hand side AV port for remote here:

Helin HL-R1AVR Controller (http://www.proav.co.uk/Helin-HL-R1AVR-Controller/p30865.aspx)

This comes complete with pictures of the NX70, where you can see both ports.

I'm not sure what the advantage of the AV port connection is over the more usual Lanc-type connector. The NX70 manual is particularly vague about that, in that true Sony way.

I do recall from elsewhere that some Sony camcorders don't support all the functions of Lanc, which might be why the refer to it as "Remote" instead of "Lanc".

Scott Taylor
May 3rd, 2012, 11:24 PM
The NX70 has a dedicated "Remote" port as well as a combined AV/remote port along the right hand side near the hand grip.

I use my Libec Lanc control with no problems, but it is very basic, with just zoom and start/stop. I prefer it that way, not too many buttons to press by accident during recording. (I used to use a Bebob Zoe DV controller, and it was just too easy to press the power off switch!).

Now, I've never heard of this brand, but I was first made aware of the use of the right hand side AV port for remote here:

Helin HL-R1AVR Controller (http://www.proav.co.uk/Helin-HL-R1AVR-Controller/p30865.aspx)

This comes complete with pictures of the NX70, where you can see both ports.

I'm not sure what the advantage of the AV port connection is over the more usual Lanc-type connector. The NX70 manual is particularly vague about that, in that true Sony way.

I do recall from elsewhere that some Sony camcorders don't support all the functions of Lanc, which might be why the refer to it as "Remote" instead of "Lanc".

That's a bit bizarre, so it connects to the AV Port. Weird!

i'll look into the Libec LANC

Scott Taylor
May 3rd, 2012, 11:29 PM
Don't have the NX70, but I've got some familiarity with Sony and their LANC implementations... I'll take a wild blind swing at this...

First, is there a "dedicated" remote minijack style port? Or is this through the A/V jack as has been Sony practice on Handycams for several years now? And do you have access to ANY other LANC controllers you can test against the jack on the camera?

Yeah It's a dedicated 2.5mm mini-jack. It's on the left in this photo, labelled as REMOTE

http://www.proav.co.uk/Gallery/products/DSC_5614_webProduct.jpg

I've got no other LANC's unfortunately, I live 70km from the nearest decent town and I can't think of anywhere in that town that would have a LANC (except maybe the TV station). Even the place where I bought the camera - 300km away - indicated that they didn't have a LANC in stock.

Mike Beckett
May 3rd, 2012, 11:50 PM
Scott,

The port is actually labelled "AV / R" (I assume the "R" means "remote").

I've never seen that on prosumer cameras before. The Libec controller uses the usual 2.5mm remote port on the left of that shot.

The Libec is also relatively cheap too, which is a plus when it lives on my tripod permanently and gets a fair bit of abuse. Better to wreck a £100 controller than a £400 one!

Dave Blackhurst
May 4th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Hmmmm... from the description, there are TWO injection points for the LANC... both the A/V - R, which is what the handycams have used since IIRC the HC3, PLUS a dedicated 2.5mm port, which was the "traditional" interface.

I'll venture a guess that that's where the problem lies - I know for certain that the A/V has a "signal" using a resistor between two contacts to tell the camera the A/V based remote is connected, and that it should expect LANC input. 2.5mm SHOULD be plug in and go... Perhaps try the "remote" function in the menus in BOTH on and off?

I can't understand why a "standard" 2.5mm LANC isn't working, as even using an adapter to allow one to work through the A/V jack was 100% reliable on any LANC controllers I tried, at least as to basic functions.

Maybe pick up a cheap LANC on eBay to test with? You say the remote is still working with the PD170?

Chris Soucy
May 4th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Scott, how far away are you from a Dick Smiths?

Do you own a multimeter?

If you can find somewhere to beg/ borrow/ steal/ buy a "bare bones" 2.5mm stereo plug, and have use of a half decent multimeter, plug the, er, plug, into the "remote" hole, leaving the shroud off.

Using the multimeter, check to see if you can find a +5volts level betwen any two of the three pins.

I'm starting to wonder if Sony have maybe made a bit of a screw up with the NX70 and not even conncted the remote port to the electrics. If you can't find 5 volts between any two of the three pins, there's no power, equals no Lanc.

This is starting to get a bit bizarre.

CS

PS: Dick Smiths = Radio Shack = Maplins = your usual corner electronic components store.

Scott Taylor
May 4th, 2012, 02:04 AM
It obviously has some power because it illuminates the light on the LANC controller, it just doesn't do anything else.

Dave Blackhurst
May 4th, 2012, 12:18 PM
More puzzling! Power is there, but no response to commands...??? Have you tried contacting Manfrotto? Since you tied your controller in another NX70 and it didn't work, but we have a report of another brand working... sort of suggests there's a problem at the "speaking" end that's causing the camera to not understand the instructions beind sent. LANCs are programmed as well, so there's the possibility that the controller end is the one not entirely to "spec".

I seem to recall some problems with other Manfrotto/Sony cam combos, you might try running a search on this forum and see if anything pops up? DVi sometimes has answers or help buried deep in the "archives"...

Chris Soucy
May 4th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Scott.................

If the camera does, indeed, have two possible ports for Lanc/ Not Lanc control, maybe the menu Remote On/ Off setting isn't the end of the story.

Perhaps there's another Menu switch to select I/P from one port or the other, as I can't believe both ports could be active at the same time.

Powered, yes, but data enabled, no.

God only knows what it would be labeled though.

Give those Menus another close scrute.

CS

Scott Taylor
May 4th, 2012, 06:55 PM
After having a good look through the manual I've found the menu setting for the remote is only to turn on/off access to the supplied wireless remote (which is as useful as tits on a bull).

I've tried powering up the camera with the LANC already connected, I've tried connecting it with the camera already on, I've tried connecting the LANC cable at the camera end first and then at the controller end, it just doesn't work with my NX70P.

I think I'll just go buy the Libec unit seeing that works apparently.

Alastair Traill
May 4th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Quote: - After having a good look through the manual I've found the menu setting for the remote is only to turn on/off access to the supplied wireless remote (which is as useful as tits on a bull).

In the absence of Lanc: -

When I upgraded from a PD 150 with Lanc I ended up with 2 cameras that had IR remotes. Even worse both were designed to only receive the IR signal from the front. I found the IR remotes could be made more useful by using a simple reflector to direct the signal from some other direction into the sensor. It is also possible to buy TV remote extenders in either kit form or already made up. These have a sensor that picks up the signal from the remote, copies it and retransmits via an IR emitting diode that can be at the end of a lead at least several metres long. I have sited the emitters close to the camera’s sensor.

I would prefer Lanc but the IR remote is very useful, Jaycar sell an extender kit for about $25.

Dave Blackhurst
May 5th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Chris was barking up the same tree I was... but because of the signal resistor used in the A/V jack, indeed the Sony schematics often show parallel injection points from what I've been able to suss out. Actually pretty carzy when you get the service manuals and you see how they've put I/O function interfaces in various places!

The IR remote on/off is actually handy - nothing like a stray IR signal turning your camera "off" or to standby in the middle of a live shoot! Thus the advantage of WIRED - no "strays"!

I still think might be worth contacting Manfrotto, maybe they can shed some light on the situation, but other than that, yep, probably time to buy another "new toy" to plug into that NX...

Mike Beckett
May 5th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I do recall from elsewhere that there were problems with the more complex Manfrotto remotes on various cameras, and I'm sure they needed an update at one point. Hard to say if it's Sony's fault or Manfrotto's though.

As Dave says, do let Manfrotto know. They might be able to do something if it's not a one-off, and might be glad of the heads-up (and maybe make it a freebie for you!). The NX70 probably share the same gubbins as the NX30 and other compact Sonys that are coming onstream, so it may not be a minor problem. Who knows!

Scott Taylor
May 5th, 2012, 06:09 AM
The IR remote on/off is actually handy - nothing like a stray IR signal turning your camera "off" or to standby in the middle of a live shoot! Thus the advantage of WIRED - no "strays"!

I agree that having the ability to switch it off it a great idea but it's been a rare occasion when I've actually used any of the remotes that have come with my Sony cameras (or any camera besides my DSLRs).

I'd rather they gave me the bigger battery than a remote. :)

Mike Beckett
May 5th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I know what you mean Scott... every time I have sold/exchanged a camera, the remote is still in its plastic bag and untouched. I've never had the need for them! I'm sure someone, somewhere in Sony-land likes them, but it's hardly a key feature.

Alastair Traill
May 6th, 2012, 01:55 AM
From the NX70U manual, is this relevant?

18. REMOTE jack
The REMOTE jack is used for controlling playback, etc. on the video device and peripherals connected to it.

Scott Taylor
May 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I read that, but it doesn't make much sense, and Sony don't actually make an attachment for that purpose.

Adam Gold
May 7th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Yeah It's a dedicated 2.5mm mini-jack. It's on the left in this photo, labelled as REMOTESo from what I can gather from the manual, the port on the left is the dedicated REMOTE port (LANC) and the one on the right is the AV/R (also remote) port. Here are a couple of things to try:

Have you tried using the LANC port with nothing connected to the AV/R port? Sony often has a bizarre hierarchy of which ports are active when multiple ports are connected.

Also, have you tried a LANC to AV conversion cable? They're cheap and readily available and I got a few of them when I upgraded my small Sony Handycams but not my Manfrotto LANC Controllers. Sub-mini at one end for the Manfrotto and AV D-connector at the other end for Sony AV/R.

Here's an example, even though they're out of stock at the moment. Imagine they could be found on eBay.

VariZoom Mini Audio/Video to LANC Converter Cable VZ-AV/LANC B&H

If you need to use the AV for monitoring as well as LANC, the crane mfrs make splitters that will allow you to do both. Check with Cobra Crane -- one of my students has this and it works great on his VG20.

Scott Taylor
May 8th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Interesting idea, I'll have to look into that.